**UPDATE2: SCREENSHOTS** Interplay Axes Black Isle: Fallout 3 'Shelved'

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Blues News

"Today marks the end of an era. Black Isle Studios is no more. In yet another sweeping layoff of employees, Interplay has officially let go the last of it's Black Isle employees (save two that I know of) and dissolved the division. Also, the non-announced title that the division was working on, Fallout 3, has been "shelved" to quote management."

"Van Buren/Fallout3 has been "shelved," as the geniuses at IPLY have put it. Console only is the word of the day now. Even though Van Buren was half-way finished, the 'tards in charge have decided they want to do Exalted console and FOBOS 2. The simple fact they are making FOBOS2 even when FOBOS when hasn't shipped and is hated by the Fallout community says a lot about their intelligence."

I really don't have much to say about this. :|

----------------
**UPDATE**
----------------

A leaked screenshot from the intro screen.

Credit to NMA:
Silver Style and Fallout 3 by Kharn - at Tue Dec 09, 2003 23:18
Comments (64)/Comment me

Carsten Strehse of Silver Style, developers of the post-nuclear game the Fall, revealed in a thread about the canning of Fallout 3 that it is not impossible for Silver Style to purchase the rights to the Fallout 3 PC game in the near future, if Interplay is selling. Here what he had to say:

Well, we are definatly interested in hiring some of the former Balck Isle staff. I try to get in contact with them.
I also disclose no big secret if I tell you that we have found a mayor partner for The Fall and that money wouldn't be the biggest problem when we would try to get the FO licence.
My biggest concern is the reaction of the FO community. We're all huge fans of FO here and have deepest respect for the achivements of the dev team. However, we are no Black Isle, we are Silver Style. And I'm afraid that the community wouldn't be pleased with a FO3 that wasn't developed by the original team. Even if I'm very sure that we could deliver a real stunning game.

He is very interested to know the opinion of most of the Fallout community on this matter and asked me if I could organize this for him. I don't know about you, but I find that level of interest refreshing. So please, do him and us a favour and post your honest opinion in the comments to this thread. How would you feel about Silver Style doing the next Fallout game rather than BIS?

Still, estimates say the game was already half done and it's highly unlikely that anyone purchasing rights to FO3 would get the thus far developed code as well. I'm also a bit weary about another dev house finishing it. On one hand, it'd be nice to be able to play it. OTOH, I'd rather not have it done at all if someone is going to F it up.

------------------
**UPDATE 2**
------------------

Screenie 1
Screenie 2
Please visit NMA for explanations about the screenshots and their completeness.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Yeah this really isnt news.

Once a dev studio sells its soul and with it, their ability to make decisions this happens.

Hopefully the new indies that make it big over the next several years do sell their soul. They can make money without doing so.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
R.I.P. BIS, creators of 3 of the best single-player computer RPGs of all time

* Planescape Torment
* Fallout
* Fallout 2

... the nameless one and vault dweller stride into the sunset ....

darkness falls.

kazeakuma

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

* Planescape Torment
* Fallout
* Fallout 2

darkness falls.

Amen. ;)

Sad though, I was really looking forward to Fallout 3. Damn you Interplay!

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
damn that really sucks! hopefully the former team can either get picked up or start a company of their own... kidna like all the blizzard guys

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
So Interplay stopped the game because they want to go console?

Fvcking bullsh!t. Fvck consoles.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

* Planescape Torment
* Fallout
* Fallout 2

darkness falls.

Planescape: Torment is my favorite game of all time.

:(:(:(:(

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

* Planescape Torment
* Fallout
* Fallout 2

darkness falls.

Most of the people that responsible for those games jumped the sinking ship(Interplay) awhile back.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
According to NMA, these people were laid off:

Scripters:
* Chad "Briareus" Nicholas
* Chris French
* Chris Heidari

Designers:
* John Deiley
* Damien "Puuk" Foletto >> Quote on NMA Forums: "I can think of an exec or two (or three0 I'd like to pummel, strip naked, and dump into the rec yard of Chino state prison..."
* Jeff Husges

Artists:
* Dany Martinez
* Vera Milosavich

Programmers:
* Jake Devore
* Yuki Furumi
* Mark Murakami
* Dave Vodhanel

Producers:
* Tom French
* Kevin Osburn

And according to NoMutantsAllowed, some of them DID work on the original Fallouts (I personally don't know who).

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
THOSE FVCKS!!!!!!

WHY MUST ALL THE GOOD GAMES END UP IN THE TRASH CAN???

as long as they don't make fallout 3 3D, it would have been the followup to 2 of THE BEST GAMES ever created! :|:|:|:(:(:(

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: KidViciou$
THOSE FVCKS!!!!!!

WHY MUST ALL THE GOOD GAMES END UP IN THE TRASH CAN???

as long as they don't make fallout 3 3D, it would have been the followup to 2 of THE BEST GAMES ever created! :|:|:|:(:(:(
Are you nuts? 3d would have been just great. It's if they made it realtime, then I would have been pissed.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Sunner
Fvcktards...Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planetscape...Fallout.

FALLOUT!!!!!
Baldur's Gate was a Bioware game, wasn't it? Although Icewind Dale, which was also excellent, was from Black Isle IIRC. :(