UPDATED: SVC celebrating the takeover of SVC.com with HOT deals More sales 2/20

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: wampa
Originally posted by: RobsTV
Please don't take my remarks about the SVC GC68 the wrong way.
While it is definately different than before, it is still the best $5 hsf you can get,
and will cool most any system except extreme overclockers just fine.
I would buy another from SVC without question.

I only brought up the difference for those extreme overclockers that notice such things,
and have used the old version in the past.

Running my XP1700+ (was 133x11 = 1463MHz stock) now at 205 (410DDR)x10 or 2050MHz,
and the old GC68 keeps it around 41c, while the new one runs around 46c.

so would you recommend buying the gc69 over the gc68? since these "new" gb68 are not as good as the previous models?

If you don't plan on OC'ing, get the GC68 (you still can, but it will give you less headroom).

If you wanna OC or you wanna run with a lower CFM/dBA fan, then get the GC69. $5 for cooler temps is worth it IMO.

Chiz
hola chizow :)
on these shiny surfaced GC68s..I strongly suggest lapping that coating off..running TBred B 1800+ @ 200x9 ..cpu temp with this lack of headroom cooler is 34c 93F ..:D not bad for a $5 cooler and 2x256MB PNY 2100 pkged ram :pI like SVC :)

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ScrapSilicon
While it is definately different than before, it is still the best $5 hsf you can get,

I only brought up the difference for those extreme overclockers that notice such things,

Running my XP1700+ (was 133x11 = 1463MHz stock) now at 205 (410DDR)x10 or 2050MHz,

so would you recommend buying the gc69 over the gc68? since these "new" gb68 are not as good as the previous models?

If you don't plan on OC'ing, get the GC68 (you still can, but it will give you less headroom).

If you wanna OC or you wanna run with a lower CFM/dBA fan, then get the GC69. $5 for cooler temps is worth it IMO.

Chiz
on these shiny surfaced GC68s..I strongly suggest lapping that coating off..running TBred B 1800+ @ 200x9 ..cpu temp with this lack of headroom cooler is 34c 93F ..:D not bad for a $5 cooler and 2x256MB PNY 2100 pkged ram :pI like SVC :)

Pretty modest OC @1800mhz for an 1800+ T-bred B. With better cooling you could easily hit 2Ghz+. Unless you're increasing your Vcore you shouldn't notice any increase in temps, but you won't be able to maximize your OC w/out raising your Vcore.

Chiz

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: WooDaddy
Hey,

does anyone have any comments on the Arctic Super Silent Pro TC HSF? It looks nice the smaller size seems decent. I'm currently using an old volcano (6 or 7, I think) and my slow Athlon 750 runs at about 53-58C... Too hot for comfort. Does this one perform better than the GC68 (Thanks kenja)?

Woo...

I put one of those on a celeron 1.7 with AS3 and it runs cool and totally silent.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
bah, I was gunna order 2 fans and a cable for 7.50 but shipping is 4.30 + 0.64 tax! what a deal killer :(

mroptimistic

Dec 12, 2002
To further comfirm their commitment to excellent quality service through recent changes, here's a blurb from their latest mailer:

Over the past year SVC has brought you a large number of products at prices which were previously unheard of. Round cables, CCFL kits, LED fans, UV fans and cables, and more. As a result of all these great deals, it was difficult at times for us to keep up with all of your orders and our service level was inconsistent (as seen in all the controversy surrounding SVC in the online forums). As a young company, SVC experienced many growing pains, but over the past few months we have been hard at work building new infrastructure, and increasing our processing overhead. Just a couple months away from our second anniversary, SVC has finally realized sufficient economy of scale to provide you with consistently excellent speed and service while continuing to lower our prices each day.

Our resellerratings are 9.33 for the month of February (6.92 for the past 6 months), and they will continue to rise. To speed the process, and to promote the rating of vendors in general, SVC will be giving out a FREE CLEAR ACRYLIC CASE on March 31 to a randomly selected customer who has left resellerratings for SVC. To qualify, you must (1) leave a resellerrating, and (2) email freecase@svc.com with your order number and your resellerrating user id. The winner will be announced at www.svc.com no later than March 31, 2003.

