Upgrade a Gateway...

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
My buddy wants to put a new video card in his Gateway so he will be able to play SW:TOR with decent frame rates...

Here are the specs:

Specs at a glance:

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor1 E5700 (3.0GHz, 2MB Total Cache)

Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

6144MB DDR3 Dual-Channel Memory (2 x 2048MB Modules & 2 x 1024MB) Expandable to 8GB

1TB SATA hard drive (Green Product - variable RPM)

Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD

16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668739.php

Any Suggestions?

AoS810

Aug 19, 2008
220W psu.. @_@ uhh, im assuming the unit has no dedicated PCI-E power connection? Is the game even out yet? Did a quick search for the release date but says unannounced. Keeping that in mind.. since no benches are out for the game, can't really give a definitive recommendation. I'd say just find the lowest powered current generation video card to put in it.. You're not gonna be able to put anything very powerful in it with that wattage restriction *at least I wouldn't*.

*EDIT* actually I wouldn't even buy anything atm, wait till benchmarks come out and see if a complete system overall would be needed, or at least if a new PSU + graphic card is needed to play at the fps your friend wants. If he decides to do a system upgrade as opposed to an overhaul.. make sure the new PSU & gpu can fit the case.. it looks quite small from the pics.

Last edited:

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
220W psu.. @_@ uhh, im assuming the unit has no dedicated PCI-E power connection? Is the game even out yet? Did a quick search for the release date but says unannounced. Keeping that in mind.. since no benches are out for the game, can't really give a definitive recommendation. I'd say just find the lowest powered current generation video card to put in it.. You're not gonna be able to put anything very powerful in it with that wattage restriction *at least I wouldn't*.

*EDIT* actually I wouldn't even buy anything atm, wait till benchmarks come out and see if a complete system overall would be needed, or at least if a new PSU + graphic card is needed to play at the fps your friend wants. If he decides to do a system upgrade as opposed to an overhaul.. make sure the new PSU & gpu can fit the case.. it looks quite small from the pics.

yeah...by the time he buys a PSU and Card, he may wanna just build a decent gaming rig for around $500.00-600.00

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
well... he COULD get like a radeon 5670 or 5570. that's about the only thing worthwhile that doesn't require a pcie connector. but like you guys said... it would be a waste to bother upgrading it when you can build a brand new respectable gaming machine for ~$500.

imported_Un4given

Jun 8, 2007
I just looked at the link you supplied. From the looks of it, that is a low profile chassis. Even if you could find a decent card for it, you'd have to find one that has the low profile bracket, and that rules out pretty much everything from the mid-range on up.