** Updated Fix: Outlook 2013 Only starts in Safemode at Home

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
**I found a temporary workaround in my last post. Scroll down for a better fix.**

This is on my work laptop. Email comes from the exchange server at the office. Worked fine with Office 2010, but we upgraded to Office 365 about a month ago.

Never have an issue at the office, just at home through Charter cable. Doesn't matter if I am on or off the VPN connection.

Last week I gave it to our IT guy, and he did a complete uninstall/reinstall of Office 365. Worked fine for a week. Now when starting normally, it just sits on the blue screen with 'Starting' in the bottom corner. If I click the X in the top corner, it closes immediately, with no complaints.

I found today that if I start it in safe mode, it loads fine, so I disabled all the Com Add-ins, one at a time. Got down to all disabled, still no change.

So, just an inconvenience right now, as I can still get connected over the web, and can start it in safe mode, but I feel like I have exhausted the web, and sure would like to hear your thought on how to fix this.

Are there other things I can do to fix this?

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Finally got it, though I am not sure why.

KB2825631 was causing the issue. I went down the line of updates, and could re-install every one but that without issue.

Microsoft is not very specific about this one either. “The latest fixes, stability, and performance enhancements” so it's hard to say what was going wrong here.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Good to know. Will have to keep this in mind if I ever come a cross this

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
Finally got it, though I am not sure why.

KB2825631 was causing the issue. I went down the line of updates, and could re-install every one but that without issue.

Microsoft is not very specific about this one either. “The latest fixes, stability, and performance enhancements” so it's hard to say what was going wrong here.

Bravo!!!!:wub::thumbsup:

And yes, you expand a given patch/hotfix these days, and you learn nuthin about its specifics. It's increasingly general and vague and MURKY.

It seems MS likes it that way and wants blind obedience. If so, I think it's disgusting.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Update: the problem has to do with the Office performance update and the drivers for the Nvidia Quadro K1000M.

I did some more Googling today, as SP1 brought back the same issue. I went into the BIOS and changed the default video from the Quadro to Integrated graphics on the i7. Once I did that, Outlook runs without issue.

This problem did not occur in the office, presumably because changing options while on the wall charger does not affect some options when running on the dock.

I have the latest Nvidia drivers according to Lenovo System update. I did, however, seem to find a newer one on the Nvidia site. I may try to install it at some point to see what happens, but it works, and I am going to leave it for now, lol!