Update! It look like Sigma is giving Canikon a run for the money.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_24_105_4/

Sigma is going after the kit lens market and has just introduced a 24-105mm F4 that is the bread and butter of Canon, and perhaps give the Nikon shooters a lens that is missing in the Nikon lineup.

Currently street price for the 24-105L is around $1150, or $850 for white box version. And, $1300 for Nikon 24-120 F4.

IMHO, Sigma would own the CaNikon wide to medium tele zoom if the lens come in under $700, and produce similar or better IQ (if they some how perfect the auto focus with Canikon bodies it would be a killer lens).

[add]

Canon_ef_24-105mm_mtfchart.JPG

Canon 24-105 F4 MTF

db988336513cb2d8.jpg

Nikkor 24-120 F4

mtf.gif
Sigma-24-105mm-f4-DG-OS-HSM-lens-MTF-chart.gif

Sigma 24-105 F4

The MTF charts shown that:
Canon > Nikon > Sigma slightly sharper at the center and edge at the wide end.

Canon > Nikon >= Sigma slightly sharper at the center, and definitely sharper at edge at the telephoto end .

Update: It will be available in November, and price is at post below.

Last edited:

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
The Sigma lenses I've used have never let me down, and they do seem to be thinking beyond the old norms with their lenses.

I'd be quite happy with two APS-C bodies, one with their 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM and the other with the 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM. Except for maybe real estate interiors, I could shoot just about everything with those two lenses alone.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Sigma makes good lenses. I've never bought one though since those I was interested in tended to be kinda heavy compared to the competition. Look at their 50mm for example. I think it uses a 77mm thread and it's pretty huge for a nifty fifty. Good lens though!

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
The Sigma lenses I've used have never let me down, and they do seem to be thinking beyond the old norms with their lenses.

I'd be quite happy with two APS-C bodies, one with their 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM and the other with the 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM. Except for maybe real estate interiors, I could shoot just about everything with those two lenses alone.
I'm thinking of adding the 120-300 to my lens collection, but holding off for a year hoping it drop down to around $2~2.5K. I would definitely get the 135mm F1.8 OS (with 8-9 blades diaphragm) if that rumor prove to be true and the IQ is comparable to Canon 135L. 24-70 F2 OS is another that I'm somewhat interested in as well.

Last edited:

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I had a 28-70 F/2.8 EX lens a few years back. It had horrible contrast. Here's a comparison with an old pentax prime. The coatings looked noticeably worse on the Sigma. I hope they improved it now.

zoomvsprime2.jpg

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The link is broken.

BTW, I had an old Sigma wide angle EOS-mount prime that didn't work with newer Canon cameras, and Sigma decided it wasn't worth updating the EEPROM on it to make it compatible, effectively making it a paperweight for me.

It wasn't an expensive lens, but it was enough to piss me off. I haven't bought a Sigma lens since.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
My 17-70 Sigma is a mixed bag.
In the "right" conditions, it can produce some nice photos.
In all other conditions, it just seems blah - not particularly sharp, and not contrasty enough.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
The link is broken.

BTW, I had an old Sigma wide angle EOS-mount prime that didn't work with newer Canon cameras, and Sigma decided it wasn't worth updating the EEPROM on it to make it compatible, effectively making it a paperweight for me.

It wasn't an expensive lens, but it was enough to piss me off. I haven't bought a Sigma lens since.
It looked like Sigma removed the link, but the information on the 24-105 Sigma can be found through Google.

Here is one from Canon Rumors: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/10/official-sigma-24-105mm-f4-dg-os/

And, from Nikon Rumors: http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/14/s...leaked-already-listed-on-sigmas-website.aspx/

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Sigma's been working hard in the past year or two to really change their image (pun intended). The Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM and 50-150 are both really really sharp lenses, but are slightly below Canikon in build quality. Their newer lenses like the 35 f/1.4 and 18-35 f/1.8 are excellent optics with great build quality to match. Not to mention they are the first manufacturer to sell a dock that can update firmware/autofocus tuning directly to the lens.

I really like the direction that company is going, and more competition will only help push Canikon.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I had a 28-70 F/2.8 EX lens a few years back. It had horrible contrast. Here's a comparison with an old pentax prime. The coatings looked noticeably worse on the Sigma. I hope they improved it now.

zoomvsprime2.jpg

but look at it from this point of view: Sigma produces more dynamic range than the other one :)

More dynamic range > color any day (since color will just be PP'd anyways)

uOpt

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2004
I really hate it when the curves for the sagittal lines look like a car driven off a cliff. Those lenses are all garbage, IMHO.

Sigma did a great job with the 35mm f/1.4 Art. That's what I'm gonna get. With the USB dock to adjust it.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
but look at it from this point of view: Sigma produces more dynamic range than the other one :)

More dynamic range > color any day (since color will just be PP'd anyways)

How did you conclude that the Sigma has more dynamic range? The color is worse on the Sigma since the contrast is bad. That means if you looked at the histogram, the data isn't filling the entire range of the histogram. It's compressed into a smaller range. That means less dynamic range.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
How did you conclude that the Sigma has more dynamic range? The color is worse on the Sigma since the contrast is bad. That means if you looked at the histogram, the data isn't filling the entire range of the histogram. It's compressed into a smaller range. That means less dynamic range.

Agreed.

Low contrast comes from reflections within the lens, and doesn't improve dynamic range. You sacrifice more sensitivity at the bottom than you gain at the top from this kind of compression...