-UPDATE-MY PLAN IS INSIDE-Car insurance question.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OpalFrost98GT

Aug 4, 2001
Is that a picture of the actual car??? That's a picture of a Mustang COBRA... 320 HP Cobra.
Of course you will get raped. The GT had only 215HP in 97.... just my .02

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: OpalFrost98GT
Is that a picture of the actual car??? That's a picture of a Mustang COBRA... 320 HP Cobra.

That car is a 97 GT (Ford mustang GT convertible 1997 red) not a cobra . http://www.apincorporated.com/usinus.htm

Well we got the price but before i say how much ours is tell me how your kids is. Just to match the prices and see if this is a mistake im making.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Twista

That car is a 97 GT (Ford mustang GT convertible 1997 red) not a cobra . http://www.apincorporated.com/usinus.htm

Well we got the price but before i say how much ours is tell me how your kids is. Just to match the prices and see if this is a mistake im making.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Don't feel bad, I have expensive as hell insurance too :x I've found

New Driver + 4WD + No Airbags + Big Tires = Reamed :-x

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: v3rrv3

May i ask how much or if thats too much info.. may i ask what around do you pay?

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Here it goes: Im a new drivers and my parents have a question (yes there going to call) about the insurance. (1.)Would the insurance be high because im underage and the car is a red manual mustang gt. (2.)If they were to put the car ONLY under there name and im driver. The insurance wouldn't cover it which means just them if anything was to happen. (3.)If the insurance was under my name only it would be a BIG amount of money to pay due to kind of car, age, ect. If you know more about situation post about it.

-also heard some dumb thing about if a car is RED the insurance is going to be higher b/c they get stolen more and crap-

I'm a new driver 18, I drive an Acura RSX type S so follow me on this one.

1) Yes, two door sports cars make the insurance higher. Bigger engine, bigger liability, and a little kid behind the wheel.
2) If they only put their name down on the insurance with you as one of the drivers, they can get busted for buying improper insurance. If you ARE the primary driver, they will bust your a$$.
3) Basically if it is your car (or you are the majority driver) you have to put your name down. I know that it sucks that you have to pay alot, but it's something we all have to go through.

My insurance is about 3,000 Canadian a year or 2,300 american I think.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Mu insurance for liabilty only is about 600 dollars. That is on a '93 two-door saab 900 under my parents policy and I'm 20. My brothers insurance is less then 350 dollars on a turbo 98 900 two-door saab at age 21. Both of use have clean driving records.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Hmm i might have to get a smaller car than :/. Was told if i get this car that i would have to get a job which would be pay check 2 check to have that car. Whicih means no spending moolah for me really. If i get a smaller car maybe i wont have to pay anything.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Originally posted by: v3rrv3

May i ask how much or if thats too much info.. may i ask what around do you pay?

I pretty sure it's around $144 a month roughly $1728 a year, and that's with them thinking it still has 27ish inch tires, no lift and still has wood paneling :-x

Edit: I forgot to mention that's with my dad's discount(I don't know how he gets it). Everywhere like Geico and Pemco was like $3000 or so, I think $2950 was the lowest quote I ever got.

- Kevin

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Boy this guy sure sounds like a real winner, or at least from what I can discern from his terrible English. He's probably 16, having just received his license, and his parents are buying him a mustang gt which he will never appreciate and/or deserve.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: PCMarine
Boy this guy sure sounds like a real winner, or at least from what I can discern from his terrible English. He's probably 16, having just received his license, and his parents are buying him a mustang gt which he will never appreciate and/or deserve.

Actually not.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

Looks like a Cobra to me... they got the wrong picture most likely.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I'm 22, male, and attempting to buy a '96 Mustang Cobra right now. If I buy the car I'm looking at, I'll be paying more for insurance than I do for the car payment, something like $225/month.

This is my 3rd mustang and my driving record isn't that bad (one ticket that will drop off my record in a few months).

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: bR

Looks like a Cobra to me... they got the wrong picture most likely.

It is a cobra.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
I drive a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, liability only. Got my license 4 months ago and my insurance is like $60/month. Haven't been in a wreck yet either :)

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
I am a 20 year old driver, I have had my license since I was 16. I am currently under my parents' insurance plan, my premium is $750 per year.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
I drive a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, liability only. Got my license 4 months ago and my insurance is like $60/month. Haven't been in a wreck yet either :)

Yes 60 is what i want man! Mines is over 140 and some are going to say wth thats cheap, but not in my pocket.. damn mustangs!

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Oh ya for thoses that didnt read up i posted the mustang montly plan. I think it was 140 a month or 142. I looked in the insurcane plan thread (poll). I think im going just get a older car and let someone else buy that baby! (damn i want it badly!) My plans would probably be around 60-80 800 something a year?

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Oh ya for thoses that didnt read up i posted the mustang montly plan. I think it was 140 a month or 142. I looked in the insurcane plan thread (poll). I think im going just get a older car and let someone else buy that baby! (damn i want it badly!) My plans would probably be around 60-80 800 something a year?

bump? Do you think this price is too much for a single car at my age? I may get a older car now maybe another ford and i kind of stick but i may get manual (cry my so call mustang was stick).. (i dont like pickup truck) Would you pay this much for your teen for there car?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
When I first started driving at 18 (the car in the sig) my rate was about $200 a month. Now that I got a good driver discount and the like its down to $110 or so for full coverage (4 years later).

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
It was only $140ish for insurance on the Mustang? That's hella cheap compared to me being added as a a driver (not primary, 1 car and 3 people on policy, not like I was ever gonna drive it anyhow), it was gonna cost like $300 a month for a freaking Ford Windstar!

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

bump? Do you think this price is too much for a single car at my age? I may get a older car now maybe another ford and i kind of stick but i may get manual (cry my so call mustang was stick).. (i dont like pickup truck) Would you pay this much for your teen for there car?

Mine was around $2k/year... and thats with a crappy 4-door domestic sedan. Considering how my parents never bought me a new car... i sure as hell wouldn't do it either. :p But hey its all up to you... my friend has a $45k car when he turned 18 and he wont tell me how much his insurance premium is. Spoiled b.tch. :D