[UPDATED] Recommendations for 2.5" extexnal HDD?

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm looking for 2.5" external HDD, for around $100. Any suggestions?

WD MyPassport 500GB

Looks good, reviews are ok, but I couldn't find the warranty info. Do WD externals have a good rap? If there are any better out there, please recommend.

UPDATE: Received the drive. Scroll below for benchmark.

Last edited:

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
No matter which drive you end up, I strongly recommend you not store your ONLY copy of important data on it. External drives are more subject to early failure from accidents and other mishaps than internal drives.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
@ Blain: Thanks for the alternative. I found some coupons for Staples that should knock off $20. After everything is added, they are about equal. Also, found the warranty info, looks like it's a 3-year deal.

@ RebateMonger: This is going to be mostly media, songs and videos. I already have copies of them on my desktop. Wanted to free up space on the laptop.

My main concern is the reliability of the WD HDDs. I've not looked into the HDD scene for about 4 years, since I built my desktop.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
My main concern is the reliability of the WD HDDs. I've not looked into the HDD scene for about 4 years, since I built my desktop.
I tend to be a bit suspicious of the small WD disks. But I've only see one failing one. They are probably about as good as any other similar disks.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I tend to be a bit suspicious of the small WD disks. But I've only see one failing one. They are probably about as good as any other similar disks.

Ah, ok. Further research tells me the HDD might be WD's Scorpio Blue line.

Thanks for the help, looks like I'll place the order.

Russwinters

Jul 31, 2009
Anything that isn't a Seagate Momentus is your safest bet ATM.

All drives have some sort of failure that likes to occur on them.

At least the WD/Sammies/Toshibas/Hitachis are recoverable.

The current "popular" Seagate failures like to leave these neat looking rings in the SA of the disc. Fun for us in DR industry....not..

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Received the drive today. Used HDTune to benchmark it. How does this stack up for USB external drives?

Also in HDTune did a quick scan for errors, none found. Anything else I need to check to make sure I got a good drive?

hdtune1f.png

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
...Connected through a USB port.

I was going to suggest spending the $10-$20 extra and get an enclosure that also has eSATA.

I have a Samsung Spinpoint M7e HM501II in a USB/firewire/eSATA enclosure, and the only time I used USB the 28 MB/s felt slow compared to the 37 MB/s for firewire and downright anemic for the 90 MB/s the drive can sustain on eSATA....

But for the casual transfer usb is ok.