Can't deny that, as this thread is a clear indication of much improved service. I'm glad I held off on some of my resellerratings, I've got a bout 4 different ones to enter now! :)

Chiz

Yeah i got that too. Slightly funny considering that it took them three tries to get my thermaltake memory heatspreader/vga ramsinks package order correct. And this was very recent, i just got the final correct order a few days ago. But in their defense, they were great about fixing the error, didn't give me any problems, just had to wait for it:p

Im glad they are working to get better at this stuff though, cuz they have killer prices, even with the errors i just made another order monday:)

WiseOldMan

Jul 23, 2001
I just received 3 GC68 heatsink/coolers. They look exactly the same as the ones I bought
serveral months ago. However, the retention clips on these new GC68 are so weak. There's just barely
enough tention to hold the heatsink in place -- you can slide it around after it has been set.
I tried to bend the clips to increase the tention but it snapped in 2 pieces. They're very brittle.
I really like the old GC68 but the new ones are going back! I consider the weak retention clips on the new model
a defect since they don't provide enough tension to fixate the HSF to the CPU.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
To further comfirm their commitment to excellent quality service through recent changes, here's a blurb from their latest mailer:

Over the past year SVC has brought you a large number of products at prices which were previously unheard of. Round cables, CCFL kits, LED fans, UV fans and cables, and more. As a result of all these great deals, it was difficult at times for us to keep up with all of your orders and our service level was inconsistent (as seen in all the controversy surrounding SVC in the online forums). As a young company, SVC experienced many growing pains, but over the past few months we have been hard at work building new infrastructure, and increasing our processing overhead. Just a couple months away from our second anniversary, SVC has finally realized sufficient economy of scale to provide you with consistently excellent speed and service while continuing to lower our prices each day.

Our resellerratings are 9.33 for the month of February (6.92 for the past 6 months), and they will continue to rise. To speed the process, and to promote the rating of vendors in general, SVC will be giving out a FREE CLEAR ACRYLIC CASE on March 31 to a randomly selected customer who has left resellerratings for SVC. To qualify, you must (1) leave a resellerrating, and (2) email freecase@svc.com with your order number and your resellerrating user id. The winner will be announced at www.svc.com no later than March 31, 2003.

Can't deny that, as this thread is a clear indication of much improved service. I'm glad I held off on some of my resellerratings, I've got a bout 4 different ones to enter now! :)

Chiz

I posted a copy of this letter I sent to SVC in this Thread also

Hi,
Having been a loyal customer for a couple years now I was quite upset to recive the following email. No I signed up for the mailing, the prices are great as the service allways has been. However the promo you have listed is, well.... cheap
I mean this as the way its being run. I understand that you have had some problems lately and hey, Ive been there to. But to tie a promo to reseller ratings (and the requirement to post) is downright cheap. Reseller ratings is a great tool for the on-line comunity to use to know where to shop and let their true UNSOLICITED opinions be known. When vendors start to tie promo's, give aways, and other spiffs to how they post on reseller ratings it cheapens and even nullifys the impact that a great resorce such as reseller ratings has.
Not to mention that in many states it is illegal to require a purchase to be eligable for a "give-away" "

Again, I have allways liked SVC as a company and shop there allot myself, have allways had great service and intend to continue to do so. However I am upset with how they chose to run this so called give away."

"

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I posted a response to the criticism in the thread you linked, as I think its totally baseless.

Chiz

safoo

Sep 30, 2001
Aajax,

There are many companies on the net that offer discounts or 'points' towards future purchases for customers who post reseller ratings.

You are correct that this makes the rating inflated, but unless you plan on emailing all the companies that "buy" their ratings, I dont think its fair to svc to single them out. There are very few sites out there that really care for their customers. And the way companies 'care for their customers' is by keeping prices down to earth. Where else can you purchase rounded cables and fans for under 3 dollars? I mean, if you would rather pay 10 dollars for fans go ahead. If you do not like svc's business practices go buy somewhere else. But chances are, that this other site is giving discounts etc for reseller ratings. This is the industry standard nowadays. Its not the companies' fault. Consumers nowadays always are looking for the 'hot deals' or 'free stuff'. So the companies offer it. This is all probably an offspring of hot deal forums like these.

