Upgrading from 460 GTX ... Suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Very good pricing on HD 7850 2GB right now. GTX 650 Ti Boost is also very worthy of consideration. Both would be fine with your CPU, unlocked or not. Just OC it as much as you can.

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
I'm not going to add any specific recommendations, I'd need to know your budget and whether you decide to upgrade CPU/MB also. However, I will add this and I recommend very strongly you follow my advice:

Do NOT buy a cheap graphics card ONLY because your current CPU and MB are going to bottleneck it. If you can afford a 770 superclocked or a 280x then you should get the best GPU for the money you can find. Then save up some money and get a new CPU/MB and RAM a little down the road. If you buy now based on your current system and get a card that is already somewhat outdated, when you decide to upgrade the rest of your system you'll just end up replacing the new graphics card again and wasting money.

Whenever I buy a GPU and NOT a whole machine, I always get one good enough that I'll use it in my next build without upgrading. Then, depending on how good or bad the system performance is I can always upgrade the video card midway between full builds or hold off. That way you're getting the most use out of a single graphics card and not wasting money on stop-gap upgrades.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I'm not going to add any specific recommendations, I'd need to know your budget and whether you decide to upgrade CPU/MB also. However, I will add this and I recommend very strongly you follow my advice:

Do NOT buy a cheap graphics card ONLY because your current CPU and MB are going to bottleneck it. If you can afford a 770 superclocked or a 280x then you should get the best GPU for the money you can find. Then save up some money and get a new CPU/MB and RAM a little down the road. If you buy now based on your current system and get a card that is already somewhat outdated, when you decide to upgrade the rest of your system you'll just end up replacing the new graphics card again and wasting money.

Whenever I buy a GPU and NOT a whole machine, I always get one good enough that I'll use it in my next build without upgrading. Then, depending on how good or bad the system performance is I can always upgrade the video card midway between full builds or hold off. That way you're getting the most use out of a single graphics card and not wasting money on stop-gap upgrades.
absolutely terrible advice. It would be asinine to spend $400 on a video card when he might not have a PC that can come close to taking advantage of that for years. Only if he plans on upgrading the rest of the PC very soon would that be logical.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I have a eVGA 460 GTX, AMD Athlon II x3 440 CPU, 4GB memory, Raptor HDD, MSI mobo. I want to upgrade the graphics card so I can play current games similar to, say, Call of Duty MW4 with the 460 GTX @ 1920x1080

Cost is a major factor so the less expensive the better ... Any suggestions?

Since no one is giving you good advice or asking what your budget is; what's your budget?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
OP, time for an OS upgrade and more ram too. it is confirmed that Call of Duty Ghosts will require 64 bit and 6gb of system ram. http://community.callofduty.com/com...ty-ghosts-pc-system-requirements#.Umg--PlOP0k

Minimum System Requirements:

CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 40 GB
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 450 / ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 or better
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card
Internet: Broadband Internet connection for Steam and Online Multiplayer.