UPDATE: New Question about Word 2003

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Update
Im going to be printing the manual soon. The page size in Word is setup to be 5.5"x8.5" in order to fit two pages on a landscaped piece of 8.5x11 paper. The paper will also be printed double sided so a total of four pages to a piece of paper. Is there any feature in word that will automate the printing order and let me run the paper through the printer twice for double-sided printing. It is going to be in a booklet format, that means like pages 1 and 32 will be on the same side, 2 and 31 will be on the opposite side and so on. Any way to accomplish this?
-----------------
Im creating an instruction manual (about 30 pages). Ive already implemented the styles formatting for my different levels of headers and such (4 levels in place). I want to make it so that the current level 3 heading is in the header of that page. Does anyone know how to automate this?

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I placed continuous section breaks in between all the sections, and I tried to follow the Word help with cross referencing but still cant get it to work correctly. When I place one section heading in, it makes that the header for all the pages, not just that section.

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003
Try MS Word Help "header".

A document must first be divided into sections in order to create a different header or footer for part of a document.

If you haven't done so already, insert a section break where you want to start a new section that contains a different header or footer.
How?

Click where you want to insert a section break.
On the Insert menu, click Break.
Under Section break types, click the option that describes where you want the new section to begin.
Click in the section for which you want to create a different header or footer.
On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Same as Previous to break the connection between the header and footer in the current section and the previous section.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I did all that but the last step. Im sort of confused of how to go about doing that 'same as previous'. Wouldnt that make it static, so when I add to the manual in different spots and the page shifts, how is it going to know to change the headers.

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003
Originally posted by: jmcoreymv
I did all that but the last step. Im sort of confused of how to go about doing that 'same as previous'. Wouldnt that make it static, so when I add to the manual in different spots and the page shifts, how is it going to know to change the headers.
All headers will be the same even with section break if you don't use same as previous.

To give section 3 with header only:

Section1 -- [Empty header]

Section2 -- [Empty header]

Section3 -- Click: section 3 > click: same as previous > add header text > scroll down to section 4

Section4 -- Click: section 2 > click: same as previous > delete header text will give you [empty header]

I'm not too clear with your question "so when I add to the manual in different spots and the page shifts, how is it going to know to change the headers?". If I understand you correctly, the section break should keep the heading & section integrity intact if you add/delete text/images to any section/s that you created.