Question Upgrading Core i3 to Core i7 Mobile

flynempire

Apr 12, 2022
Hello, I have been searching thru Google and even this forum to get some info on an upgrade but I need some help.

I have the following laptop. Samsung np300e5a-a05us (Yes its Old). It has a Core i3 2310M and it contains the HM65 Express chipset. This chipset can support certain Core 3rd Gen processors. I was looking at i7-3612qm 35W TDP.

Does anyone have any insight if this might work? If I have to go with a 2nd Gen Core I will but if I can go a level up I would.

Samsung website does not show me any CPU support chart with max upgrade etc.

Thank you

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I do the same with screens bumping beyond spec. The CPU thing though is a bit more complex depending on more factors like BGA vs socket. If it's a BGA then you end up swapping the mobo or get knee deep in soldering.

If you can find a service manual for the laptop there might be some clues.

flynempire

Apr 12, 2022
OK so I found these 4 CPU listed below may work

Core i7-3520M

Core i7-3540M

Core i7-3612QM

Core i7-3632QM

They all are 35W TDP and work off the Socket G2 (988B). They are 22 nm process compared to 32 nm for the Core i3. It looks like the only thing I need to check for it to really work is to see which supports the HM65 Chipset.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Going back to gen 3 IIRC the QM is kind of like a K model in ADL or H in the laptop version. Should see a decent boost in performance.

Go to compatible products for the list of CPUs.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Then matching the socket / power is your concern. If it's under powered there may be issues like bsod.

+1

I think if I found that the laptop manufacturer sold exactly the same laptop (down to the board model) but with a higher TDP i7 then I'd probably be more confident that such an upgrade will work. I'd also check whether the same HSF was used in the i7 version.

Re: perils of packing too much of a processor in there - about ten years ago, a customer had an OEM desktop PC (Dell I think?) with an AMD Sempron AM3 processor in. I did a bit of research that suggested it should be able to handle an Athlon II X4 in (95W TDP), and the PC did recognise the processor and short-term tests worked fine. I think the computer died about six months later. In hindsight, I bet the board could only properly handle 65W TDP or something similar.