Upgrading my Video Card and PSU [Help Needed]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
The GeForce 600 and 700 series are actually the same chip, just with the model numbers shifted around a bit. For example, the GTX 770 is nearly identical to a GTX 680. Which card to get really depends on the pricing you're seeing. I don't see a price quoted for the GTX 670 you're looking at.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
This is close to what the inside of my computer looks like: http://imageshack.us/a/img152/4940/20120927172715.jpg

Based upon your picture, I hope you plan to clean out some of that dust before sticking the new video card in there. While you have it open, hit it with some canned or compressed air to clean it out (especially the dust in the fins of your CPU heatsink). Blowing out your video card fan and shroud might also solve some of your current overheating issues until you get the new card and power supply as well.

Feb 4, 2014
Based upon your picture, I hope you plan to clean out some of that dust before sticking the new video card in there. While you have it open, hit it with some canned or compressed air to clean it out (especially the dust in the fins of your CPU heatsink). Blowing out your video card fan and shroud might also solve some of your current overheating issues until you get the new card and power supply as well.
That's not my computer; mine is the same model(Or looks the same), but it is not dusty like that.

I ordered the refurbished MSI card and the SeaSonic M12II 620 PSU. I'll post back here regarding how successful this upgrade is when I get them in. Thank you for the help everyone.

Feb 4, 2014
Okay, so I got the card and PSU in. I installed the PSU, and it works. After I made sure that the PSU was working correctly, I installed the graphics card. When I booted the computer, it froze at the boot screen.

Edit: I updated my BIOS to version 7.12. Still doesn't work.

Feb 4, 2014
I think the problem might be due to UEFI, but I don't really know anything about that. I'll give the 6850 a shot and see how it goes.

Edit:
The last post here:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...-GTX-700-Series-Graphics-Card-To/td-p/3247229
reads
"For those that are having issues with the NVIDIA 780, I suspect the issue is in most cases a lack of not having the latest UEFI standard implemented in the bios . UEFI standard 2.3.1 is probably the required level and that might only be available in the later HP version 8 bios levels."

Last edited: