Update game server thread!!!!

Lord Demios

Oct 11, 1999
I have posted an update also at the end of this thread.

***Edit***
HUGE Thanks go to RustedOne. Without his help we would still have no game box. He sent the box 128 megs of PC-133 RAM!!!!! A Huge thanks to you Rusty for all of your help.

BIG THANKS GO TO JATOR!!!! The new motherboard and CPU have arrived. IF we can get some more money for the ram, the server will be up pretty soon. THANKS A MILLION JAY!!!!!

WE HAVE A NICE CASE!!!! A NICE 10 GIG WD ULTRA 66 HARD DRIVE!!!! (BIG THANKS GO TO BGod FOR THOSE)

WE HAVE A NETWORK CARD!!! A GREAT D-LINK 10/100 CARD FOR THE SERVER!! (HUGE THANKS GO to Wolf4dk!!)

And last but not least!!!

WE HAVE SOME MONEY!!!!! 20 DOLLARS FROM BOTH MechBgon and Wolf4dk!!!!!

***Edit****
I don't want anyone to forget that Joe Cool gave the very first item to this project. A 3dfx Card that does 2D and 3D.
Thanks Joe!!!

Thanks Guys, with the hard drive I can start the setup, on this hard drive are some maps also given to us by BGod!!

Just letting you know and giving you credit.

LD

LD

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good to hear that you got the NIC card LD. It works I persume....

Let us know how the machine it doing....

Wolf

BGod

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Make sure you tell T47 & myself when you get the game server going. He want's to frag me silly!
Did Jay's mobo & cpu make it yet?

DStroth

Oct 10, 1999
Yay! Another UT server! ;) UT is so much fun... Hey.. ßGød, Jay set up a nice UT server at jator.ods.org that works nicely for 1 to 4 player games. :) I think it is instagib right now.. hmm.. maybe I should go play some more.. :D

DStroth

Lord Demios

Oct 11, 1999
The MoBo and CPU came in today. Bphantom and myself have been doing a little work. Because of the amount of heat that the CPU creates, we have created a special AC Powered cooling system. When more work is done, pictures will most likely be posted. As for when it will be up, is up to you guys!!!

The goal is to have enough money to get a 128 meg PC-133 dimm. Right now the current pool is at 40 dollars. If we can get more money the box will be up and running sooner. I am working on getting the hard drive all setup. There will be MANY, MANY new options and great additons to this box.

So.....

SEND YOUR MONEY IN, and HELP GAMEBOX!!!

PS
Game box is a dedicated game server for TA and other friendly Distributed Computing teams! (SysOpt). I use to run 3 machines with UT and UT demo along with Q3 demo but when I left my job, the machine died too. :( So before I left I offered the idea of creating a TA owned machine. This machine is dedicated for games, stats, new maps, and custom challenge games made by my web interface. With these options people can make the game server do what they want.

This is what Gamebox is. :)

LD

DStroth

Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, Wolf, it is full only.. ;)
Oooh.. Cool LD! It'll be nice to get atleast one of your great servers back up!! :D

DStroth

Jator

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2000
LD,

I hope you didn't mind my glued on CPU fans. THe cpu came from a Gateway that I upgraded and it used a funnel from the ps to suck air across the fins. I found this to be very inefficient, and didn't want to try and crack the CPU case to get the heatsink off, so I just attached the 2 cheap fans.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product when you post some pics. ;)

Jay

Edit

DOH!!! I just read your thread on SysOpts forum an saw that you needed a CD-ROM. I have a HP72001 that doesn't burn any more, only reads. I've been keeping it as a backup, but so far have not needed another CD-ROM. I could have sent it in the package!!!

/me kicks himself.

Lord Demios

Oct 11, 1999
That would be great! :)

As for the fans, they have been removed. I might as well tell you the new cooling system Bphantom and myself have been working on. The idea is that we replace the power supply fan and a front case fan, with AC 3 inch cooling fans. We are going to be drilling a hole in the front of the case and install a Dryer vent into it. :) (Big Grin) With this addition we will add dryer tube from the power supply to the front of the case. Then we slit the under side of the tube and put it over the CPU. With this setup, not only do we have all CPU heat being exahusted from the front of the case, we will be installing some ventilation covers onto the case. Pretty much, massive air flow on the CPU and plenty of out holes for the heat in the case.

Should look really neat.

LD

BGod

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
MY POOR INWIN Q500A !!! :(

It couldn't be in better hands though. I'd done some modifications to it already, but the duct thing sounds a little extreme! I did drill out the front little holes to 1/2" in diameter.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The pipe is taken care of, we get access to an OC-12.:)

Lord Demios

Oct 11, 1999
BGod, no mods have been done yet, we weren't sure how you would take it. I noticed the drill out in the front. Looks really good. I will post pictures when we have this thing done. :)

Thanks for the help on this guys, it should be a total blast. I was thinking of adding a new feature. How about returning tradewars to this box. Linux has some free BBS like software for the internet. I wouldn't have a problem throwing that on. Mainly because a fair number of us like those games too. :)

Thanks for the support and I hope to have some serious case hacking done soon. :) The nice thing about where the server is located is that the air is filtered for dust and it's always about 55 to 60 degrees in the area. :)

Catch you guys later

LD

BurntKooshie

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
LD....its not much. I don't know what bus speed you plan on using. if you use <=75mhz, I can garuntee you 32mb dimms. They will ONLY run at CAS 3 @ 75mhz. @ 66mhz, it will run at CAS 2. Its not much, but if it can be of use, i'll send it.

Lord Demios

Oct 11, 1999
I'm going to ask you to hold onto that memory for just a bit. If what happens happens, we won't need it. (Big thanks go out to this person, and you know who you are. Plus it will be posted when it arrives!!)

Thanks again for the support guys.!!

LD

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
RustedOne, that donation of the RAM was darn generous of you! I am looking forward to this! :p

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Someone mind telling me what LD's big surrpise was?;)

Lord Demios

Oct 11, 1999
Rusted One sent the box 128 PC-133 MEG DIMM!!!!

It came, it worked, so we have some ram. I was hoping to post some pictures with a brand new posting and at the top of that a thank you to Rusty. :)

We do need some more help thought, (Hate to sound like a broken record but) I have taken the parts I bought for the machine (Case Mods) out of my own pocket as a donation. If Jay's offer still stands, we could have a DUAL CPU 550 machine if we can get just a little bit of money. All of the ram that is currently in the machine will work with a new machine. BPhantom lent me 2 32meg PC-100 dimms for our fun.

I would like to get this machine another 10 gigs of hard drive space. I know some of you might ask, &quot;Why do we need 20 gigs of space?&quot; The truth is, right now we don't, but the logs, new maps, new games, and everything else we want, adds up QUICKLY!. :)

I would like to get these to be the stats of our game box.

Dual Cel-550 setup
256 megs of ram
20 gigs of hard drive space
and one Team of Anandtechers ready to kick some non-TA BUTT!!!

The standings on what we need to get this far is this.

210 dollars so we can buy the Dual-a-ron from Jay
128 Megs of PC-133 ram so we can get up to what we had on the old game boxes.
10 more gigs of hard drive space. (Yes it can do Ultra DMA 66)

Thanks for all of the help guys.

LD