Upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 problem

some_guy

Mar 29, 2011
I upgraded my Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 with the auto update.

I was asked if I wanted to replace somethings and I said yes when I probably shouldn't have.

Now the system boots to my expected screen with a few icons but not the bar on the top with a way to launch software or a terminal.

I was using the fallback to gnome (2 or 3, not sure) mod

I could use some help to get that bar back.

Thanks.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Look for gnome-session-fallback in your package manager. I don't know exactly what you're running, but that looks close. Maybe the old package got removed, or perhaps you need to select it at login.

some_guy

Mar 29, 2011
Look for gnome-session-fallback in your package manager. I don't know exactly what you're running, but that looks close. Maybe the old package got removed, or perhaps you need to select it at login.

I am not that up on installing packages but I did do this

sudo apt-get install gnome-fallback-session

and it didn't fix the problem.

I can't open a GUI package manager because I can't start a program in the gnome session, unless it is an icon.

I took my disk out and back up the stuff I wanted. I am so glad I had the sense to not encript it.

I may just install Mint next to this and use that. I don't have time right now mess with it.

I am curious if it is possible to get out of a terminal session after doing a cntrl Alt F1

Thanks for the idea.

I did some googling and saw people attacking this from that gnome-session-fallback angle.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
On the login screen, make sure you're using the gnome fallback, or whatever. On the top panel at login, there's an icon to click for selecting which desktop you want. Try some of the options it gives.

some_guy

Mar 29, 2011
On the login screen, make sure you're using the gnome fallback, or whatever. On the top panel at login, there's an icon to click for selecting which desktop you want. Try some of the options it gives.

This computer, which my mother used, does not require a login, and the logout icon was on the bar that is no longer there.