Its just a trend nowadays to talk bad about svc. On the other thread you posted in, someone was complaining about waiting 15 minutes for an in store pickup. 15 minutes for svc to receive the order in their system, process it, print invoices, find the products in the warehouse, and give it to him. And then he complains about receiving a box that was too big. Seriously, instead of writing good comments for a job well done and posting a reseller rating, this consumer was complaining about it??

Let me give you another example I saw on reseller ratings:
I ordered two sticks of ram from them yesterday. They shipped out today. Meanwhile, I did more research and found out that while their PC2100 RAM is great stuff, their pc2700 for the most part sucks for any kind of high performance/overclocking useage. So I called them up. Too late to cancel, it'd already shipped. The lady online told me that I would have to call in to get an RMA number. Called in, RMA was already set up. And not only that, even though I'm the one who ordered it without doing proper research first, they offered to go ahead and pay the return shipping for me too. On top of not charging me a restocking fee. I didn't even have trouble. I just told them what I wanted and they were like, "sure. No problem." Other companies could definitely take lessons from these folks.

Its great that the company did not charge anything at all for the mistake of the purchaser, but you can see from his last line that he pretty much expects all companies to behave like this. My whole point of this post is that this idea that 'I can make a mistake, and I shouldn't have to pay for it' and the expectation that the consumer will get 'more than what he paid for' is totally wrong and unfair to all businesses.

People need to appreciate companies, like svc, that are out there for all of us consumers. Support them by giving good ratings when they do what they are supposed to do, not only when you get more than what you paid for. And stop trying to always get something for free. Appreciate what you have with a company like SVC.

/rant

safoo

Sep 30, 2001
good post chizow . I agree with you 100%.

All of us ATers should support these companies especially since they really are consumers just like us. If you look on other forums, the members always support their own members' companies and businesses. Why shouldn't the ATers do the same.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
I don't really take reseller ratings too seriously anyways, I always look up opinions about companies on message boards first.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: AAjax
Again, I have allways liked SVC as a company and shop there allot myself, have allways had great service and intend to continue to do so. However I am upset with how they chose to run this so called give away."

"

In what way did I say they had bad service or poor product? I didnt, I just voiced my opinion summed up in the above statement.

safoo

Sep 30, 2001
No one said that you said anything about receiving a bad product and no one said you can't voice your opinion.

those who disagree are just posting responses, not necessarily directed at you.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ScrapSilicon

Chiz

Pretty modest OC @1800mhz for an 1800+ T-bred B. With better cooling you could easily hit 2Ghz+. Unless you're increasing your Vcore you shouldn't notice any increase in temps, but you won't be able to maximize your OC w/out raising your Vcore.

Chiz

vdimm is @ default and..:p so is the cpu @ 1.6v ..yes ..I realize that on the cooling..could slide my Sunon KD1208PTBX-6A (4.3W) on it but just got the chip yesterday ;) ran DroneZ rolling demo for an hr and no problem ..thanks :)

wampa

Apr 26, 2002
Hi, after all the good praise this company received I deceided to order from them for the first time. For my first order I purchased three GC68, one GC69, ten round cables, as3, 20 fan screws, and a 350w PSU. I chose UPS shipping which was only $8.63 instead of $15 for priority. I ordered on tuesday and received my order on thursday. Talk about fast shipping. With good prices and fast shipping, I plan on ordering from this place again.

SharkyTM

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2002
ok... i have posted the 2 posts about SVC recently... this one is over 200 posts long, the other got hijacked (and locked)... here's the point: I dont work for SVC. I actually discovered their existence ON AnandTech... I signed up for their e-mail newsletter... I ordered some stuff once... was pleased with the way they handled everything, from shipping options to their customer service (i called with a question). They forgot to put an adapter in one of my orders (all of .50$) and offered to send it priority. I just told them to send it first class... it would save them the money. Their prices are better than 99% of the net's, but they stand behind the products they sell. Xoxide has to hype their danm X-hour every week... more than half the time, whatever their selling sucks azz, or they run out in 10 minutes. Xoxide's shipping is high, and they bribe you to rate them as well. (not that i dont like Xoxide [i do]) You all complained when SVC ran out of blue LED fans... what happened? They came back in stock in less than 24 hrs.!!! Amazing:Q:Q Actual inventory tracking that works. On my other thread, you all complained that SVC was bribing you to leave a positive rating... Were they? no where does it say that you had to leave a + rating... only that you had to rate them. It said "VOID WHERE PROHIBITED"... so you morons who said this is illegal in my state should either rate them or not post (thats what OT is for). The reason SVC is asking people to rate them is that they have enough self-confidence to know that if everyone who places an order rates them; their overall rating is going to rise. The problem with resellerratings is that 85% of people dont rate the companies they buy from. The ones who do are either 1: REALLY pissed off and leave negative comments, 2: Really happy and leave positive comments, or 3: people like some of us, who try to remember to rate every company we buy from.

