Upgrade Advice Needed (kinda long)

bazookajoe

Mar 8, 2000
I have some options that I would like the resident pros to analyze.

I had an old pc running a cyrix pr166+ as a second pc, but my old tyan tomcat mb died. :(
I need to keep this pc running. I can either replace the mb and reuse the cyrix chip along with 64 megs of edo ram. Or I can upgrade it with parts from my current machine. My current pc is a cel 300a oc to 450 on an abit bh6.

I realize that I need to buy a new mb anyway, so why not buy at least a bx mb. That way the old pc can move to 450 and maybe I could upgrade my current pc with a new mb and a cel 533/566. So I would need to purchase a second mb,a cpu, and an atx case(for the old pc).

I have an extra agp card, an old banshee that I could use. As far as ram is concerned I could remove a 64 meg pc100 module from my current setup to "donate" to the old pc.

I am limited by the fact that I don't want to buy any new ram(I am poor and cheap). ;)
Especially pc133, since prices are going up. And I can reuse my old banshee, so no need to buy a new vid. card. The other thing I will need is an atx form minitower.

If I decide to go the way of a new mb and cel upgrade, what mb do you recommend? Keep in mind that I have 128 mb of pc100 ram left to use in this system. And I'll probably end up spending ~$250 for mb/cpu/case. Or I could just replace the old tomcat for less than $100. But the upgrade bug is itching very hard! Must not scratch, must not scratch.... doh! :p

Thanx for taking the time to read and any advice you dish out.

Cosmic_Horror

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
figure out how much you want to spend...
if you go BX, then have a look at anands bx133 article..

or you could go with a vai based board...