**UPDATED WITH VIDEO****w00t** Finally went Autocrossing!!! Freaking awesome!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I went to the 3rd regional SOLO2 event here in Ontario. I went in the Maxima with the worn out all-season tires and stock suspension. I was pretty much the biggest car there, save for the 95 535i and the 2002 Accord on non-street legal race tires (slicks I think) and a 89 Olds Cutlass Ciera FE3 on 245s summer/sport tires.

I did not have anywhere near the fastest times, but I think I did pretty good, considering I was the only guy there on all-seasons (I think). I know I was the only guy on all-season stock tires in my class though. The times aren't really important, wat was important was that every run I did was faster than the previous one...which is good. If I had a few more runs, I could have been more competitive. Also, all my runs were clean, I never hit any of the pylons...which apparently is very good for a first-timer. My biggest problem was UNDERSTEER!! Holy crap, I cannot do tight hairpins in the Maxima. It just plows like a mofo. However a lot of people were surprised to see a stock Maxima there..and they were surprised it did not hit any cones and did the times it did. On the bright side, I did beat a Contour SE on one run...barely beat him..but hey...:)

The Track
The auto-x course was set on the skid pad section of the MOSPORT International Raceway's Driver Training Track. The skid pad was the pit area, while a run-way type straightway held the course.

This course was EXTREMELY tight. They had slaloms (which where easy) but then it lead to this really tight hairpin while then lead to a box slalom that was VERY close together. I went as fast as I could without hitting any pylons...then you repeat this process again and then go to the finish box.

The Cars
AWESOME Cars. A wide variety...from an Accord to a Cutlass Ciera to a Lotus Super 7 to a STi to a supercharged Miata to AE86 to S2000 to a few F-bodies to....

And I take back my words about American cars not handling well. That Olds Cutlass Ciera FE3 FREAKING OWNED!! On a few runs, it beat a 95 BMW 535!! That guy did very well. Also, the F-bodies and Mustangs did well as well. The girl driving a current generation Mustang V6 was the Class champion last season. Of course she was on slicks. There was a Trans Am Firebird that was awesome too. Oh man..it was fun watching him run!!

Some other cars, the Lotus Super 7 was also amazing to watch as well. He just kept on gripping...Another star of the show was the supercharged Miata on slicks...oh man..that car must be scary to drive. Everytime he punched it, the rear end squirmed. It was awesome to see him go, I think he had one of the fastest times. There was a Mini Cooper S on race tires that was awesome as well...I think he was in the top four in terms of fastest times of the day. Very competiteive..he was only a few seconds away from the STi, which was on stock tires. That STi...whoa...awesome to see him go around. There was also a turbocharged Legacy (you wouldn't know it looking at it until you heard it or saw the engine bay...total sleeper).

Other low key, yet surprising cars: a gutted out AE86 with a roll cage...whoa he was fast. Kept on lifting one wheel up. A Isuzu Impulse/I-Mark was awesome as well..very tight suspension/chassis...he also lifted up his rear wheel pretty high during cornering...same with the Neon R/T and 1st gen CRX. A few VWs too, like the freaking fast and heavily modified New Beetle that also had one of the fastest times. It was one of the fastest cars there. There was a few Jettas (both of which did well) and some boosted Golf that was fast, but hte driver drove it a little too hard so he either hit a lot of cones or lost control. But it was fast.

I just gained a whole lot of appreciation for some of those cars. Quite awesome to see them go, especially with their expereinced drivers. Also, I learnt that TIRES make a HELL LOT OF A DIFFERENCE! You could have suspension work up the wazoo, but without tires..its useless. Almost everyone had non-street legal tires, and those that were...were mostly R-compound or expensive summer tires. I was the only loser with all-seasons (Michelin MXV4).

The People
The guys here were some of the nicest people I have ever met. Very friendly and very helpful. THey let me borrow helmets, gave me very good advice, and helped me out in general. Very nice people, and the organizer guy, he was very very nice. They definately made this a very positive experience for me (even though I was pretty uncompetitive).

Summary
Awesome! I'm hooked, but I realize that I need more practice to be competitive, and I also need a decent set of tires. I also want a Miata now. You guys can call it girly cars or watever..but after seeing it rip on the track...whoa...it definately ain't girly. And that S/C Miata definately required a crazy set of balls to drive. I also gained a lot of respect for that Olds Cutlass Ceira and the handling abilities of the F-bodies. It definately isn't JUST a straight line car.

Anyway thats about it..theres more ...but I probably forgot a few things to add. I should have videos and pics later on in the week. Stay tuned!

