Upgrade i5-3570K

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Hi
I want to upgrade my Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz. PC is mainly for gaming and word document. May someone recommend me some good gaming CPU that is better than my current one. Thanks :)

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Have you overclocked that CPU? If not, you might want to consider overclocking before you spend money on a new CPU because that CPU can still push a really strong system.

Feb 25, 2011
You might want to check out this thread.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2470776

Simple answer is "not much out there that's better enough to bother." An newest-gen i7 will show appreciable gains in a couple of the latest games where threading counts as much as per-core performance, but that's about it, really.

What's the rest of your rig look like? Might be time to upgrade to all-SSDs or replace a GPU instead.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Have you overclocked that CPU? If not, you might want to consider overclocking before you spend money on a new CPU because that CPU can still push a really strong system.
Nope. The thing is my CPU is messing up. It gets very hot and loud, I think it's about to rip. My good friend on AT is checking out the CPU for me atm, but just incase its broke I can come to this thread and read the comments and hopefully get a new CPUA :)

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
You might want to check out this thread.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2470776

Simple answer is "not much out there that's better enough to bother." An newest-gen i7 will show appreciable gains in a couple of the latest games where threading counts as much as per-core performance, but that's about it, really.

What's the rest of your rig look like? Might be time to upgrade to all-SSDs or replace a GPU instead.
Hi here
jCQCU1E.png

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
If its not broken you can probably oc to 4ghz for all cores even without raising voltage. Then this ib is both fast and very efficient.

Feb 25, 2011
Nope. The thing is my CPU is messing up. It gets very hot and loud, I think it's about to rip. My good friend on AT is checking out the CPU for me atm, but just incase its broke I can come to this thread and read the comments and hopefully get a new CPUA :)

Hot and loud are usually fan/cooler issues, not the chip itself.

Probably just time to replace a couple fans (things with moving parts wear out) and slap some new thermal compound in between the HSF and CPU. (It can age out and become less efficient and wicking away heat from the CPU to the heat sink, which in turn makes the fans work harder to keep the CPU cool.)

16GB of system RAM and a 390 is a nice combination of higher-end parts, but I don't think you're CPU is likely holding you back much. (It's not like you've got 4-way SLI Titans or something.) I think you're probably alright just sitting on your box as-is for another year or so. (Unless the new GPUs coming out this summer are incredibly game-changing. Which would be nice, but I'm not the optimistic sort.)

I'd second the comments about OCing your existing CPU - mine took a 4GHz OC with the stock cooler and normal voltage, no hiccoughs. If you get a good cooler on there with fresh thermal paste and a working fan, you shouldn't have any trouble matching that, and running at 4GHz all the time on all cores will probably give you a nice little bump. (Better than upgrading to Haswell, say.)

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
If the CPU is running too hot, replace with a higher performance aftermarket model and overclock a bit. This will literally net you nearly as much gain as replacing the CPU with a newer model, for far lower cost.