Updated OP: I just lost my job for going above and beyond.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
This a security company?

It sure seems like they got their crap together.

Chances are, someone hacked their network prior and probably used similar commands BEFORE they hacked it.

So those commands most likely send out alerts and notify proper people.

This company most likely took these actions based on their prior experience with their employees.

OPs boss most likely got a call from IT director stating that "one of your guys is about to hack our network or is doing suspicious things"

Rather than take any kind of risk he got rid of you.

Can you blame him?

Just don't tell us you were going up and beyond, cause you weren't.

None of this happened.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow that blows. It's sad that because someone is clueless they can make such a big decision on something they think it is, when it's not.

I would try to find a lawyer who knows a lot about IT. Sadly most people are completely ignorant about technology so even in court it may be hard to win. Most people see or hear of the command prompt and think it's hacking. It's pretty sad that it can cost someone their job.

It's also sad that the person who installed an unsecured wireless AP did not get any flack for something that is actually a security threat.

And one should not need to ask to use a program such as cmd on their computer. If the company does not want that program to be used then it should be disabled/removed.

Last edited:

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
IT is not allowed in our department without special authorization from our Director.

Furthermore, the only other person whom could authorize had left the company, hence the open position.

That in itself should have told you that approval was required for you to enter their area of expertise. If there's no one who can authorize it, it's NOT AUTHORIZED.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
This sounds like a situation where someone wanted to get rid of you, and found a reason that would work, since your company rules are fairly vague on the topic.
This happened to me once, and it turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened. I was working retail, and am now working for a company that develops software for the retail industry. Much better all around.

The key here is to let go of your former job. They suck, you can do better, you don't want to stay with a company that treats you that way. There are better things out there.

Start looking, NOW. Use any channel you can find. I recently found LinkedIn, and it seems to have the possibility to open many doors in the future if I need.

I am sorry to hear about your being let go. I got fired once, and it seemed devastating for a while. You will get through this.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
That in itself should have told you that approval was required for you to enter their area of expertise. If there's no one who can authorize it, it's NOT AUTHORIZED.

I did not even think about authorization for use of the command prompt until after the shitstorm. It should not be needed.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
All he had to do was ask!!! How hard is it to ask? Does it cost money? Letter from the President of the Company? argh!

Maybe if he asked then someone would of told him he could not do that or had to go through certain channels right?

At least he could of said, well Mr. Rogers in IT said I had permission to do what I did for example. Then the blame would be on Mr. Rogers right?

You are batshit insane if you would ever think to ask for permission to run these commands.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
For fuck's sake guys, this kid did not get fired for "snooping" with the company computers. That might be the reason listed in his HR file, but it damn sure was not the reason they got rid of him.

OP, you know as well as I do that they simply didn't like you. For some reason or another you got on the bad side of someone with authority and they sent you packing as soon as they had a plausible reason.

You weren't a good fit there, so suing to get your job back is not very wise. Go file for unemployment immediately and start looking for something else.

And be smarter next time about pissing off the higher-ups...

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
The key here is to let go of your former job. They suck, you can do better, you don't want to stay with a company that treats you that way. There are better things out there.

Start looking, NOW. Use any channel you can find. I recently found LinkedIn, and it seems to have the possibility to open many doors in the future if I need.

I am sorry to hear about your being let go. I got fired once, and it seemed devastating for a while. You will get through this.

Agreed

Legal action won't accomplish much and it will prevent you from moving on.

NEXT

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Chances are, someone hacked their network prior and probably used similar commands BEFORE they hacked it. So those commands obviously sent out alerts and notified proper people.

This company most likely took these actions based on their prior experience with their employees.

OPs boss most likely got a call from IT director stating that "one of your guys is about to hack our network or is doing suspicious things".Rather than take any kind of risk he got rid of you.

Can you blame him?

Just an unlucky situation for you. If they never had employees hack their network etc, chances are none of this would have ever happened.

Just don't tell us you were going up and beyond, cause you weren't.

Please stop. It's clear that you have no idea what those commands are or what you are talking about in regards to this issue.

And yes, if there's a false accusation of hacking that leads to a firing without proper investigation of the charges, I *do* blame them.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Please stop. It's clear that you have no idea what those commands are or what you are talking about in regards to this issue.

It doesn't matter what they mean.

He was canned and there was a good reason.

And yes, if there's a false accusation of hacking that leads to a firing without proper investigation of the charges, I *do* blame them.

And what does the blame accomplish?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
OP I think it all boils down to this:

Long story short, my supervisor (whom had also put in for the position, and was far less qualified, he didnt even know how to install a wireless router in his home) turned me for "hacking the network".

Your supervisor exploited his position to get you fired so he could get the job.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
post #14 you freaking noob

He did it in front of his supervisor?

Even more brilliant.

:cool:

SO his supervisor might have went to someone and told them something completely different than what he typed....that might have been considered hacking (aka playing Phone).

Sounds to me like his supervisor wanted to hook up his friend with a job and didn't like OP/knew he was a threat to that position.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
It doesn't matter what they mean.

He was canned and there was a good reason.

And what does the blame accomplish?

So, it doesn't matter what he did, the firing is justified. Makes absolutely perfect sense. :rolleyes:

Nice way to twist my response. Your rhetorical question was a way of trying to say that their actions were reasonable. I'm just disagreeing - and there is no "good reason".

The only thing we do agree on is that he shouldn't waste any more time with this company.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
So, it doesn't matter what he did, the firing is justified. Makes absolutely perfect sense. :rolleyes:

You are right, it doesn't matter and no it's not justified.

Get used to it, NOTHING is fair.

Nice way to twist my response. Your rhetorical question was a way of trying to say that their actions were reasonable. I'm just disagreeing - and there is no "good reason".

Because you simple don't do that crap in front of your boss (especially one that has no clue about anything IT AND has possible conflict of interest in your future position).

I'm not twisting crap.

There is a good reason for EVERYTHING.