Updating BIOS on OEM branded Intel motherboards

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I'm working on a friend's Gateway E4100 Series desktop that uses the Intel D865GLC motherboard. I compared the Gateway board with product photos from Intel's website. They are identical except for a few minor SMC changes, likely minor PCB revisions. Intel always has several or more minor PCB (AA) revisions for every model, but its BIOS is common to all revisions.

The latest BIOS from Gateway is way-old, like 8 releases older than Intel's latest; (P13 vs. P24). She's been having some glitches with USB peripherals and there are several related fixes mentioned in the release notes for Intel BIOS updates between P13 and P24.

I tried updating with the latest Intel BIOS using both the iFlash (DOS) and Express BIOS update methods, but both failed because the vendor ID is an OEM (Gateway), not Intel's. I even tried using the 'force' command line switch, but no joy.

Most Intel boards have a BIOS Configuration jumper and feature a BIOS Recovery mode in case of a bad flash. On a hunch, I downloaded the recovery BIOS file from Intel, copied it to a floppy disk, and jumpered the board for recovery mode. The floppy need not be bootable, just formatted and containing the BIOS file.

I powered on the computer and the floppy access LED shows major activity. After about one full minute, the system beeps then shuts down. I removed the floppy then restored the BIOS Configuration jumper to Normal Operation position. Then crossed my fingers and powered the system on.

It took the Intel BIOS and the USB glitches are gone. As a bonus, it unlocked gobs of BIOS options that Gateway had hidden. Woot!