Update on Dawn of War problems

Aug 11, 2008
What a buggy mess this game is on Steam. I just wanted to post an update on further problems that I had in case it would help anyone else that is trying to play the game.

In my other post, I described having to create new folders in the graphics and engine folders. I thought I had solved the problem. WRONG.

The game would not let me create a profile, hence I could not start the game. I did considerable searching on the internet and Relic forums and apparently you have to create new profile folders if you update before running the game, which Steam automatically does.
However, this did not work with the Steam Version, probably because the path is different.
So I searched the Steam Forums, and found that somehow downloading the expansion Winter Assault solved this problem. So I did that and it works somehow.

So bottom line, "buyer beware" on this game. I think it is working now, but for others, who knows. Maybe they wont even have the problems I have had, but just be aware that so far I have spent more time trying to get the game to run than I have actually playing the game.

And as I said in my other post, I would think that at least for a featured special like this Steam would at least download the game and make sure it will run before they make it a featured special. But apparently not.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I've had it installed for awhile and never had a problem playing it on either of my W7 machines.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I never had any issues with it.

Am starting to think I know what the problem is.

YOUR SYSTEM SUCKS!!

Aug 11, 2008
I never had any issues with it.

Am starting to think I know what the problem is.

YOUR SYSTEM SUCKS!!

Thanks for the compliment. If my system sucks, so must that of many others, because there are a lot of posts on the internet of people having both of the exact same problems. And my system does far exceed the requirements of this game, which is only a PIII actually.
I can play Skyrim on med/high settings without problem, so yea, blame my system for the problems with this game.

I was just trying to give some information to express my frustration and possibly help any others who might have the same problem. Dont know why it was necessary to insult me.

Possibly if I had downloaded both the expansion and the original game before trying to play it would have solved both problems, I dont know. But it is pretty counterintuitive to have to download an expansion pack to play the original game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didnt insult you. I insulted your computer.

And it must be a modern OS problem cuz there were very few complaints with the disc version under Windows XP.

Sorry, you may just have to go with DOW 2.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
First I downloaded the Gold and it wouldn't run, then I downloaded the Winter whatever expansion and I was able to get in and get to the create a profile screen(and I created one). I am not actually looking to play it right now though...if I got that far, I'm good to go ages from now when I actually do play, it seems?

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
I bought the gold edition and ran it without problems.

I'm just unhappy about having to play it 4:3 with black bars.

Aug 11, 2008
I didnt insult you. I insulted your computer.

And it must be a modern OS problem cuz there were very few complaints with the disc version under Windows XP.

Sorry, you may just have to go with DOW 2.

If I was trying to run a graphically intense game, I could see criticizing my computer. It is a low end system now. But it is still pretty ridiculuous to say my computer is not good enough to run that game. Even my old second computer that I only use for surfing the net could run that game.

And in a way you did insult me because you implied that I was to stupid to realize my computer could not run the game (which is not the case anyway).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. New hardware and OS's dont always support old games properly.

If you could maybe run Virtual XP or something it might work.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. New hardware and OS's dont always support old games properly.

If you could maybe run Virtual XP or something it might work.

Last I knew no vm software has proper 3D hardware support. Someone should get to it already.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I bought the gold edition and ran it without problems.

I'm just unhappy about having to play it 4:3 with black bars.

IIRC DoW2 was released in 2003/2004 and didn't get any widescreen resolution support. Winter Assault which came out a year later, did.