Updated! OK, what say the garage? Tired of the Silverado's eggcrate grille already..

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
So, already getting tired of the flat gray eggcrate stock grille on the Silverado.

Here's its look right now:

silverado2.jpg

I'd thought of getting something like a fully chromed version of the grille, but due to the eggcrate being attached to the chrome cross bar and the body color painted surround, the only option is either cut it out or completely replace the whole thing.

Then I'd noticed the Avalanches with the black eggcrate grille that's stock on them, so began thinking of at first repainting the eggcrate on mine. But, having done that type of "mod" before, I do know the repaint can and will flake off over time, even if you put two coats of adhesive promoter on and use plastic specific paint.

That leads me to grille overlays/inserts. Have found something like this:

51vTHpxEjdL.jpg

Aluminum billet grille insert, powder coated black. What do y'all think of something like this? Doesn't require cutting, can be reversed in minutes (just bolts on over the stock grille). Ends up with the grille flush with the body work, but I don't think that's much of a worry.

Thought about chrome insert, too:

51HDtuIoDWL.jpg

But I think the black does look a little better.

The inserts run about $50 shipped.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
Like the black and have considered it for mine...:thumbsup:

The chrome says "hey I got bling":p

Oh and the lower valance inserts look kinda different too...

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
Black. And try plastidipping the chrome bar that goes thru the grill. I'm curious to if it would look better.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Thx both of you, but as for the plastidipping, going to pass on it. I want it as reversible as possible, able to return to stock in case I decide to move into something else. One never knows, does one? ;)

And ordering the black grille insert tonite. (Just got home from junk yarding....)

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Thx both of you, but as for the plastidipping, going to pass on it. I want it as reversible as possible, able to return to stock in case I decide to move into something else. One never knows, does one? ;)

And ordering the black grille insert tonite. (Just got home from junk yarding....)

That is the entire point of plasti-dip. You can "paint it" black with plasti-dip and then peel it off later without any problem.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Honestly, I do kinda like the chrome bar across the grille, just not the gray, faded look stuff. Just wanted a minor change, not wholesale. Trying to keep it as close to stock as I can, within reason. ;)

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
FWIW I used black spray paint on my stock grille on my Trailblazer as it was graying from the sun, and so far it has held up OK. I painted it a few months ago. I figure if it starts peeling I'll just hit it with a shot of paint again.

SyndromeOCZ

Aug 8, 2010
With that dark of a color I would go with the chrome inserts, even more so considering the other chrome you have on your truck.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Well, we shall see Monday what it looks like with the black inserts. Ordered them and they'll be delivered Mon. afternoon. Have some washing and waxing to do before then. Fun times. :)

With that dark of a color I would go with the chrome inserts, even more so considering the other chrome you have on your truck.

Still may. If the black is too dark, they'll go back and chrome will go in, instead. Well, chrome face with the rest black power coated.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002

I like all dark. Mine is the one on the left, one on the right is stock. My crossbar was originally chrome and I painted it. Ideally I want a color matched crossbar like the right one has, but I didn't want to spend the money on it :p I know its a different vehicle than the OP has, but the right Trailblazer is a similar color as his Silverado so maybe some ideas from it like the color matched crossbar.

101302_zps21c50d51.jpg

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Like the black and have considered it for mine...:thumbsup:

The chrome says "hey I got bling":p

Oh and the lower valance inserts look kinda different too...

So, what do you think of them?

51BDYaHYX3L.jpg

They're only like $26-$30 for the pair. The tow hook covers, on the other hand, look a tad excessive, at least to me.

Sep 7, 2009
I would paint/plastidip/truckbed liner it black. Along with the gray lower valance.

The chrome inserts look ok some trucks, but personally I really like 'stock ish' single cab trucks. IE if you don't know that particular model you really wouldn't know if it came that way.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I've toyed with the idea of painting both the chrome crossbar and lower valence, but painting the crossbar isn't just removing it and painting it. The entire grille, crossbar and body color parts surrounding the grille are all permanently attached into one piece, which would entail very, very careful masking before painting, etc. And I just don't mind the crossbar's chrome finish enough to take on that work.

The lower air dam/valance is another story. But I do want to keep as much of the OEM look to the truck as possible and, again, it just doesn't bother me enough to paint it, yet. ;) Next spring may be another story.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Those eBay horizontal billet/chrome slat grills are the most over done ghetto thing that every Mexican and trailer trash redneck in Arizona puts on their trucks, followed closely by stick on mirror chrome fender arches and Altezza taillights.

DONT. DO. IT.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Well, it's coming from Amazon and can be returned, with Amazon paying for return shipping (Prime, ya know), for full refund if I hate it, so I feel I'm really taking no big chance on ordering it. As I said, we shall see.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Follow up:

Got the thing in today. Damaged box, conveniently reboxed by UPS which hid the damaged box in a new, outer box.

In any event, straightened out the bent grille slats, test fit and it looked like ass. Going straight back to Amazon for refund.

Now, back to plastidip idea, plastikote paint, or VHT paint. And really, while the grille bugs me being gray, the shiny silver support structure behind the grille that supports the various small radiators makes the grille look worse than it has to. And that's what's first on the gonna get painted hit parade.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Follow up:

Got the thing in today. Damaged box, conveniently reboxed by UPS which hid the damaged box in a new, outer box.

In any event, straightened out the bent grille slats, test fit and it looked like ass. Going straight back to Amazon for refund.

Now, back to plastidip idea, plastikote paint, or VHT paint. And really, while the grille bugs me being gray, the shiny silver support structure behind the grille that supports the various small radiators makes the grille look worse than it has to. And that's what's first on the gonna get painted hit parade.

Since you've made it clear that you do not want a permanent coat.. Use plati-dip. I had a plasti-dipped grille for over a year and it survived just fine. When I decided I didn't want the black anymore it just peeled right off.