Upgrading a Tyan 2460 Question

lasirona

Dec 15, 2003
I had one of my cpu's go bad and I thought I would upgrade my Tyan, I just noticed that Tyan upgraded the compatibility list for cpu speeds for this MB. I'm curious, it's hard to find MP1900's (which is the fastest recommended cpu), I'm thinking of getting MP2000's (much easier to find).

Will this work? What bad an nasty things will happen if I ignore the recommendations from Tyan?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
If the BIOS doesn't support it it might see the CPU's being a lower clock speed... or it might not recognize them at all... or it might recognzie them as an Athlon MP @ 1666 Mhz (not give a model number)... or it might work just find and see them as Athlon MP2000's

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
If the BIOS doesn't support it it might see the CPU's being a lower clock speed... or it might not recognize them at all... or it might recognzie them as an Athlon MP @ 1666 Mhz (not give a model number)... or it might work just find and see them as Athlon MP2000's
There's a good chance that if one of these things does happen, flashing the bios to the latest revision will either totally eradicate it, or at least provide you with a workaround.

lasirona

Dec 15, 2003
Just curious, are you saying that the MB will actually run the CPU at the rated speed? Or, is will it run at the fastest supported speed? Or, not at all?

Or, worse possible situation, I'll have to buy them and find out?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: lasirona
Just curious, are you saying that the MB will actually run the CPU at the rated speed? Or, is will it run at the fastest supported speed? Or, not at all?

Or, worse possible situation, I'll have to buy them and find out?

It's possible that through a BIOS update it will support the faster CPU's. If you can't find any info, post the model number of your motherboard and we'll see what we can dig up.

lasirona

Dec 15, 2003
Thanks!

Tyan MP (2460)

My current setup is with a MP1400. As you can see, it would be nice to have both cpu sockets humming along. I did a search on all of the forums and the search came up empty.

lasirona

Dec 15, 2003
Thanks again! I updated my BIOS a while back to v1.05. I was only able to find in the CPU section supported CPU's. Since it's hard to find MP1900's I wanted to move to faster CPU's without having to upgrade MB. I'm not exactly sure what the effects are if I try to use a CPU that's faster than the documented CPU.

I wasn't sure if the clocking was set by the MB and if putting a faster CPU in will just run the CPU at the MB highest rated speed. Plus, I don't know what role is played by the speed setting from the BIOS (if any). It might just barf and not do anything which would be my worst case.

I just sent Tyan an email with the same question. I'll let you know what their response is when I get it.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

lasirona

Dec 15, 2003
Bummer! I was expecting it but it would of been nice if Tyan would of responded to my email with an answer.

The email I received back from Tyan was just a bunch of links to the support section of their website (memory, cpu, power supply, bios, etc). There was also a section with questions and answers, very simlar to a FAQ page for various issues.

Well, it looks like my next purchase will be the last set of CPU's I purchase for this MB. Unless you find other useful info.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
2460 doesnt officially support the faster chips because the board lacks the aux 12v and a lot of peeps are getting fried 20pin PSU connectors. If you search the www.2cpu.com forums you will find some threads regarding this problem and a couple mods you can do to help, like adding an aux power connector (soldering it to the board) to help. My best suggestion is to get a good MPX board which will support all the processors and bid that 2460 farewell. IMHO

lasirona

Dec 15, 2003
Well, I've looked at many of the message boards concerning this MB and I would have to agree. At the moment, this board hasn't given me any problems and I'm not financially ready to make an expensive jump. Maybe in another 3 - 6 months I'll be ready. In the meantime, I'll keep my eye on the reviews for a suitable replacement.

I've been seeing the Operon's any opinions on this CPU? Does it support SMP system? (I would assume yes)

lasirona

Dec 15, 2003
FYI. . .. A reply from Tyan

This motherboard has a completely different layout and power scheme than all
the other AMD products we make. Due to this fact the CPU compatibility is
not going to be the same as our other dual AMD offerings. This product will
only support up to the Athlon 1900+ MP CPU's and there are no plans to
change that upper limit either now or in the future.

At least it's now official, I'm glad they at responded it puts this subject to rest in my mind. >;0)

may

Dec 26, 2001
you may burn the atx power connector if you run cpu > 1800mp. that is a very common problem with 2460