Upgrading my original build, help me pick a new mobo

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/timbojh17/saved/#view=6jB7hM

This is my current build, i have had so many problems trying to overclock this motherboard, but i have been unable to find a solution, so my new solution is to spend some money. I needed to upgrade anyway because my old gear couldnt handle my 1080 ti completely (bought a 1080 on blackfriday and got a Ti). Need a new mobo, and some new ram to go with it? possibly a new cpu fan as well. Im just not sure what all will work with my current gear and im not familiar with what new mobo's are any good.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

also if you are good with overclocking check out this thread,

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...and-2500k-overclocking.2530956/#post-39221787

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Well, for starters you'll need a new cpu, motherboard, and ram. If you go with Intel i'd stick with a CoffeeLake 8th Gen i5 8600K. If you go with AMD, i'd go for a Ryzen 1600 (comes with a nice stock heatsink).

You'll need DDR4 ram and it's recommended to get a 3000-3200MHz kit. So this will be a little bit expensive if you're ok with that.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
And a SSD for your OS drive. It should be against the law to build a Ryzen or Coffee Lake system and use a spinner for the OS. :blush:

Last edited:
Reactions: whm1974

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
Well, for starters you'll need a new cpu, motherboard, and ram. If you go with Intel i'd stick with a CoffeeLake 8th Gen i5 8600K. If you go with AMD, i'd go for a Ryzen 1600 (comes with a nice stock heatsink).

You'll need DDR4 ram and it's recommended to get a 3000-3200MHz kit. So this will be a little bit expensive if you're ok with that.

Why would i need a new cpu? my i5 2500k is fine, i just need a mobo that will allow me to overclock it. Unless somehow i cannot transfer it from this one to the new one?

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017

And as far as ddr4 ram goes... why? i can get 32 gigs of 2400 ddr3 ram for half the price of ddr4

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Why would i need a new cpu? my i5 2500k is fine, i just need a mobo that will allow me to overclock it. Unless somehow i cannot transfer it from this one to the new one?

Because you said this in your OP:

This is my current build, i have had so many problems trying to overclock this motherboard, but i have been unable to find a solution, so my new solution is to spend some money. I needed to upgrade anyway because my old gear couldnt handle my 1080 ti completely (bought a 1080 on blackfriday and got a Ti). Need a new mobo, and some new ram to go with it? possibly a new cpu fan as well.

Why spend money on stuff that you will only be able to buy used, as LGA 1155 has been out of production for a long time. Maybe if you could pick up those items for cheap. If you spent the money for a 1080ti, it's time to sell your CPU, motherboard, and RAM, and buy a modern AMD Ryzen or Coffee Lake build. If you can't afford the total cost right now, keep your current system and save some money up until you can.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
You know you can't just buy a new generation motherboard and slap your old CPU and RAM in it, right?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Your CPU is socket 1155, the latest socket is 1151. Your cpu is not compatible with today's motherboard's. Also you'll need new ram as everything today uses DDR4, not your DDR3.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
The way I see it you have two options that make sense. The first option is to get a used motherboard which was a bit more high-end than the one you have, for hopefully very little money. The second option is to get new cpu/motherboard/ram and do a proper upgrade. If you're gaming at 4K the first option can make sense, but if not I would strongly advise you pick the second option and upgrade to an intel i5 8400 or better.

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
Your CPU is socket 1155, the latest socket is 1151. Your cpu is not compatible with today's motherboard's. Also you'll need new ram as everything today uses DDR4, not your DDR3.

I understand now. My plan was to replace it with an old mobo, i was using pcpartpicker so it was only showing me socket 1155 mobo's. possibly keep the same ram, since i found out that windows 7 home cant handle over 16 gbs anyway. So now i realize im looking for mostly old parts. Honestly if i could figure out how to overclock this mobo i would be happy for another year, but i think if i get an 1155 with pci 3.0 i will be happy for a few years with an overclocked i5 and my 1080ti. i thought about buying some faster clock speed ddr3 ram because it was cheap, but i believe the 16gb i have at 1600 is fine

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
The way I see it you have two options that make sense. The first option is to get a used motherboard which was a bit more high-end than the one you have, for hopefully very little money. The second option is to get new cpu/motherboard/ram and do a proper upgrade. If you're gaming at 4K the first option can make sense, but if not I would strongly advise you pick the second option and upgrade to an intel i5 8400 or better.

Thanks for the reply, yea i was mostly looking for peoples opinions on how i can make my computer the best it can be for the cheapest. going from pci 2.0 to 3.0 and being able to overclock my cpu for 80-160 bucks seems like worth while investment that will last me a year or two. I'm mostly just looking for an increase in fps on pubg.

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
Because you said this in your OP:

Why spend money on stuff that you will only be able to buy used, as LGA 1155 has been out of production for a long time. Maybe if you could pick up those items for cheap. If you spent the money for a 1080ti, it's time to sell your CPU, motherboard, and RAM, and buy a modern AMD Ryzen or Coffee Lake build. If you can't afford the total cost right now, keep your current system and save some money up until you can.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thats what i am going for here, problem is all of my socket motherboards are sold out or only available used from china for 100-160 on ebay.

i just wanna make a small investment in a new mobo, maybe a fan and be good for 2 more years. quad core at 4.8 and a 1080ti with 16gb 1600 in my opinion should be fine for 1080p 144 fps gaming on most games. i care more about performance than i do quality of image.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I understand the OP's position.

Sometimes you just have to move on to a newer setup. Buying used can also mean getting someone else's problems.

What he could do is sell the mobo/cpu/ram and put that towards something current.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Timothy Hansen

Dec 13, 2017
There is a user selling theirs in our for sale forum. He's only selling it as a combo with their CPU right now, but maybe you can contact him and maybe work something out. The motherboards have been out of production so long now, they are getting pricey. But like Iron Woode said above, I'd personally just sell it as well, and move up to a modern setup instead of buying used.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/fs-i7-2600k-and-gigabyte-z68-ma-d2h-b3-motherboard.2523337/

I'm not allowed to view that thread for some reason?