UPDATE Oh crap, need resident electricians NOW!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Those screwless connections are the debil I say!
Securely wirenut the wires passing through the box to a short 6" jumper wire. Screw that jumper wire to the switch.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking
Securely wirenut the wires passing through the box to a short 6" jumper wire. Screw that jumper wire to the switch.

Yep. Stab-In is bad.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: skyking

Will do so tomorrow. God, I wish I could bitchslap the builder of this house. It's one stupid problem after another.

I never told you about my $4400 fix because the idiots nutted a 10 guage wire to a 12 guage wire to the water pump. Well, you guessed it, the waterpump shorted. Had to get it and the wiring replaced.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Turn off the power and check the connections to the switch. one of the wires could be loose.

That's what it was. They have 3 black lines going into the switch. One is looped around a screw on the side - no problem. Two are pushed in sepearate holes in the back of the switch. As I was pulling the switch out, I noticed one line was very loose and even a little corroded. That's gotta be the culprit.

Question is can I take the loose wire and hook it on to one of the side screws for a better secure connection or is there a way to get a tighter grip in the hole?

Use the side screws. Those push-in connectors are retarded.