Question Upgrading to dual RAM: add another stick or buy 2 new sticks?

tuffluck

Mar 20, 2010
I have a Sager laptop with 16gb of "Unnamed" DDR4 RAM. I was thinking of just buying another 16gb stick with the same specs/latency. Not that I need 32gb, but that would be the simplest solution. On the flipside, since I don't know what brand RAM this is stock, I could just buy two new sticks altogether. In fact g.skill ripjaws 2x8gb is the same price as one Crucial 16gb. I'm just thinking if "stock" brand is awful, then getting a known brand might be better, or maybe two of the same brand work better together?

If the brand really doesn't make a difference, I guess I'd rather have 32gb, plus this way I won't lose the stock stick in case I ever need to send in the whole laptop for warranty. Thoughts?

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
If you aren't running short of memory, I wouldn't fool with it. Even if your installed memory is 2133 MT/s, and even if the motherboard will let you clock memory higher than 2666, it won't make a big difference. It would be a very expensive way to gain a few percentage points.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If the brand really doesn't make a difference, I guess I'd rather have 32gb, plus this way I won't lose the stock stick in case I ever need to send in the whole laptop for warranty. Thoughts?
on a laptop that's not designed for high memory usage, just grab another 16 single of near same spec and pair it up that way.

You dont need to pair them up exactly, unless this laptop is used for gaming, but even then laptop ram are typically slow anyhow compared to xmp desktop ram, so it would be nearly unnoticeable.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If I were you I'd double-check that the laptop can handle the amount of memory you want to install in it, but as others have said, if you haven't verified that you need the extra resources, then sod's law says it's a pointless upgrade.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
its a sager... im fairly sure it can handle 32gb sticks even in pairs, but i would also check to be sure, however old spec's sometimes wont list as the max cap ram sticks at the time of writing could of been changed.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
its a sager... im fairly sure it can handle 32gb sticks even in pairs, but i would also check to be sure, however old spec's sometimes wont list as the max cap ram sticks at the time of writing could of been changed.

A RAM checker website should give you the information you need (such as crucial.com) and I'd trust it.