Upgraded RAM, now computer keeps restarting and monitor isn’t receiving a signal

Tatsuya_

Apr 8, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y7ZJLJ

This is my setup. I tried restarting CMOS by taking out the battery for 15 minutes, I tried putting back my old RAM stick, but to no avail. Computer starts, fans spins, and then it restarts, at this point I don’t know what to do, my motherboard doesn’t have jumpers as well for some reason.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would check power connections just to be sure, make sure you have CPU power, motherboard 24 pin power, and PCIE GPU power plugged in properly (if needed). If its not something missed like that,(make sure you are plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard display outs) you already cleared CMOS and tried the old RAM, so it may just be that your motherboard died.

Also, try playing around with the ram in different slots.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
If you are feeling dangerous, change the bios to another version. If you want to play it safe, do nothing.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
This is my setup. I tried restarting CMOS by taking out the battery for 15 minutes, I tried putting back my old RAM stick, but to no avail. Computer starts, fans spins, and then it restarts, at this point I don’t know what to do, my motherboard doesn’t have jumpers as well for some reason.
First of all, I hope that every time you removed/added hardware components you did so after having disconnected the computer from the electrical outlet (by removing the power cable and/or by using the physical switch on the back of the PSU - preferably both because it introduces more safety overall). If you're not sure you did that, it's best to redo the CMOS clear procedure (2-3 minutes without batter will suffice, you can also use a small screwdriver to connect the jumper pins - assuming your version of the motherbaord has them like the V2 manual shows them bellow).

QyOBrg6.png
  • Insert only one memory module in the farthest memory socket from the CPU. (it is referred as DDR4_1 in your motherboard's manual ) Make sure that one module is properly seated.
  • Make sure the display cable is properly connected to your graphics card port and not the motherboard video port (as @Shmee already mentioned)
Your goal is to get video signal, without video feedback it's going to be significantly harder to get to the bottom of this.

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
you might just got a bad stick or your setup really doesnt like that particular ram.
ryzen is very picky when it comes to ram and especially so if you want to run at rated xmp speed.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Hmmm, sounds like memory training is hung up. Are you sure RAM is in the proper slots?