Upgrade 2gb GTX 760 to 4gb GTX 960?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shipinabottle

Aug 12, 2011
I've owned cards from both AMD and Nvidia that are recent at one point or another (gtx 970, gtx 980, gtx 760, gtx 770, gtx 780 ti, 6850, 6870, 7770, 7850, 7870, 7950, 7970, r9 280x, r9 290x). I can say from personal experience, they both look relatively the same. Sure, some games look better than the other. Overall, it's the same. It depends on the game.

Unless you HIGHLY value power consumption, they're pretty much the same. You can't go wrong with either choice within the same price range. You basically get the same performance at a lower price at the cost of power consumption with AMD. Nvidia offers the same performance with lower power consumption and proprietary crap at a higher price.

Why do you have so many cards? Must've cost a buttload of money. :confused:

I'm quite particular for my audio/visual needs. Once I start adjusting AMD stuff, either I don't see a difference or I see things getting worse than they were; nVidia just have more of a gradual change. I also don't have to adjust a bunch of stuff in order for videos to looks good.

Nvidia has "proprietary crap"? Doesn't AMD also have "proprietary crap"?

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

I'm quite particular for my audio/visual needs. Once I start adjusting AMD stuff, either I don't see a difference or I see things getting worse than they were; nVidia just have more of a gradual change. I also don't have to adjust a bunch of stuff in order for videos to looks good.

I know you're trying to defend them, but it's a fact that Nvidia is 10x worse with this. You can list maybe 3-4 proprietary technologies for AMD, but with Nvidia the list is constantly growing because they're trying to push for making certain games have a terrible experience on AMD cards.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008

Don't own all of them at once. I've owned them at one point or another. Buy/Sell/Trade has helped me extend my spending dollars :). I like to tinker with hardware. Mainly, I just want to see how high I can overclock them, get bored, then move on to the next thing. Rinse and repeat. That's the fun part.

Glad you went with a gtx 970 instead of the gtx 960. I firmly believe the GTX 960 2GB is horrible product because of pricing. As they say, there's no such thing as a bad product; just bad pricing. If it was atleast 3GB, it would have been a fine product at $200; but it isn't. Console ports are really starting to demand more than 2GB. The GTX 960 will hit that VRAM wall before it runs out of processing grunt in some current games and, I predict, in upcoming games.

Proprietary crap refers to "features" such as GameWorks, PhysX, G-Sync, etc. I'm okay with most of the crap except for Gameworks. But that's another topic.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Oh? So the 4gb GTX 960 still won't be much better than my 2gb GTX 760? Lol. I thought the extra 2gb might help my games. I just like 9xx series cards for their lower power draw. Oh, well, I guess 970 it is then...

Here is an interesting comparison between 2GB and 4GB models of the 960.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_mW36BDKs

I'd personally stick with your 760. If you're unhappy with its performance it's doubtful you'd be very happy with any 960's either. I'd either stick with what you have, buy a 970 now if you're not happy with your gaming performance and need an upgrade, or wait for a 960 Ti to come out. There is way too big of a performance gap between the 960 and 970 (970 is comparable to two 960s in SLI) for Nvidia to not try to close that a bit with perhaps a further cut down GM 204 once the R9 300 series releases.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
However, you have continuously ignored that a 960 2GB simply cannot be recommended for 1080P gaming simply because 2GB of VRAM isn't enough or current generation games, and of course those released in the next 2 years. .

2 gigs is fine for a starting point for a 199 MSRP sku. 2 gigs is easily enough for a gamer to enjoy gaming with more sensible settings and resolution for a 199 MSRP starting point.

2 gigs is not enough to max out all gaming titles and if a gamer desires more ram, there are choices and higher end sku's that offer more performance and ram.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
2 gigs is fine for a starting point for a 199 MSRP sku. 2 gigs is easily enough for a gamer to enjoy gaming with more sensible settings and resolution for a 199 MSRP starting point.

It's not just about the VRAM, as you seem to have missed since 960 launched. Even if we ignore AMD, 960 is just a bad product compared to NV's history and compared to a 760. There is no way to hid the fact that a card less than 14% faster made on a brand new architecture and released more than 1.5 years since 760 came out is basically pathetic. But you will go out of your way to never publicly criticize NV's turd products like 8600GT/S series, 550/650/650Ti series and now 960 series. In the OP's case, if he wanted to stick to NV, it was better for him to look at a used 780 card before even considering a 960 2GB. There shouldn't even be a discussion of 'upgrading' from a 760 to a 960 2GB for gaming - it's simply a waste of $.

