-UPDATE-MY PLAN IS INSIDE-Car insurance question.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Here it goes: Im a new drivers and my parents have a question (yes there going to call) about the insurance. (1.)Would the insurance be high because im underage and the car is a red manual mustang gt. (2.)If they were to put the car ONLY under there name and im driver. The insurance wouldn't cover it which means just them if anything was to happen. (3.)If the insurance was under my name only it would be a BIG amount of money to pay due to kind of car, age, ect. If you know more about situation post about it.

-also heard some dumb thing about if a car is RED the insurance is going to be higher b/c they get stolen more and crap-

Well we got the price but before i say how much ours is tell me how your kids is. Just to match the prices and see if this is a mistake im making.

SuperPickle

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2001
1) Yes
2) What?
3) Yes

Male and under 25 years old means more $$
A new car means more $$.
A sports car means more $$.
Red means more $$ (I think this has something to do with the likelyhood of getting a ticket, but I may be wrong). Two-doors means more $$

Best bet: buy a beater and insure it under your parent's policy - you as the primary driver. You'll pay about the same as having your own policy, but the coverage will be better under your parents'.
Get good grades - most companies offer discounts for good students
Never, ever, get a ticket...your pocketbook will thank you. If you have the need to speed, grow up and speed when you can afford it.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Prepare to grab your ankles.

New Driver + Horsepower + Sportscar + 2 door + red = get some lube.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Thanks gonna cost money to insure, get an old beater, small trucks get low insurance because they don't carry many people

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
this brings up a good question. lets say only my dad is listed as a driver on a car. I drive it for a day and get into an accident. What would happen? Would insurance cover?

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: lilcam
this brings up a good question. lets say only my dad is listed as a driver on a car. I drive it for a day and get into an accident. What would happen? Would insurance cover?

If you're licensed, some companies would cover you (I believe.)

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Geico quoted me $3876 a year for a 18 year old. (won't give a quote on a 16 year old.) I would guess 50%+ more for 16 year old, based on how much my ins went down on 18 year birthday.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003

(2.)If they were to put the car ONLY under there name and im driver. The insurance wouldn't cover it which means just them if anything was to happen. My question from 1st post but its worded wrong.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
man this so not fair! I dont want a old beater and even if i got a job it would be paycheck to paycheck just for this dang car+gas+car wash.. damn life is life..wonder what life is going to bring down the line.. which is a job+family. I like this car b/c of how it sound and rides and a old beater or everyday inst going to this lol. Guess i could get a pentoe.

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Twista
man this so not fair! I dont want a old beater and even if i got a job it would be paycheck to paycheck just for this dang car+gas+car wash.. damn life is life..wonder what life is going to bring down the line.. which is a job+family. I like this car b/c of how it sound and rides and a old beater or everyday inst going to this lol. Guess i could get a pentoe.

Pinto you mean?

Well insurance rates are so high because a high percentage of ppl in that age bracket get into accidents...

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Storm

Pinto you mean?

Well insurance rates are so high because a high percentage of ppl in that age bracket get into accidents...

Ya so why the color red? Thats pretty strange.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

Pinto you mean?

because people with red car tend to get into more accidents. Ask yourself why you want a red car.

Oct 9, 1999
Its not red alone..

Yellow, Black and White are also high insurance rates.

Red because they can see you from a distance.

The lowest insurance colors are silver, blue, and green.

Anycase, i suggest staying away from teh mustang.. i know how much you like the sound.. but frankly your too young to handle that kind of power.. be fortunate you got a car that you can drive to school.. no need to pimp yourself at school to get tail.. the fact that you got a car is enough to get tail.

stop being a spoilt brat and get something like a ford festiva and rice it out.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
Its not red alone..

Yellow, Black and White are also high insurance rates.

Red because they can see you from a distance.

The lowest insurance colors are silver, blue, and green.

Anycase, i suggest staying away from teh mustang.. i know how much you like the sound.. but frankly your too young to handle that kind of power.. be fortunate you got a car that you can drive to school.. no need to pimp yourself at school to get tail.. the fact that you got a car is enough to get tail.

stop being a spoilt brat and get something like a ford festiva and rice it out.

Actually your kind of wrong. The car is someone we know and there gone to iraq or somewere involving the army. When he gets back hes getting a new car and since we know him good hes going to sell the car (for not too much). So the spoil brat part is wrong and the ford festiva is lmfao car (looks like a foreign car) Only thing stiring me away from the mustang is the insurance and may make my parents not buy it and get a smaller car that is cool for 1st time car. Since this was a good deal and chance the mustang came 1st for my first time car. Who knows if we didnt know the guy i prob would have a 1980 beat down car.. (nothing wrong with 1980 cars.. many of my friends have older cars)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Pinto you mean?

Insurance rates for any car are based on historical data, so it depends a lot on the type of people who drive the car. A high-end Porsche could cost less to insure than your Mustang, because Porsches are mostly driven by wealthy people who baby their cars, while Mustangs are driven more by young people who drive recklessly. Add to that the fact that you're a teenage male (you won't realize how bad a driver you are until you're older), and you're going to get raped on insurance. I'd say forget about the Mustang, it's not worth paying that much for insurance. But it's your life. :)

Edit: How much are you getting the Mustang for?

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Someone answer this quiestion please:

Edit: How much are you getting the Mustang for? : Just way cheaper than you can get a used one from a car dealer (dont want to get stuff started).

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

Edit: How much are you getting the Mustang for? : Just way cheaper than you can get a used one from a car dealer (dont want to get stuff started).

I think you would be covered for liabilty but not for full coverage if you had it. Of course no insurance company in it right mind will allow a you to live in the same house as your parnets with out insurance.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000

are you insured yourself?

my car is fully insured for anyone who drives it EXCEPT people that have been excluded. i'm also fully insured to drive anyone else's car.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I think in most cases, as long as the car is insured it doesn't matter who is driving it. In some places though, the person who is driving the car is only covered if they are over 25 (unless they are listed on the insurance policy). Check with your insurance company. What you are suggesting (listing your father as the primary driver of the car for insurance purposes even though you are the pirmary driver of the car) is not only unethical, it is most likely illegal (insurance fraud). It's not likely that you'll be caught, but I think your friends could get a reward for turning you in. :)

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Well we got the price but before i say how much ours is tell me how your kids is. Just to match the prices and see if this is a mistake im making.

Jan 31, 2002
Young driver + * = Raped.

Your best bet is to buy a tank-style early 90's pickup truck if you want low insurance ... but being 16, you're hosed for the next five or six years regardless.

- M4H