[Updated with purchase thoughts] High-yield (Mega and EcoTank) inkjet printers experiences?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've used a Canon MG4240 for years now, and it still works great. The only problem is between my kids and wife always printing stuff, we blow through ink cartridges, and they are pricey ($42 per black and the color is $32). So in an average year now, I spend close to $200+ in ink.

I've been reading on these newer high-yield printers, and it seems the way to go for our use. The two I have semi-narrowed it down to are the Canon PIXMA G3200 ($249.99) and the Epson Expression ET-2750 ($229.99). Canon seems to win in the image quality and cost per print, while the Epson seems to win in overall function as it has more features (like auto double side printing). Canon user reviews are average, while the Epson reviews are skewed due to the "I received this product in exchange for my honest" junk reviews.

Anybody here have any hands-on experience with one of these?

Edit: 12/22/2017

I received it today and installed it.

It's a pretty nice, but basic computer compared to some of the more traditional inkjet printers. I learned one thing quickly though, with these units you want to follow the directions to a "T". For example, when I opened the first bottle of ink, I didn't really shake it, but I kind of swirled it around to mix the ink, and the instructions say not to do that. ;) However, there are a series of steps you must do correctly as to not mess anything up. I generally haven't had to read an installation guide for a printer for many years, but I'm glad I did with this one.

So you fill it up before turning it on and charge the tanks. It takes about 25 - 35 minutes total to fill each color, turn on the printer, and let it charge itself. Once charged, you go back and repeat the ink filling steps for each color one more time to get all the ink into the tanks (it apparently uses up some while it does it's charging cycle). I then downloaded the driver suite package, and installed it. I was then prompted to connect the printer (I chose USB), and had no issues. I then connected it to my wifi, and it detected it had a firmware update, and I installed that directly from the printer.

I printed out about 10 pages of text, and it looks great. I don't have any heavy photo paper, so I will have to see how good the quality is printing pictures in the future.

Overall an easy install, I didn't even spill one drop of ink (because they make it pretty much idiot proof with their bottle nozzle design), and now hopefully I won't have to refill it for well over a year.

Edit: 12/24/2017

I got around to scanning some documents to put on my PC, and this thing is not a racehorse in that regard. The final product is very good, but it takes significantly longer to scan (and then process the image) than my Canon MG4240 did, So if you scan a lot of stuff, this Epson probably wouldn't be the best choice.

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks for the suggestion, but I haven't much luck with the refills in the past. I went through 3 printers very quickly using generic refills (I'd have to remember the company's name, it's been over 6 years since using them). Clogged heads, bad quality was my experience. I first thought it was the printers, but we went through a Brother, Epson, and Canon.

This Canon still prints the same quality as it did when new, so I'm going to go with one of these two printers. Sure they're pricey, but if their ink doesn't go bad over 18-24 months of use, they'll be the best option for us.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
the cheap ink tanks work because the print head is in the carriage, and not the tank. thus the tank just has a level sensor and a connection to the head.
the dirty print head is a common problem with the 54XX ones after some years.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Thanks for the suggestion, but I haven't much luck with the refills in the past. I went through 3 printers very quickly using generic refills (I'd have to remember the company's name, it's been over 6 years since using them). Clogged heads, bad quality was my experience. I first thought it was the printers, but we went through a Brother, Epson, and Canon.

This Canon still prints the same quality as it did when new, so I'm going to go with one of these two printers. Sure they're pricey, but if their ink doesn't go bad over 18-24 months of use, they'll be the best option for us.

I use ink made in the USA and it's been great in Canon printers. However if given the chance today I would buy a megatank printer just because refilling carts became a chore.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A Brother printer, and a CIS?

I have a Brother, from before they started chipping inks, cheap ink refill tanks abound.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well, I ordered the Epson from B&H Photo for $229.99 (same price at Amazon, but I pay sales tax there), and I should receive it on Friday. Hopefully I made a good choice, but at least I can give some hands-on feedback to any others facing the same decision after I have used it for a bit. If this printer works good, and gives me the claimed amount of prints (up to 6,500 B&W, 5,200 color), I'll be a happy camper not having to replace the cartridges every 2-3 months. I think the ink bottles (4 total) are under $50 for all when it comes time to refill it, so even that is cheaper than what I pay now.

My wife is a RN, and she heads several committees/training at work, so she's always printing stuff out for that. My oldest son is a junior in an engineering focused program in high school, and he is always printing out drawings and designs, along with various papers and reports.

I guess we shall see.......

Last edited:

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Well, I ordered the Epson from B&H Photo for $229.99 (same price at Amazon, but I pay sales tax there), and I should receive it on Friday. Hopefully I made a good choice, but at least I can give some hands-on feedback .

I wonder if the price will ever get below $200.

Also wonder if some of the features will be added that older cheaper printers had.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I wonder if the price will ever get below $200.

Shouldn't be too hard. It looks like they already dropped from $299.99 to $229.99, so if any site like Newegg offers one of those Masterpass or Visa Checkout discount codes which they usually do, it should make the price right around $200. I used one of those codes to get my RX 580 for $204 right before Black Friday.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I went the other direction. I bought a full featured printer for $40....I just couldn't resist at that price. So let's look at the difference:
Printer = $40
828ml of ink = $43
$108 or $123

Con: Time spent refilling carts. Not OEM ink.
Pro: Get features missing off super-tank printers. Still lower cost.

Final Thoughts: So refilling carts is still cheaper and offers full features but you spend time refilling carts and it's not OEM ink.