Upgrading current HTPC to cutting edge

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I created my HTPC setup 4 years ago and have been happy with it but I'm hoping things have gotten better.

I am currently just running the HTPC box just right next to my TV. What I want to do is hide the box downstairs and buy a new smart TV that can hopefully do everything I do right now. I guess my question is can current smart TV's easily connect and navigate windows media center on the HTPC? I want to record/watch etc everything recorded. I also want to easily browse my movie/tv collection.

I fear the tv's cannot connect to media center and access the live/recorded TV. I watch all my TV in the house through the network (4 HD Homerun tuners). I'll probably have to get a media extender but it seems that was so 2010 and there really aren't any out there anymore.

My ideal setup:
-set server in the basement that contains all old divx movies/mp3s/live/recorded TV (windows media center)
-Use smart tv features like netflix/amazon instant/pandora
-Do all of the above using the remote that comes with the TV

Thanks

Sep 12, 2004
Currently there are no TVs that have a WMC extender function and with MS appearing to be abandoning Media Center it is unlikely there ever will be such a thing.

Your only viable solution would be a separate extender. The Ceton Echo is due to be released soon so that may be something you might want to consider.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Currently there are no TVs that have a WMC extender function and with MS appearing to be abandoning Media Center it is unlikely there ever will be such a thing.

Your only viable solution would be a separate extender. The Ceton Echo is due to be released soon so that may be something you might want to consider.

Many TV's do support DLNA, so you could set up a Plex server and navigate it from a Smart TV.