** UPDATE**Looking to upgrade X850XT PE, want quiet and not too power hungry

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
You should get that 8800 GTS problem figured out, it's way better then the X850, and you already have it....

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
You should get that 8800 GTS problem figured out, it's way better then the X850, and you already have it....

I wonder if I might be having an issue because my PSU is underpowered, it recommends 400w and I have 300w psu?

The 6850 looks like a great card but it requires a 450w power supply.

I'll give driversweeper a shot.

I think my best option may be to try the 5670 and driversweeper.

I also think that certain cards may be better optimized for this older sim and bigger, faster and more expensive may not always be better.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I wonder if I might be having an issue because my PSU is underpowered, it recommends 400w and I have 300w psu?

The 6850 looks like a great card but it requires a 450w power supply.

I'll give driversweeper a shot.

I think my best option may be to try the 5670 and driversweeper.

I also think that certain cards may be better optimized for this older sim and bigger, faster and more expensive may not always be better.

You may be pushing it with an 8800gts on that OEM 300w PSU. The 5670 will definitely work with that PSU, and it should be as fast as the 8800gts, which is likely all you need.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
You don't need another card if you have an 8800 kicking around. You need a better psu most likely. Honestly that would be the best money spent and allow for future upgrades

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
You don't need another card if you have an 8800 kicking around. You need a better psu most likely. Honestly that would be the best money spent and allow for future upgrades

Might be too complicated with a Lenovo computer. I'd just stick with trying out the 5670 personally. It's a great match for the system, draws way less power than either the OP's x850xt or 8800gts, and it's an easy swap.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
So I got the card yesterday and it seems to be ok. After a couple of tweaks it seems to be on par with my x850xt perhaps around 5% faster and my Windows score went from 4.9 x850xt, 6.7 8800gts to 6.8 5670.

At the end of the day it's a very quiet card with ample power, I'm not at all blown away with the improvements from 5 years ago but I am satisfied. It does appear that the sim is either software capped or these newer cards just aren't optimized.

Thanks again for all your help,

Tom

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
So I got the card yesterday and it seems to be ok. After a couple of tweaks it seems to be on par with my x850xt perhaps around 5% faster and my Windows score went from 4.9 x850xt, 6.7 8800gts to 6.8 5670.

At the end of the day it's a very quiet card with ample power, I'm not at all blown away with the improvements from 5 years ago but I am satisfied. It does appear that the sim is either software capped or these newer cards just aren't optimized.

Thanks again for all your help,

Tom

Good to hear. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if that 2003 game is CPU-limited, or the video drivers just aren't designed for games of that vintage. A lot has changed about the way graphics are rendered since 2003.

Your card is obviously functioning correctly, since the WEI went from 4.9 to 6.8 (and was right where I thought it would be, essentially tied with the 8800gts). Perhaps you didn't need the upgrade for the game you play, but for other games, I promise you it will be much faster than the x850xt, and it's cooler, quieter, and uses less power too. Perhaps you should invest in a new racing game just to see what the card can do. F1 2010 maybe?

Last edited:

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Good to hear. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if that 2003 game is CPU-limited, or the video drivers just aren't designed for games of that vintage. A lot has changed about the way graphics are rendered since 2003.

Your card is obviously functioning correctly, since the WEI went from 4.9 to 6.8 (and was right where I thought it would be, essentially tied with the 8800gts). Perhaps you didn't need the upgrade for the game you play, but for other games, I promise you it will be much faster than the x850xt, and it's cooler, quieter, and uses less power too. Perhaps you should invest in a new racing game just to see what the card can do. F1 2010 maybe?

Termie,

Yeah I'm sure it's a much better card and I will look into F1 2010.

Thanks again,

Tom