Upgrade for the New Year

jdkick

Feb 8, 2006
I've been rocking my 7900GS for some time so i'm a little out of the loop...

I plan on watching for deals over the holidays but figure i'm probably looking at either a 9800GTX or 4850 - both seem to offer solid price:performance these days. Given the machine in my signature, how should I fair with something like Crysis (yes, I haven't played it yet)?

Note that this machine is connected to a Samsung 205BW @ 1680x1050. I do realize the CPU is at the lower end but i've been thinking of picking up a new HSF and trying a modest overclock as well.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Get that CPU up to around 3GHz and you should do pretty well with a new video card at that resolution. You should be able to run it on high settings reasonably. (not necessarily "very high")

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
You should be able to take that CPU to 3GHz with ease, most likely with the stock cooler even (my E2160 runs at 3GHz with the stock HSF and a single case fan). Crysis runs fine on my rig; with some custom configs it looks gorgeous and is completely playable at 1680x1050 with no AA.

Definitely OC the CPU, though - the E2xxxs have a huge amount of OC headroom, and it'll boost your performance significantly over stock.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
at the price that a 48701gb and a gtx260 is at right now I would get one of those. They are very cheap for the performance. Especially if you want to run a game like Crysis on high settings.

jdkick

Feb 8, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. Just a heads up that i'm in Canada so pricing is a little different. For example, even sale pricing on a 512MB 4870 or 260 would put me in $300CDN+ territory. I generally don't spend over $200 on any one component and would prefer to stick with that unless it's going to put me at a horrible disadvantage. Although, if the sale pricing gets a little more aggressive over the coming weeks, I may be tempted. ;)

I should also note that i'm powering this system with a 485W Enermax power supply with 32A on the 12V rails. Should be enough.

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
I'd like to say something about those OC Nvidia cards, I will never fall for the "OC" again. you pay sometimes 20-50 more for a card thats merely OCd sometimes around 30mhs and sometimes as much as 100 mhz. Those Ocs can easily be attained thru RivaTuner on the base model card which are always the cheaper ones :p

jdkick

Feb 8, 2006
True, tho i've quite often seen the BfG OC versions on sale for less then the standard clocked cards. That's how I ended up with my BfG 7900GS OC... it was a boxing day sale in 2006 and the price was significantly lower then anything with the same GPU.

jdkick

Feb 8, 2006
Hmm, didn't think about that. I checked a few reviews last night re: OC'd 4830s and it certainly looks like there is some potential. I plan to move the Accelero S1 from my 7900GS to whatever card I buy, so that would help keep the extra heat under control should I opt for the OC route.

On a side note, I briefly contemplated SLI before I feel asleep last night. :) I've seen 9800GTs for around $100/card, but after factoring in a new SLI-capable motherboard and new power supply... well, i'll be sticking with a single card.