Upgrading from a GTX670

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I don't upgrade GPUs that often, but I feel like it is nearing time. I currently have a GTX670, and it is starting to show it's age.

I don't like buying the top-of-the-line model (such as the 980/titan), as I think the bang per buck is too low. With that in mind, my choices seem to be between the 970 or waiting for pascal to hit in 2016.

The 970 seems like a pretty marginal upgrade compared to the 7xx series, and its an aged card already (release in Sep 2014 IIRC?). However, 2016 is a lon ways away and leaves my computer in a sad state for the rest of the year.

Should I get the 970? Wait till pascal? Look at the radeon 4xx series? What do you guys think?

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
Best to wait for a "killer app" that you really want to play. Some ppl are into GTA5 where a 970 would help out a lot vs a 670. If not wait for your next big game.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Best to wait for a "killer app" that you really want to play. Some ppl are into GTA5 where a 970 would help out a lot vs a 670. If not wait for your next big game.

I want to play Witcher 3, and the 670 is scraping the bottom of the barrel it would seem when ti comes to W3. I'm also interested in GTAV (waiting for steam sale this summer), MGSV, and Star Wars Battlefront. But I also want to get an oculus rift, and I'm worried about the 3.5GB memory issue when it comes to the rift and future versions of the rift.

The 970 seems like a stepping stone to me, and I'm worried it will just become defunct in a couple of years. Considering it is still $400, I'm hesitant to shell out for it. But maybe I'm wrong?

xp0c

Jan 20, 2008
Just sell the 670, and put the money towards the 970. That's what I did recently.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
If the 670 isn't going to give you a satisfactory experience then upgrade to the 970 or wait a month and see what the 3XX series from AMD looks like.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I don't upgrade GPUs that often, but I feel like it is nearing time. I currently have a GTX670, and it is starting to show it's age.

I don't like buying the top-of-the-line model (such as the 980/titan), as I think the bang per buck is too low. With that in mind, my choices seem to be between the 970 or waiting for pascal to hit in 2016.

The 970 seems like a pretty marginal upgrade compared to the 7xx series, and its an aged card already (release in Sep 2014 IIRC?). However, 2016 is a lon ways away and leaves my computer in a sad state for the rest of the year.

Should I get the 970? Wait till pascal? Look at the radeon 4xx series? What do you guys think?

if you want bang for buck wait for the R9 3xx series launch. The launch of the R9 3xx series is likely to force Nvidia to cut the prices on their GPUs. You could grab a GTX 980 for USD 350. Hold on till June 18th-24th.

If you are in a hurry get a GTX 970 or R9 290X.

Last edited:

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Consider AMD otherwise your 970 will start performing like garbage as soon as pascal is released

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I can't use single cards, not enough performance for me. I went from 670 SLI to 970SLI. Happy. Next I'll go with SLI again for sure. Even a Titan X wouldn't do it for me as a single card, it's close though. I know that's probably a lot more than you're willing to spend though.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
If I had the money I would take Titan X single over 970/980 SLI or similar even with AMD if there was an equivalent.

Anyway, here I'd go for 970/290/290x or wait for 390.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
At GTX 970 is at least 60% faster overall. Some games you'll double your FPS. If you don't want to pop for a GTX 980 it seems like a good choice.

tornadog

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2003
I want to play Witcher 3, and the 670 is scraping the bottom of the barrel it would seem when ti comes to W3. I'm also interested in GTAV (waiting for steam sale this summer), MGSV, and Star Wars Battlefront. But I also want to get an oculus rift, and I'm worried about the 3.5GB memory issue when it comes to the rift and future versions of the rift.

The 970 seems like a stepping stone to me, and I'm worried it will just become defunct in a couple of years. Considering it is still $400, I'm hesitant to shell out for it. But maybe I'm wrong?

I just wanted to chime in since I own a 670 too. I see you are worried about the 670 not being able to handle Witcher 3. I can tell you from my personal expereince the game works fine at 1920 x 1080 at all high settings. Even in battle scenes my FPS is around 30-40 and I dont have any slowdowns.

In GTAV, my only problem is I cant change textures to high from normal because it needs more than 2GB VRam but even then it looks much nicer than my Xbox One version.

If the card does not have any problems, other than your perception that its outdated; I suggest sticking with it till it gives out

Of course on an enthusiast's forum like this, everybody is going to recommend you get the latest and greatest to see a few more fps or the ability to turn on a few eye candy settings. But if you want prudent advice, I say stay with the 670!!!

Last edited:

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I just wanted to chime in since I own a 670 too. I see you are worried about the 670 not being able to handle Witcher 3. I can tell you from my personal expereince the game works fine at 1920 x 1080 at all high settings. Even in battle scenes my FPS is around 30-40 and I dont have any slowdowns.

In GTAV, my only problem is I cant change textures to high from normal because it needs more than 2GB VRam but even then it looks much nicer than my Xbox One version.

If the card does not have any problems, other than your perception that its outdated; I suggest sticking with it till it gives out

Of course on an enthusiast's forum like this, everybody is going to recommend you get the latest and greatest to see a few more fps or the ability to turn on a few eye candy settings. But if you want prudent advice, I say stay with the 670!!!

Oh wow, that's awesome. Thanks for the advice!

I think I'll keep the 670 at least until June, and then reasses with the release of ATI's next line. If I can get decent performance out of W3, then honestly I'm probably set for the rest of 2015. There aren't many games coming out this year that will be more demanding than that.