Upgrading older computer for gaming

RoyalBishop

Oct 16, 2006
Hello Ladies and Gents,
I'm looking to upgrade my older system to something more current so that I can play "PUBG". I currently get on CSGO right now but some friends are pulling me into this game. I can run PUBG but its on very low settings and its terrible. Since I already spent the $30 on the game, I might as well throw some HW at my desktop to ramp it up. All input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming primarily, pretty much storage for files after that

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$500

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

USA

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

No brand preference

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Not sure if I will have to upgrade but here is the list of my current parts

CPU - AMD Athlon 2 x4 640

GPU – GeForce GTX 550 Ti

RAM - 16gb DDR3

Mobo – GB Tech GA-880GM-UD2H Socket M2

SSD - 500gb 850

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

No

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

1600x1050/1080

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

Right away

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

No

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Actually, the best use of funds when given a $500 budget is "refurb prebuilt+GPU". The minimum specs of your game asks for an i3-4340 and GTX 660.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
If you sell your current components and keep the rest of your machine you could get:

Ryzen 1600
B350 motherboard
16GB 3000MHz memory
GTX 1060 3GB

for about 600 USD

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I would keep the SSD and RAM, sell everything else (except perhaps the case and PSU if they're good), and buy a used LGA1150 or LGA1151 i5 CPU and motherboard and the best graphics card you can fit into the budget.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Actually, the best use of funds when given a $500 budget is "refurb prebuilt+GPU". The minimum specs of your game asks for an i3-4340 and GTX 660.
Would a G4560 + GTX1050ti 4GB suffice? I still have one of those I built, I could part with it. OP, PM me if interested.

(Sonikku has the other one I built, could ask her if it can play PUBG. Don't know if she owns that game or not. I don't, otherwise I could test it myself.)

Last edited:

RoyalBishop

Oct 16, 2006
Thank everyone for the feedback and information. I plan to build a new system then this christmas but I was wondering if I was to purchase and use a 1060 6gb GPU for now, would I be severely hindered by the CPU? Thanks.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The sort answer is yes, however you may see some improvement but I can't say on how much.

edcoolio

May 10, 2017
Thank everyone for the feedback and information. I plan to build a new system then this christmas but I was wondering if I was to purchase and use a 1060 6gb GPU for now, would I be severely hindered by the CPU? Thanks.

If you are building a new system this Christmas, then definitely get the best video card you can now so you can transfer it in a few months.

The CPU will hinder PUBG, and there is no way around that. Using "gamedebate", and plugging in your Athlon II X4 650, shows the CPU just a hair under the minimum recommendation.

However, your current video card is WAY under the minimum. Not even close.

If you are going to upgrade the cpu/motherboard/ram in 3 months anyways, you have nothing to lose buying the best video card you can. It will certainly help you play your games better immediately, of that there is no doubt.

If the improvement is not enough to your liking, well, just wait for Christmas.

Go for it.

RoyalBishop

Oct 16, 2006
If you are building a new system this Christmas, then definitely get the best video card you can now so you can transfer it in a few months.

The CPU will hinder PUBG, and there is no way around that. Using "gamedebate", and plugging in your Athlon II X4 650, shows the CPU just a hair under the minimum recommendation.

However, your current video card is WAY under the minimum. Not even close.

If you are going to upgrade the cpu/motherboard/ram in 3 months anyways, you have nothing to lose buying the best video card you can. It will certainly help you play your games better immediately, of that there is no doubt.

If the improvement is not enough to your liking, well, just wait for Christmas.

Go for it.
Thanks for the advice and information. Picking one up now!

RoyalBishop

Oct 16, 2006
You will only need to swap the PSU if it fails.

You are GTG.
Hey edcoolio and others,
I tried out a 1060 and it was horrid, I'm going to purchase a few components to rebuild my system to somewhat of a new status. My funds changed and here is my latest ask.

How does this look?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cCH7zM

I can get the following prices close to my $1200 limit which change after selling a few things I don't use anymore.

PSU and RAM - $253.98 +$20 mail in rebate - Newegg
CPU and MB - $236.53 + $10 main in rebate - Microcenter
Case, GPU and AIO LC - $796.27 - Amazon

Let me know what you think! I really wanted to wait for an x370 MB in micro ATX format but I'm thinking nothing is going to come out anytime soon plus I can always purchase one down the line next year. My buddy is going to OC the system for me. Thanks!!!

RoyalBishop

Oct 16, 2006
That looks good, the only thing I would definitely change is the memory. You can get some 3200 CL14 memory for the same price.
Hello Campy,
I'm getting $35 off of the RAM at Microcenter but they do not have 3200 CL14. Will I see much of a performance hit? Is it worth not getting the discount and going with CL14 3200? Thanks

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I would probably do it, but it's up to you whether it's worth it. It could help you get more performance out of your cpu, not just the memory itself. Your motherboard supports both the memory you chose and the cl14 memory also(both on QVL), but which speed it can run at also depends on what the memory controller in the cpu can do.

Those 3200 cl14 sticks do tend to run better(at or closer to their specified speeds) on Ryzen because they are made with the best memory chips, the samsung b-die.

If the store is close by and you can return the memory if it doesn't live up to expectations, then perhaps you can try that first?