Again, it looks like we will not agree here at all. I mean the thread is basically done since the OP bought a 970. However, I will never forget how you defended 960 to no end when a card 50-60% faster with double the VRAM was available for months but you would ignore this because it was from AMD. For all intends and purposes imo if R9 290 was called GTX960Ti, there is no way you would recommended a $200 960 2GB -- let's not kid ourselves here. It's going to be fun reminding you in 2 years from now when you'll be recommending $200-240 Pascal x60 card with performance around R9 290X/970 that a gamer could have had that performance 2 years ago for $40 more and enjoyed it from April 2015 to April 2017. :awe:

I remember you also never made a big deal about 670/680/770 2GB SLI being bad questionable buys for keeping beyond 2.5 years, and neither did you bring up VRAM issues with 780 3GB vs. R9 290/290X 4GB, and yet today all of those NV setups are severely compromised. In hindsight, it's pretty shocking that NV actually had the nerve to price 770 4GB at $450 when R9 280X was $300. Holly batman brand name marketing rip-off. Of course you also never criticized or warned that 470/570 would be worthless for next gen gaming with their 1.28GB of VRAM when HD6950 unlocked to a 6970 beat them both in performance and had 2GB. Pretty much you've shown over time that VRAM and price/performance don't matter as key metrics when it comes to NV. It's not a matter if you feel $199 price level justifies 2GB of VRAM and the performance level of a 960 but where does the 960 sit against other competing cards and where does the 960 sit as far as the history of NV's generational x60 upgrades go. In both cases, the 960 fails miserably. Even if 960 4GB was $199, it would still be a bad buy when one of the best after-market R9 290 is just $240. There is no way around the fact that if it wasn't for 960's specific features such as HDMI 2.0, or its perf/watt for OEM systems with $20 300W PSUs, the card is a major let down in today's marketplace. Unfortunately, many uninformed gamers who are paranoid about 750W fake PSU requirement for a 290 and lack of knowledge of performance of a 960 will guarantee that a lot of gamers will be suckered into a 960 purchase without realizing just how much of a compromise this card really is.

What I find eye-opening is given your experience with the GPU industry, you don't have the foresight to see that 960's performance gets worse as we increase the resolution and it's not just related to 2GB of VRAM. As the shader, texture and pixel fill-rate demands increase, 960's performance against other cards gets worse, even losing to a 285 2GB, far behind R9 280X = 7970Ghz and miles behind R9 290X/970. That means as more demanding games come out, 960 is going to be double penalized, both of the VRAM side and the GPU side.

perfrel_2560.gif

But I guess go ahead and use all kinds of reasons why spending $40 extra for an after-market R9 290 = 290X reference isn't worth 50-60% more performance over the next 2-3 years. Certainly in public you won't acknowledge this very point in writing.....:hmm:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Grazick

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
imho,

I don't recommend! My subjective tastes and tolerances may differ and goes beyond just price/performance. You speak with colorful extremism at times--- severely compromised? Pathetic? Turds?

The GTX 960 is a good product that brings Maxwell's strengths to the 199 MSRP price-point that is targeting 660, 560 and 460 customers. It has stiff competition from AMD from a price/performance stand-point and the 960's price/performance is more-so evolutionary and incremental when compared to the last.

Last time I voiced severe disappointment with nVidia was about not being clear about the GTX 970's specs at Rage.

I remember you also never made a big deal about 670/680/770 2GB SLI being bad questionable buys for keeping beyond 2.5 years, and neither did you bring up VRAM issues with 780 3GB vs. R9 290/290X 4GB, and yet today all of those NV setups are severely compromised.

Actually was vocal about offering double-the-ram choice from nVidia and their partners, specifically for multi-GPU, starting with Fermi.

AMD offers strong price/performance and the default higher ram added value and was welcomed. There are premiums for nVidia hardware and the market will decide how much or how long they are attached. It's admirable that you care about gamers' choices, passionate and make strong points but ultimately, the market decides.