Updated the Ford Sync 3 software over wi-fi

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What a pain in the ass that process was. I have DECENT wi-fi and internet service...took a couple of hours start to finish...would have PROBABLY only taken 30 minutes or so had I done it with a flash drive.
Then, once the Sync software was updated...the Sirius XM software updated...and went into preview mode. Had to call SiriusXM to get it resolved...spoke to a very polite Indian fellow...once he confirmed my info...and corrected my account phone number...he was able to send a refresh signal to the radio. Things appear to be working better.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Sirius has a page on their website to send the refresh signal. Why would you use wifi anyway? I mean it would be different if there weren't a USB port right there... Yes it's about 20 minutes from a flash drive.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The Sync 3 system on my 2018 Mustang has (apparently) NEVER had a software update since I've owned the car in April 2018. That doesn't seem right to me.

I asked the dealership if updates were available, and they didn't find any either. Although, I wouldn't be amazed if they checked from the touch screen while connected via Wi-Fi like I did.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
^ What version of sync3 are you running? This year they released (at least) ver. 3.4 bld 21098

You can input your VIN here to check: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

There's an 80+ page topic about it on a mustang owner forum: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/official-ford-sync3-3-4-release.145436/

I just tried updating it via USB using the downloads from Ford's website after entering my VIN, but it still seems to be stuck on a version 3.0 release. Maybe that's the latest available version for the 2018 Mustang? It already works with Carplay and Android Auto, so I guess that I'm not missing much.

It looks like I can get Sync 3.4 from Cyanlabs, but I don't feel like possibly bricking my radio with it.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
What are you seeing when you put in the flash drive with the update on it? Does it find the update and attempt to apply it? I do not think it is the latest for a 2018 Mustang, note that mustang forum topic I linked. You might make a post there describing in exact detail what you're doing and what the vehicle is showing.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
What are you seeing when you put in the flash drive with the update on it? Does it find the update and attempt to apply it? I do not think it is the latest for a 2018 Mustang, note that mustang forum topic I linked. You might make a post there describing in exact detail what you're doing and what the vehicle is showing.

The Ford web site says that 3.0.20204 is the latest available version for my VIN. I was able to download and successfully install that using the USB update method. I just inserted the drive, and it updated/rebooted the center console and said that the update was successful after about 10 minutes. That's less time than what the YouTubers were saying it would take, but then I used a fast USB 3.1 thumb drive.

After doing that, Wi-Fi check still says that I have the latest installed, but then it was saying that before.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I would ask in that forum I linked, someone there is bound to have same/similar-enough vehicle and more info, if the solution hasn't already been posted in that forum... remembering that one topic alone is over 80 pages.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Now that the update is installed...neither of us like the looks on the screen. It seems like a step back in graphic design.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Ask in that forum, what version changed the GUI and who has the version just prior to it.. somebody will, sitting around on a flash drive if they don't have a direct link to it from a Ford server.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Why do you say that? So far I've done one update to our Subaru via WiFi and it seems fine...

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Why do you say that? So far I've done one update to our Subaru via WiFi and it seems fine...

I didn't say it wasn't possible or that every time it screws up.
Odds are better not bricking anything using a cable or USB Stick than WiFi. And it is a lot faster too.

More reliable faster.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It is ridiculous to use wifi when a direct USB feed is possible. Unless you're a masochist.