Upgrading from Nikon D7100 to Full-Frame?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I currently have a Nikon D7100 that has served me extremely well for about 7 years now. Not that I've been any means reached the limits of the camera, but having a full-frame would definitely help with wider landscape shots and better night-time photography. This is especially true because I will be on a 6-month work trip Sweden and I'd really love to tour the country (and the rest of Europe) and do a lot of hiking and photography while there. No shortage of opportunities for amazing photos. I do bring my camera along with me for hikes and have done a photography workshop (Death Valley). I plan on doing more similar workshops in the future.

While most of my recent photography work has been landscapes or otherwise stills, I do enjoy action photography as well (cars & motorcycles I can do pretty damn well).

Currently thinking a D850 would last me a long, long time. I know mirrorless cameras are become quite good, and both Nikon and Canon are focusing on them for future development. With that said, are there any other cameras I should be considering?

All my lenses are designed for APS-C, so I'm assuming I'll either have to lose some area using them on a full-frame or slowly upgrade my lenses to match a full-frame body. Here's my list:

Nikon 35mm F/1.8G
Tokina 14-20mm F/2
Tokina 100mm F/2.8 macro
Nikon 18-200 super zoom F/3.5-5.6

I used to have a Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 that I sorely miss - that range is just so damn flexible. Also wanted to get a Nikon 400mm F/4 at some point, but I'm not sure I need that kind of reach just yet.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
I currently have a Nikon D7100 that has served me extremely well for about 7 years now. Not that I've been any means reached the limits of the camera, but having a full-frame would definitely help with wider landscape shots and better night-time photography. This is especially true because I will be on a 6-month work trip Sweden and I'd really love to tour the country (and the rest of Europe) and do a lot of hiking and photography while there. No shortage of opportunities for amazing photos. I do bring my camera along with me for hikes and have done a photography workshop (Death Valley). I plan on doing more similar workshops in the future.

While most of my recent photography work has been landscapes or otherwise stills, I do enjoy action photography as well (cars & motorcycles I can do pretty damn well).

Currently thinking a D850 would last me a long, long time. I know mirrorless cameras are become quite good, and both Nikon and Canon are focusing on them for future development. With that said, are there any other cameras I should be considering?

All my lenses are designed for APS-C, so I'm assuming I'll either have to lose some area using them on a full-frame or slowly upgrade my lenses to match a full-frame body. Here's my list:

Nikon 35mm F/1.8G
Tokina 14-20mm F/2
Tokina 100mm F/2.8 macro
Nikon 18-200 super zoom F/3.5-5.6

I used to have a Tokina 80-200 F/2.8 that I sorely miss - that range is just so damn flexible. Also wanted to get a Nikon 400mm F/4 at some point, but I'm not sure I need that kind of reach just yet.

Since you will need to purchase new lenses, just go with a Nikon Z6 + Z adapter. The Z6 sensor is going to blow away what you have in the D7100, and the mirrorless cameras will add built-in shake reduction. The D850 weighs a lot, and the system feels a lot less modern. The Z lenses are sharper than my Zeiss, but the Zeiss definitely wins for bokeh/transitions.

Reactions: biostud

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Since you will need to purchase new lenses, just go with a Nikon Z6 + Z adapter. The Z6 sensor is going to blow away what you have in the D7100, and the mirrorless cameras will add built-in shake reduction. The D850 weighs a lot, and the system feels a lot less modern. The Z lenses are sharper than my Zeiss, but the Zeiss definitely wins for bokeh/transitions.
I'd be just a little wary of going to the Z6 + Z adapter for APS-C lenses, only because the D7100 and the Z6 have the same sensor resolution at 24MP so taking a crop of the FF sensor will give you an output of 16MP, which is a big reduction for landscapes. If that's not a concern then I agree, the Z6 is likely ideal. I personally would jump up to a Z7 if it's within the budget. If one can afford the Gen 2 models, even better but the improvements are minor (better AF, better video, another card slot, but same sensor, etc).

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Would definitely look into mirrorless with adaptor if I'm ever going to upgrade my d7500.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
went with a D850 because a coworker and a pro photographer i know were both selling their stuff for good prices (getting the D850 body for 1500). hilariously, both are selling D850s, and they both have the same name.

here's what i'm getting:

D850
Nikon 85 F/1.4 - older model but still excellent
Nikon 80-200 F/2.8 - older model but still excellent (i had an older tokina 80-200 that did a damn good job. i miss it so it's good to have a sports lens back)
Nikon 14-24 F/2.8 - this is THE landscape lens. takes absolutely stunning photos
i currently have a Tokina 100mm macro, which does a damn good job close in.

if anyone wants some Nikon F-Mount crop-sensor lenses...i will be offloading mine
Tokina 14-20 F/2
Tokina 12-24 F/4
Nikon 28-80 F/3.3-5.6G