Question Updated my Chieftec Dragon.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Been slowly working on my aluminum Chieftec Dragon. I decided I wanted to have much better cooling and wire management. Basically build a modern dragon. So, I first I removed the lower HD bays and front part of the MB tray. I replaced that with this custom aluminum 2 x 140MM fan support and half a MB tray that is recessed more into the case with wire management holes. The upper hole is not straight because my drill slipped when drilling. Really needed a drill press. It doesn't look as bad with the grommet in it though.
IMG_20201231_171654.jpg

Here you can see the PH-F140MP with grills installed.
IMG_20210226_083230.jpg

The fan bracket is recessed into the case to allow for a filter. The filter is a little larger than the hole so that it will bow outward increasing the surface area and increasing air flow instead of being flat against the fans. The fan grills also prevent the filter from hitting the fan blades. I trimmed the ends of the plastic clips off that holds the front panel on. I thought I would need to figure out away to reattach the panel, but it turned out friction holds it on. But, now it is much easier to get off. Which is nice for cleaning that filer.
IMG_20210226_083501.jpg

New wire management holes with grommets.
IMG_20210226_083629.jpg

Also install a PH-F120MP in the rear and cut out the metal behind cpu for easier access to change heatsinks.
IMG_20210226_083702.jpg

Here is the new rear fan. Went from 80mm to 120mm. To do that I had to cut all the way to the IO shield. The black mesh is from a cheap wire file box and secured with epoxy glue. That really opens up the back of the case.
IMG_20210226_083757.jpg

Upper PSU shield I made. It has a ledge to rest on and black steel strips (from the wire file box) epoxied to it. The steel strips line up with magnets epoxied into the support beam that holds the PSU and runs across the case. So, it is fully removable.
IMG_20210226_083821.jpg

Here it is installed.
IMG_20210226_083919.jpg

And with the side panel on.
IMG_20210226_084119.jpg

Just recessed enough to add room for some cables.
IMG_20210226_084238.jpg

Last edited:

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I think the wire management turned out pretty good. I left the second GPU 6+2 pin wire loose'ish in case I need it for my next GPU. I also added a fan controller to the top left.
IMG_20210226_133936.jpg

Stuffed all the unused power cables above the PSU. Seemed like the best spot for them. I also added mesh wire looms from an old PSU around the usb and case button wires at the bottom. That old PSU was the original Turbolink PSU that came with the case. I assume it still worked, but with so few watts on the +12V it really wasn't usefully for computers now.
IMG_20210226_134020.jpg

And finally it closed up and ready to go. The back panel doesn't bulge with all those wires back there either due the the recessed section I added. I think it is one of the cleanest Dragons I have seen. And, the front / most of the outside looks stock. It even has the original paint on it. Makes for a great sleeper. Although I could use an upgrade. I think it may be the only one with 2 x 140mm up front and a 120mm in the back. Most mods replaced the 4 x 80mm with either all 92mm or 2 x 92mm in the back and 2 x 120mm in the front. This is my first real case mod and my last big one. It just takes me to long to work on it.
IMG_20210226_134756.jpg

Next up is lighting and maybe something to go on the PSU shroud. For lighting I have been looking at NEON LED's. I didn't even know those existed until a few days ago. Probably do solid white. Either all around the window, just the top and bottom, or top, bottom, and below the shroud. Not sure yet. As for the shroud I have been thinking about a black dragon logo or a 3D printed image of a dragon. It would either go straight across the top or at an angle coming up the right side. I also thought about cutting the shroud so you could see the PSU, but not any of the wires. Basically cut out a sideways 'U' to expose the PSU. Might start vibrating at the top though if I cut it as it isn't attached at the top. I would also like to find something to go where the case badge would go. Either a dragon case badge. Or, I thought about 3D printing a small dragon head and wiring up some LED's for eyes. That's more work though. So, what our your thoughts about my first real case mod.

Last edited: