Question Updating my computer to SSD drive ?

MRGOOCH

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2004
I have tried without success to change to SSD boot drive and storage without success. My computers motherboard and cpu are 12 years old. It does not show the drive as being there.My cables are good. I believe my BIOS is the problem . Would It be prudent to upgrade my motherboard and cpu again?

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is the spec of the PC in question in your sig?

What's the SATA mode you're using at the moment (IDE, AHCI, RAID)?

Not that I would recommend installing Windows this way, but does Windows setup recognise the other drives you have? (when you're doing the Windows install 'for real', have the other drives disconnected)

I've installed Win10 on a bunch of AM3 systems with SSDs so I would be pretty confident that it's not strictly because it's an SSD. What model and capacity SSD are you using? Did you buy it new?

I agree with tcsenter, first things first, is the SSD recognised in the BIOS. Presumably it's a SATA SSD and you're not using some kind of adapter to get a NVMe drive in your system.

Reactions: blckgrffn and Shmee

MRGOOCH

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2004
It's the system as shown.IDE When I remove a drive it is gone. The SATA SSD drive was a new Crucial 1 TB .Same cables, tried 2 different ones.I have not been able to get into the BIOS.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
It's the system as shown.IDE When I remove a drive it is gone. The SATA SSD drive was a new Crucial 1 TB .Same cables, tried 2 different ones.I have not been able to get into the BIOS.
Crucial MX500? With crucial.cn written on the back?

Had this trouble with a Dell Optiplex using i5 3rd gen. It would freeze with the MX500. It annoyed the hell out of me and had to replace it with Samsung 860 EVO, after which the PC was able to boot successfully. I think the MX500 firmware has trouble with older BIOS.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If there are any (non-beta) updated BIOS images available for your board, it probably would be a good idea to install the latest before you connect up the SSD again.

If I'm using a SSD I normally switch the BIOS to AHCI mode (which may fix your immediate problem), then Samsung's advice with their SATA SSDs is to disable NCQ:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device]
"NCQDisabled"=dword:00000001

I just do it straight after installing the OS. At least with a Samsung SSD if you don't do this then you may start racking up CRC errors in the SSD's SMART stats.

Side note: On such an old system I tend to switch out the SATA cable supplying the SSD for a new one; in my experience it can also be a source of CRC errors (I think they get old and crusty after being in the same position for so long, then moved to accommodate connecting a SSD).

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Definitely find a way to switch to AHCI or even RAID mode on that Dell. It will help a lot with SSD performance.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Getting into BIOS...as soon as the first Gigabyte logo shows up at boot, start pressing <Delete> and <Tab> repeatedly until the BIOS screen appears. If it boots to Windows, try again.

Section 2-1, page 31.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
SSD may have come pre-partitioned in GPT instead of MBR or raw. Is the drive show up in BIOS, detected storage drives/devices?
On second thought, shouldn't matter, Windows 7 supports GPT when used as a secondary non-boot storage. Just can't use it as the boot/system drive (without tricks).

Need to establish that BIOS can detect it first. Do you have the keyboard plugged to USB 3.x (blue) ports or legacy USB 2.0 (black) port? On many systems, the keyboard may need to be plugged to a legacy USB 2.0 port in order to get into SETUP.

I have a PC (HP/Compaq from 2011/2012) here in non-UEFI mode that refuses to enter BIOS SETUP using a USB keyboard even though I have BIOS configured for legacy USB support, fast boot disabled, and 5 second delay to enter SETUP. If I need to enter BIOS/SETUP I have to switch to a PS/2 keyboard, works every time. But USB keyboard works in UEFI mode!

MRGOOCH

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2004
I have managed to get into Bios. I have also checked for updated bios which there is no new revision.I also tried new cable I had without any help. While looking through the Bios I don't see anything related to a SATA drive.

MRGOOCH

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2004
What do you think would be my cheapest option using my current hardware and adding 2 more sticks of Ram.My goal is to start with a 1TB SATA boot drive. I do photo editing and store many large photo files. No games!
Also can my old RAM DD3 be used in a newer motherboard with DD4 0r higher?

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have managed to get into Bios. I have also checked for updated bios which there is no new revision.I also tried new cable I had without any help. While looking through the Bios I don't see anything related to a SATA drive.
Is the new SATA drive recognized in the BIOS?
Does it show up in Windows Disk Management at all?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It is probably time to upgrade the entire system, especially if you are having trouble getting the current one to work. Then you could also use an NVMe drive.

And no, DDR3 will not work in a DDR4 or DDR5 motherboard.

Reactions: blckgrffn and RLGL
Jul 27, 2020
I am willing to buy another if I think I have found the answer.
Get this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBQMCX

Make sure to try booting from all the SATA ports, by connecting the SSD to the different ports if it won't boot from the first port. That will rule out if it's a problem related to the chipset for a particular port.

If the six internal SATA ports don't let the SSD boot, you may get this: https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-SATA-eSATA-Enclosure-NST-266SU3-BK/dp/B014LQOG58/

and try booting from the external eSATA ports.

Jul 27, 2020
Reactions: bigboxes and Shmee

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Time to do some research into the new computer parts, and how to configure the BIOS on your board. Also, I would recommend going to Windows 10 at this point if you are not already, especially if going to an NVMe drive. Makes installation much easier.

But I am not sure the NVMe drive will be bootable on the current board. Something to check.

Jul 27, 2020
But I am not sure the NVMe drive will be bootable on the current board. Something to check.
Good point. Unfortunately, most mobo vendors don't specifically mention NVMe support. My Z97 mobo, for example, does not say anywhere in its specs that it supports NVMe booting and it does not feature an M.2 slot. But I was still able to use a PCIe slot adapter to boot from NVMe and use it for Windows 10 installation.

No mention of NVMe boot support here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/G1Sniper-Z97-rev-1x/sp#sp

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Is the current board UEFI even? I am not really familiar with the AM3 boards, my understanding is some of them had UEFI and some didn't...and if legacy IDE is an option for the SATA controller, this might suggest a legacy BIOS board.