Updated: 5 workstations to setup/deploy

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Older topic, updated below:

I haven't done this in a long while; deploying a reference image to multiple puters. I will be setting-up five workstations running Windows 7 Pro 64. Three workstations are identical. The other two are different models but substantially similar; all Intel chipsets and processors.

I'd like to setup one of them as the reference, apply all (or at least the majority) of the latest Windows Updates, Firefox, NET Framework up to 4.5.2, no vendor-specific drivers (just using the generic MS inbox drivers). Then clone it to the others. Doesn't have to be over network, I can do it on a per-box basis from, say, an external storage drive. All the workstations have OA 2.0 (BIOS SLIC) for Windows 7, so I'm not concerned about activating.

I get the gist of imaging a system and that, but my recollection is failing on what concerns there will be with Windows balking at the different BIOS builds, System ID, Disk ID signatures, and those kinds of things. I was messing around with Macrium Free (latest version as of a few weeks ago) and noticed it had a "restore to dissimilar hardware" option, though I don't know if it is FREE to use or whether it's a paid/upsell option, I didn't try it.

I'm trying to weasel out of doing this the 'approved' Microsoft way that requires using the WAIK tools, mounting an image, customizing Windows, recapturing the WIM, and all that. TIA for any help!

Last edited:

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
An Acronis image might get you there. Worst case would probably be a separate build for the two that differ from the others.

J3S73R

Jan 24, 2000
I see what you did there...:sneaky:

Hey, its free, easy to set up and well... its free.

I would recommend starting with the Win7SP1 add in c++ redists, .net46, powershell4.0. Apply all updates to this that you want... Capture it and go from there.

-- At this point you should be able to apply most windows updates offline.

Firefox can go down during the task sequence, or any other apps for that matter. You will also be able to create driver packs so thats not relevant either.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Hey, its free, easy to set up and well... its free.
I would not say its easy to setup, not in the way its meant to be used

Well seeing its only 5, I would install Windows on 1, boot into audit mode, install any drivers and software as needed and then generalize and then clone how ever you wish

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The last time I did this I simply cloned the drive a bunch of times and then installed the cloned drives into each machine. They all booted up fine and didnt even pester me with any messages at all. I then changed the product key on each machine to make them all legal. Since you are installing onto two different sets of hardware, what you should do before cloning is boot the master drive once in both types of systems. Then do the clone job. Since I was using Intel drives I just used Intel's cloning software, which is a slightly modified Acronis.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Honestly, unless you're planning on buying another dozen of these things in the near future deploying five machines with dissimilar hardware via image is a waste of time.

Just do a fresh OS install on each of them and install drivers, let them run windows update overnight. All the time spent researching and implementing an imaging solution is going to be more than just setting up five machines.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The last time I did this I simply cloned the drive a bunch of times and then installed the cloned drives into each machine. They all booted up fine and didnt even pester me with any messages at all.
Maybe I'll just use the same approach here. There isn't that much difference between the Intel 4-Series (ICH10) and 6-Series (ICH11) chipsets.

Last edited:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
UPDATE
Use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.
OK Mr Smarty Pants, I did it! Except I used WAIK for SP1 (via the linked guide), just for ImageX and PE components.

It was pretty simple, really. I should have forced myself to learn it long ago. Ended-up with an install.wim that was 7.04GB though I only installed C++ runtimes for 2008 and 2010, NET up to 4.5.2, Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC, 7-zip, Silverlight, Firefox, Chrome, PDF, and TeamViewer were the only apps I installed. No third-party drivers except for LAN controller.

That still leaves for me to install drivers for chipset, storage AHCI, and graphics, and setting up Windows XP mode (which is another ordeal in itself to get XP VHD updated but I have all the post-SP3 updates/patches already downloaded for WSUS offline installation), and Office solution, but still.

Only problem I encountered is that I had to split the WIM using ImageX so that it would fit onto a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive (4GB file size limit of FAT32), but it all fits onto 8GB flash drive.