Upgrading on Verizon and other questions

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Doesn't look like Verizon will be getting any new phones before the new data policies take effect, so I may as well just upgrade now.

I have 3 phone lines on the account, one is a dumbphone that service is suspended to currently. Primary line is mine(smartphone with unlimited data), and the woman has the other line with a semi-smartphone($10 data).

This is my plan, but I'm unsure how everything will work:

• Upgrade my line to newer phone, renewing 2 year contract and keeping unlimited data
  • Port the woman's phone number to Google voice, cancelling her line through Verizon
  • Activate my current smartphone on remaining line for her. She can then use GV to text for free, and still have her same number
  • Cancel all text plans through Verizon. I already use GV, but with a different number. I do still have the $5 text plan on my line though

So questions:

Can you text for free with GV, with no text plans from Verizon? I've heard some people get charged somehow? Is it Wifi that's free to text, and you get charged if you use it on mobile data? They don't show up either way on my message details on MyVerizon.

My phone is rooted with custom rom. How do I activate it onto another line? Just get a sim card from a Verizon store? Don't need to bring in the phone?

Lastly, a hypothetical question for circumventing the loss of unlimited data and upgrading in the future.

Say you were to upgrade a phone on one line to an LTE device, getting discount prices and renewing the contract on a tiered plan. Could you then give your device to someone on an unlimited LTE plan, just swapping sim cards? Thereby the unlimited user gets discounted upgrades, and hands down the old phone?