Upgrading 3930k to 4930k (HP Phoenix 800-050se)

Eggalones

Jan 3, 2014
Hi All,

As the title suggests, I am interested in upgrading the processor in my HP ENVY Phoenix 800-050se by one generation, from an Intel i7-3930k to an Intel i7-4930k. This is because I can sell the 3930k and obtain a new 4930k for less than a $100 spread, and $100 is worth a 10% performance increase to me.

The issue is whether the newer Intel i7-4930k is compatible with my current motherboard. I am 100% certain it can be, but I cannot verify that it actually is. Newegg and various other venders warn upgraders going from Sandy Bridge-E to Ivy Bridge-E (i.e. from 3930k to 4930k) to verify whether their existing LGA 2011 motherboard will require a BIOS flash update in order for it to recognize the new processor. Because HP uses a mysterious motherboard in its high-end desktops, finding this information has thus far been impossible. I will outline what I have tried, and hopefully someone here will be able to suggest something, because I am out of ideas.

The motherboard in question is HP's "Pittsburgh2" (IPIWB-PB). Here is a link to the official HP specification sheet. Pittsburgh2 is in my computer (the Phoenix 800-050se), which is currently equipped with an Intel i7-3930k, and the Pittsburgh2 is also equipped in other HP computers utilizing the newer Intel i7-4930k (see e.g. Phoenix 810-150se). This is why I am 100% certain the motherboard can support both chips.

My (so far) unanswerable question is, "Are the BIOS the same on both machines?" If so, I will not need to update the BIOS, and the chip will work; otherwise, upgrading will require a BIOS update. HP's update page for the 800-050se lists no BIOS update. But neither that page nor the update page for the 810-150se lists the BIOS version installed on either computer. Effectively, I cannot lookup information about BIOS versions, which prevents me from comparing my BIOS version to that of another HP computer using a 4930k on the Pittsburgh2 motherboard.

My next step was calling HP for help, many times. All of the attempts failed. The first call was to technical support. A support agent said that he would not look up product information without a product's serial number, but the only way to obtain that number is to purchase a computer. This didn't help because I need the BIOS version for the 810-150se, but I own the 800-050se. Thinking I may have simply gotten a grumpy tech guy, I called again (and again, and again . . .) until I got the same answer from 5 different people. I repeated a similar phone call process with HP’s departments for customer service, sales, and parts. Each department referred me back to tech support, which refused to answer my question; namely, “Is the same BIOS version on both the 800-050se and the 810150se? If not, where do I get the update, because it isn’t on the HP website?”

The next step in my search lead me to research third-parties. I discovered that the Pittsburgh2 motherboard is a product of the Pegatron Corporation, a division of ASUS. So, I contacted Pegatron via e-mail - the only way for consumers to contact Pegatron. It turned out that Pegatron is an OEM company that by contract with HP cannot support motherboards used in HP products. They apologetically referred me back to HP, but the previous paragraph explained how that went. Then I contacted ASUS, but they told me the same thing as Pegatron. Finally, I called Newegg's sales people because I know they have experts to answer compatibility questions. Those experts, however, lack access to information on HP's Pittsburgh2 motherboard.

Apparently, the answer lies with HP but HP lies about having it. I have never had such a difficult time finding such basic information. All motherboards I have owned in the past have a simple webpage where this information is easily accessible. If anyone has any information that will answer my question, I would greatly appreciate it!

Without the information, my only option will be to spend nearly $600 on an Intel i7-4930k to test compatibility. But if it the test fails, then I will have to eat money on returning a used processor (the 4930k), or else spend an additional $300 on a normal ASUS motherboard. But that would set me back more than $1,000 after tax, which is 10-times more than I should spend on this upgrade. Clearly, this simple but illusive piece of information would be extremely helpful for me. Please help!

Thank you

-Eggz

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi All,
This is because I can sell the 3930k and obtain a new 4930k for less than a $100 spread, and $100 is worth a 10% performance increase to me.

There is a small problem with your reasoning... The performance increase won't be 10%, it is more like 5-10%...

Take a look at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/995?vs=994

In stuff that tasks CPU HARD, like Cinebench or x264, the increase is more like 5%, in others like compiles it is higher. It is NOT WORTH effort and 100$ to increase your performance by 5%. If you have an itch to upgrade, look for mobo and put 3930k in and overclock towards 4.3-4.6 fixed on all threads. That will gain you ~25% in highly multithreaded tasks and ~10-15% in singlethreaded ones.

Or even better, wait for HSW-E.

P.S. Congratulations and so well explained and reasoned post, it's a rarity here :)

Eggalones

Jan 3, 2014
There is a small problem with your reasoning... It is NOT WORTH effort and 100$ to increase your performance by 5%. If you have an itch to upgrade, look for mobo and put 3930k in and overclock towards 4.3-4.6 fixed on all threads. That will gain you ~25% in highly multithreaded tasks and ~10-15% in singlethreaded ones.

Or even better, wait for HSW-E.