I hope this sheds a little light on why I post their deals, and why i defend them...
SharkyTM
Eli J. Perrone
sharkytm@ hotmail.com
ejp8@ cornell.edu

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
erm..can someone give a show and tell between gc68 and gc69?...
like how much lower temps with gc69?...or better quality?

jcuadrado

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
svc kicks arse....

I'll feel good recommending them to anyone..even the minute problems that they may have with some picky people they usually resolve quickly with great customer service..

Go SVC....get more inventory and you'll have a good customer in me for a long time!

-JC

Johnbear007

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2002
Originally posted by: KF
To the person who cancelled his order, realistically it is something you can't count regardless of the place. At best you can REQUEST a cancellation. Most of these Internet order outfits have some kind of automatic system, and cancellations are disconnected from orders. One order is disconnected from another.

I would consider this a good place to order from if they had shipped exactly what I ordered. I got no reply to 6 emails in over a months time, and gave up trying. The order was not $3, it was $80 of different things, mostly fans and cables. I don't exactly think I was gipped, because the price was good. It wasn't quite so good with that one wrong item. I really don't think much of a place that does not make good on THEIR mistakes.

As far as all that about cancellation goes. I dont care how they handle orders.. they can either cancel it, or they can deal with my credit card company denying the charge

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Finally sucked it up and placed an order with SVC. Ordered some rounded cables, the GC68 HSF, and some AS3. Very happy with the speed of getting the product out the door (same day) and everything came as promised.

I think I've found who I'll deal with for my small PC needs.

wampa

Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: slycat
erm..can someone give a show and tell between gc68 and gc69?...
like how much lower temps with gc69?...or better quality?

The only difference between the two I see is that the gc68 has a single prong clip which allows the HS to slide if moved ( but remains in contact with the core). And the gc69 has a three prong clip which feels more stable since it doesn't allow for the HS to move. As for cooling? I think they are about the same, but my opinion is that the gc69 stock fan is a little bit louder (and looks cooler) than the gc68. Personally I think the gc69 would give lower temps because its clip allows it to get a tighter fit with the core than the gc68. Right now I got a gc69 with a panaflo as well as a gc68 with a panaflo and cannot be happier. I use the gc69 on the OC'ed system and the gc68 on the not so overclocked system.

Jaxidian

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2001
twitter.com
Originally posted by: everman
bah, I was gunna order 2 fans and a cable for 7.50 but shipping is 4.30 + 0.64 tax! what a deal killer :(

How much cheaper shipping do you think you can get than $4? About the only way they could get any cheaper would be to stick the fans and cables in a big envelope and put $3 worth of stamps on it! /sigh

BTW, while I'm here, wanted to share my most recent experience with SVC. I ordered some blacklight CC tubes, cabes, fans, cable wrap, and a few other things. When I got the order, one of the CC tubes were DOA. I sent them an email about it and got a reply within 12 hours:

Email from: RMA@SVC.com
Dear Customer,
We are sending you a replacement for the broken tube.

Sincerely,

SVC RMA Department

That's pretty damn good customer service! They didn't even bother with having me ship it back to them (which if I would have done that, they would have covered shipping costs according to their website)! Top notch company here!

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Finally got a gc69 installed.
Much quieter than my pos thermaltake volcano 6cu...
plus it used to be 45-52.
Now its 39-43. Thats 6-9deg drop!...all for $10...can't be beat.

gpimlott

Feb 25, 2001
Ordered a couple UV 24" Round IDE cables and recieved them within 5 days of ordering.. this is my second SVC.Com order and have been satisfied with both.. 5days ground shipping from california is quite acceptable for me.

Add me to the pro SVC list.

~Thump