Question Upgrading from 1050ti

jcmeyer5

Feb 15, 2021
I've been out of the game for a bit, so please bear with me.

My son and I have near identical rigs - 4670k, 16GB, SSD, 1050 Ti, 1080p 60hertz display (older Samsung televisions). We play a couple games more than others - COD Cold War, Forza Horizon 4. We have a habit of setting the render resolution at 1440x816 and low settings. We get 60-70 fps during our games. Since our displays wont be changing anytime soon, we want to be able to run our games at a solid 60FPS (probably need over to make sure it doesnt drop under) at max settings. So I am looking for upgrades. I had been considering RX 580 8GB cards, but unsure if that will get us there.

I would stay in the nVidia universe, but the prices are crazy enough that I am looking for an upgrade in the ATI/AMD family. I'd like to keep it under $200 each, but for the right deal I can go to $250.

Thanks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would stay in the nVidia universe, but the prices are crazy enough that I am looking for an upgrade in the ATI/AMD family. I'd like to keep it under $200 each, but for the right deal I can go to $250.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only half-way gaming-grade GPU that you're going to find for those prices, in-stock, is going to BE an occasional GTX 1050 ti 4GB... that you already HAVE. So, no, there's no upgrades available in that price range, really, anymore.

I agree with the others, re-evaluate after six months. We'll see where Crypto goes by then. Maybe the situation will be worse, if that's even possible. (Even GT 1030 cards are now selling above $100 ! And those aren't "miner cards".)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
4 years and no viable upgrade path at a reasonable price.
Are we in a "build and upgrade your own PC" apocalypse?

If stock were available, I would suggest 1660 Super was a good choice.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
OP, you're not going to get any graphics card at any sort of reasonable price right now. Best course currently is to sit tight, and wait six months to a year, and see what the situation is then.

When miners are buying up laptops(!) for mining, things have really jumped the shark.

(Even GT 1030 cards are now selling above $100 ! And those aren't "miner cards".)

People are getting desperate, and the 1030 is the minimum viable card. Sad. Just sad.

Are we in a "build and upgrade your own PC" apocalypse?

I bought a really cheap 5600XT last year on sale, and on a lark. Had buyers remorse due to all the Navi bugs, drivers were unstable as hell. Runs good now though.

I can sell that with a decent profit* right now, and it might turn out to be the best deal I've made in years. That alone tells something.

*something, something, cold dead hands, something...

Reactions: Leeea