I appreciate your reply. For me, though, it's totally worth it because I enjoy the process and don't mind spending a little money to torture/appease myself with it. As for my current processor, it is overclocked as much as the board will let me, which is okay but not much (4.2 Ghz). Presumably, that will be the same limit if I successfully put a 4930k in my current rig. Doing a higher OC than that will actually cost more than upgrading to a 4930k because I'll need a new motherboard, which exceeds the $100 spread between the processor's we're discussing.

Also, the benchmarks you mention are one set among many I've read. The "10%" thing was just me stating a simplified average, but I understand that processors vary by usage. I simplified just because I didn't want this thread to turn into another "3930k vs 4930k" thread because there are enough of those (and I've read them), and they tend to agree that the 4930k is not that big of an upgrade at all. Okay, I still want it. :biggrin:

In all honesty, though, I will probably also upgrade again to Haswell-E when it comes out. Flipping things on eBay makes this never-ending upgrade process affordable for me, and it's fun :p

P.S. Congratulations and so well explained and reasoned post, it's a rarity here :)

Thanks! My job requires writing daily, so I guess it's in my blood now.

Last edited:

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
I was not questioning "if it is worth the effort", cause that is not something you do on enthusiast forums :)

I was just pointing out that performance benefit will be minor, and redirecting efforts and $ towards changing MB instead would gain a decent performance gain.

Eggalones

Jan 3, 2014
I was not questioning "if it is worth the effort", cause that is not something you do on enthusiast forums :)

I was just pointing out that performance benefit will be minor, and redirecting efforts and $ towards changing MB instead would gain a decent performance gain.

True. I was also considering a simple motherboard swap because the stock one has random compatibility issues that any ASUS or Gigabyte LGA2011 motherboard simply won't face. Ultimately, though, I decided against that because of overall cost into the system. I set a spending limit for this system on the amount I would have spent if I had built it from scratch, like my previous systems. This was significantly cheaper because of some HP coupons I hunted down. My computer contains roughly $3,000 worth of stuff before taxes (maybe $3,300 after). Given that I spent only $1,800 after tax on this system, I was able to buy about $800 worth of upgrades and still be about $700 under what I would have spent on a self-assembly. Next time, though, I am just going for a custom rig. It's cleaner with better compatibility, although I am overall satisfied with my computer. :cool:

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
I'm unfortunately on my phone or I'd do it myself, but if I were you I'd download the latest bios for your computer as well as the one you know supports the 4930k and hash them both with MD5 and see if they are the same. If they are, you can be essentially positive that it will work.

Last edited:

Eggalones

Jan 3, 2014
I'm unfortunately on my phone or I'd do it myself, but if I were you I'd download the latest bios for your computer as well as the one you know supports the 4930k and hash them both with MD5 and see if they are the same. If they are, you can be essentially positive that it will work.

Great thoughts. I have two questions:

(1) Where do you get the BIOS in question because I have searched to no avail?

(2) Can you help with the "MD5 hash" you mention? I'm unfamiliar.

Thanks!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i agree with rambo, an overclock would be vastly superior in gains rather than going 4930k; also, i think you're making your situation out harder than it acually is. compatibilty issues arise from motherboards, not from the components attached to them.

Last edited:

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Great thoughts. I have two questions:

(1) Where do you get the BIOS in question because I have searched to no avail?

(2) Can you help with the "MD5 hash" you mention? I'm unfamiliar.

Thanks!

1) You should be able to download the BIOS updates from the HP website for both of those.

2) Look up WinMD5. Load up each of the BIOS files into WinMD5 and get its hash, then compare the hashes. If they are the same, you're golden, if not, then you're back where you started with not knowing. We can't confirm they don't work but we could confirm if they are the same. There's a good chance they won't match up merely because the BIOS has a different model number in it, but you may get lucky.

I'm on vacation and won't have my laptop for a few days but surely someone from around here can help out as well :)

Biggu

Jan 3, 2014
Hopefully the motherboard can support it bios wise. I know with my EVGA X79 dark when I did my 4930K It required me to change the bios selector to a special one for the ivy bridgeE. not sure what this will add but thats just my 2cents.

Mazza

Mar 30, 2001
I am running a 3930k @ 5.0Ghz and suggest you look to replacing your motherboard first before anything else.

Get yourself a decent Asus X79 board and I suspect that 3930k will go to at least 4.6Ghz-4.7Ghz with decent cooling. You could then update to 4930k, before going to Haswell-E as I'm sure you eventually will. ;)

Eggalones

Jan 3, 2014
I am running a 3930k @ 5.0Ghz and suggest you look to replacing your motherboard first before anything else.

Get yourself a decent Asus X79 board and I suspect that 3930k will go to at least 4.6Ghz-4.7Ghz with decent cooling. You could then update to 4930k, before going to Haswell-E as I'm sure you eventually will. ;)

Yeah, I've stared to consider this. Since the Haswell-E should come out on a variant of LGA 2011, I'm hoping that there will be a backwards compatible board. If so, I'll buy and use that to overclock my existing hardware until Haswell-E becomes affordable or I just want to replace the CPU. Even though my memory kit is DDR3, it's rated at 2133 Mhz, which should hold me over until I can upgrade to the DDR4 that Haswell-E supports.