Upgrade from GTX 470

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I had a Q9550 oc'd to 3.4 playing at 1920x1200 at high settings(I believe). I have since upgraded to a i5 2500k so don't know how much the cpu upgrade would make.

I don't believe I dropped into the 20s but pretty sure I did drop into the 30s for some stuff.

Yeah i got a i5 2500k also but i saw a thread apparently claiming the jump from core 2 to i7 in BC2 yielded 2x performance if true idk.

Guess we won't know till beta as i considered a upgrade like you but will hold off till late September assuming beta is here at or before that time.

So much excitement for one game but basically this is the only one iv'e waited for this year so hope BF3 performance is near what BC2 was and we will be set. :thumbsup:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I know it's not a value move but a 580 would get you where you need to be performance wise without the hiccups of a sli system. I get 80+ fps on BC2 in multi player with everything maxed. I have a 120hz monitor so I see every fps and it is glorious. If you got a little spare change a direct 2 CU 580 overclocked to 902mhz ain't no joke. :biggrin:

Looking, I can get a Zotac AMP GTX 580 for $336 AR with the 20% coupon. Might have to pull the trigger.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I also have a 470GTX and a couple of months ago asked this very same "Want to upgrade; what should I get?" question.

Most of the same folks who posted replies in this thread posted in mine. They all said the same things; gotta love consistency. You guys rock. :cool:

I'd rather not do a dual-GPU setup if I don't have to. My MB is a non-SLI board anyway, so I can only use ATI GPUs even if I did do dual-GPU.

I decided to wait for the next-Gen cards to come out. AMD 7K series is due in October (or was it December?)....soon, anyway. And it's not like the 470GTX is a 8800GT or similar older card. Unless you're at 25x16 with high details/AA, there's not much a 470GTX can't do pretty well.

Personally, I want at least 30% improvement in performance with less heat generated, in a single card solution. At the end of the year when new hardware comes out, if it's priced too crazy I'll just get a 580GTX for about $150 less than the sell for now.

That's the plan, anyway.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I also have a 470GTX and a couple of months ago asked this very same "Want to upgrade; what should I get?" question.

Most of the same folks who posted replies in this thread posted in mine. They all said the same things; gotta love consistency. You guys rock. :cool:

I'd rather not do a dual-GPU setup if I don't have to. My MB is a non-SLI board anyway, so I can only use ATI GPUs even if I did do dual-GPU.

I decided to wait for the next-Gen cards to come out. AMD 7K series is due in October (or was it December?)....soon, anyway. And it's not like the 470GTX is a 8800GT or similar older card. Unless you're at 25x16 with high details/AA, there's not much a 470GTX can't do pretty well.

Personally, I want at least 30% improvement in performance with less heat generated, in a single card solution. At the end of the year when new hardware comes out, if it's priced too crazy I'll just get a 580GTX for about $150 less than the sell for now.

That's the plan, anyway.

Had a gtx 580 and i found the card pretty much overkill so i traded it off for a almost complete core 2 gamer for a friend stuck on a celeron .

Replaced it with this Asus direct cu2 gtx560 non ti and its been great pretty much a perfect card for me and very cool too compared to the gtx 580 while almost silent .