LOW QUALITY VIDEO:
Link

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
Yeah, AutoCrossing rocks! I went a couple of times with my buddy in his F-150 Lightning. Nothing like seeing a full size pickup smokin' his tires almost all the way around the track. :p I have pics of his first run somewhere around the house. I'm glad I had my telephoto lens that day, cuz he was scarin' the crap out of everyone there, including me:p. He's naturally an excellent driver tho'.

He's gotten quite a bit better since his first time also. I wonder if he'll be going again some time soon. Gonna call him and check. . . :)

Can't wait for your videos.

I'll take my camcorder out, next time he goes also.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
wow, must have been very fun :)

what were their times and ur times?

any fee?

the biggest variable is the DRIVER :) not the car. i found that out when i went to autox .

i wanna see i wanna see :D

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
A really low-quality video of me running..this is my last timed run..and the fastest one (officially):
Link

I'll have more videos of other cars later on.

MustangSVT: Cost was $35CDN. My times weren't that good..but each run was faster than the previuous. If I had more runs, I'm sure I could have done better. But if you must know, they were: 55.7xx, 55.4xx, 53.002, 52.3xx. And yes, the biggest variable is hte driver.

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
A really low-quality video of me running..this is my last timed run..and the fastest one (officially):
Link

MustangSVT: Cost was $35CDN. My times weren't that good..but each run was faster than the previuous. If I had more runs, I'm sure I could have done better. But if you must know, they were: 55.7xx, 55.4xx, 53.002, 52.3xx.

Is it my imagination or did you plow several cones while you were at it?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: wasssup
Link

MustangSVT: Cost was $35CDN. My times weren't that good..but each run was faster than the previuous. If I had more runs, I'm sure I could have done better. But if you must know, they were: 55.7xx, 55.4xx, 53.002, 52.3xx.

Is it my imagination or did you plow several cones while you were at it?

no cones plowed...you would have heard it otherwise...and seen them fly off.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Thanks mAdD INDIAN, sounds like a lot of fun!

I used to do these in the early '60s when they were commonly called 'Gymkhanas'.
Most fun I ever had with my clothes on!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Cyberian

I used to do these in the early '60s when they were commonly called 'Gymkhanas'.

Gymkhanas? That so sounds like a Indian word...hehe.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
cool :) That was a smalllll course. You should see the ones out here in Texas, you'd crap your pants :)

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Cyberian

Gymkhanas? That so sounds like a Indian word...hehe.
I think it was originally an Indian word for sports or horseback competitions.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Rent
cool :) That was a smalllll course. You should see the ones out here in Texas, you'd crap your pants :)

I probably do better in those too. I think the other courses are larger...I hope they are. Damn you people woith your short replies..I wrote out a freaking essay! :p

MeanMeosh

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001

where can i find these tracks in texas??? this looks like fun!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: MeanMeosh

where can i find these tracks in texas??? this looks like fun!

You must have a local motorsports website. Also check out in different car clubs, they should have something almost every weekend.

jamautosound

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2000
Wow. That was a very small course. Good driving tho'. No cones=:). More vids, more vids. :p

The first one my friend drove at was small also. About a half a track size bigger. There were a couple others here in town, Sacramento CA, that were maybe two or three times larger. The biggest one I've seen was up near Reno, NV, at an airport. Huge, open turns, tight slalom and hairpins, and a nice long straightaway. The straightaway is where some of the larger horsepower cars got the advantage. Like this one guy who had a 68 or 69 (?) Corvette that sounded verrry well tuned. He did really well.

There was this one guy that my friend buddied up with, kind of a "Hey, how's it going?" [under breath]"I'm gonna wipe his A$$ off the course"[/under breath] kinda friend. Anyhow, he had a 2001 Infiniti G30 (? not sure about the tag, it was the large model with the most horsepower. :confused: ) tuned with racing slicks, engine and suspension work. They sorta teamed up since they both had large vehicles in, generally, a small car sport. The Infiniti guy was, at first, a whole lot faster than my friend. But after a couple of autox's, his times started getting closer and closer to the Infiniti guy. Finally beating him at a couple of the most recent races.

The last time my friend went out, he had just purchased his current 2002 Lightning, which the guy hadn't seen him pull up in. :) He started talking about all the work he had recently done to his Infiniti, new top end, bigger this, better that. He ended up leaving in a bigo' hissy fit after my buddy wiped him off the board, stock tires and all. :)

This thread, and the mini-road trip I recently took in my other friend's Audi A8, is gettin' me all riled up!!