Updating BIOS for Kaby Lake WITH incompatible CPU installed?

WAZ

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but in my head I've created a loop:

I'm building my PC with a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 and a new Kaby Lake i7-7700K.

Out of the box, the Z170X is NOT compatible with the Kaby Lake processor, but there is a BIOS update that will make it compatible. Of course I only have the ("incompatible") processor to install and start it up with.

Can I install my Kaby Lake, but it will still let me load/flash the BIOS via USB BEFORE it reads/recognizes it as an incompatible processor? Or will it not even boot to the BIOS screen unless I use a Skylake or earlier to flash it with? Thanks!

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I just upgraded a PC to Kaby Lake but my mobo was Asus and i had to buy a second 1151 CPU non kaby lake from Micro Center and use that to update the BIOS then I was able to install a i5-7500. I am returning the non Kaby Lake CPU later today. Thank goodness for no restocking fees!

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Well there are some motherboards which flash a BIOS without any CPU which is best option.
Gigabyte call this feature Q-Flash Plus, and Asus USB BIOS Flashback. AFAIK, neither ASRock or MSI offer this feature.
I imagine both Gigabyte and Asus use a custom chip for this, but this is really a feature which Intel and AMD should build into their chipsets. Some licensed ARM with USB support would be nice.

WAZ

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
Yeah, I checked mine and it has Q-Flash, but not the cpu-less Q-Flash Plus.

My brother has an i5-6600 in his H110 kit... I may have to take his apart, do all new thermal compound and use his to boot mine to flash the BIOS.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Why don't you instruct the store to flash the motherboard to the newest BIOS, before shipping it to you?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Why don't you instruct the store to flash the motherboard to the newest BIOS, before shipping it to you?

Microcenter will charge to do it, so i said i will do it myself since you have no restocking fees.