*UPDATE* Charle Rose - Saddam is Likely to Unleash WMD at his end.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: ebloom
Damn. There are still peeps out there who naively believe Hussein doesn't have WMD.
rolleye.gif

Damn...there are still people out there who believe everything they are told and even worse...there are still people who use the word "peeps".
rolleye.gif

uhhmm Saddam DECLARED he had them.....

never let the facts get in the way of what you believe.....
rolleye.gif

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Saddam blowing up Baghdad is not going to cause this fantastic uprising of Jihad.

What about the Fatwa's issued by Iraqi's AGAINST Saddam, a SECULAR leader? I would think the words of the most repsected religious leaders in Iraq will carry some weight in the arab world, even Osama himself says he wouldn't be to displeased to see Saddam go. You act as if the whole middle east is rising to help him, you speak of "reinforcements" ( i think they blew up that BUS too), those are small bands of people ALREADY that committed, Saddam calling for Jihad is not going to get any reaction from anyone who wasn't ready to do such an act anyway.

The Arab world will blame Saddam more so than anyone if your scenario plays out, you forget he is not a religous man himself, and his regime has oppressed, tortured, and killed more muslims than any western nation.

What happens when the rest of the Arab world sees how happy the Iraqi people are that we are there? What happens when they see how our efforts so quickly produced a viable, prosperous country in which all muslims led a good life?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Saddam blowing up Baghdad is not going to cause this fantastic uprising of Jihad.

What about the Fatwa's issued by Iraqi's AGAINST Saddam, a SECULAR leader? I would think the words of the most repsected religious leaders in Iraq will carry some weight in the arab world, even Osama himself says he wouldn't be to displeased to see Saddam go. You act as if the whole middle east is rising to help him, you speak of "reinforcements" ( i think they blew up that BUS too), those are small bands of people ALREADY that committed, Saddam calling for Jihad is not going to get any reaction from anyone who wasn't ready to do such an act anyway.

The Arab world will blame Saddam more so than anyone if your scenario plays out, you forget he is not a religous man himself, and his regime has oppressed, tortured, and killed more muslims than any western nation.

What happens when the rest of the Arab world sees how happy the Iraqi people are that we are there? What happens when they see how our efforts so quickly produced a viable, prosperous country in which all muslims led a good life?
Well, it looks like Saddam is alive (as I have said over-and-over) . . . and MY HOPE is that this awful scenario doesn't happen.

However, I think your's is wishful thinking. Many analysts already believe the moderate arabs are "on the edge" as civilians casualties continue. If a huge disaster occurs, the Arabs will blame US without thinking.

As I said (again), I HOPE it doesn't happen - but it is certainly possible - WHAT DOES the Coalition DO TO PREVENT HIS USE OF WMD in Baghdad?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin

Well, it looks like Saddam is alive (as I have said over-and-over) . . . and MY HOPE is that this awful scenario doesn't happen.

However, I think your's is wishful thinking. Many analysts already believe the moderate arabs are "on the edge" as civilians casualties continue. If a huge disaster occurs, the Arabs will blame US without thinking.

As I said (again), I HOPE it doesn't happen - but it is certainly possible - WHAT DOES the Coalition DO TO PREVENT HIS USE OF WMD in Baghdad?
While I'm beginning to think more and more Saddam is NOT alive, I do concur with your hopes that this does not happen. I heard on some newscast that the coalition forces targeting missile launchers and taking out equipment all but eliminated the capabilities of the Iraqi forces to launch WMD.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: conjur

While I'm beginning to think more and more Saddam is NOT alive, I do concur with your hopes that this does not happen. I heard on some newscast that the coalition forces targeting missile launchers and taking out equipment all but eliminated the capabilities of the Iraqi forces to launch WMD.
The LATEST news - according to analysts - indicates he IS alive.

If you are planning to set off WMD inside Baghdad with the INTENT to cause MAXIMUM civilian casualties - you don't need any 'stinkin' launchers'. ;)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

If you are planning to set off WMD inside Baghdad with the INTENT to cause MAXIMUM civilian casualties - you don't need any 'stinkin' launchers'. ;)
Yeah...figures as soon as I posted that msg that Saddam is seen on Iraqi TV mentioning a farmer that shot down a U.S. helicopter (pffft...as if that really happened but it shows Saddam was alive as of that occurrence).

And, AFA WMD are concerned, how to disburse them? I am not technically up on how that is done but it was my understanding that munitions need to be capable of containing the agents while not being destroyed themselves when the munition detonates.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Jmman
There has been a Jihad against the US for 20 years. Are they going to declare "Double Jihad"??

...maybe the dreaded double dog dare Jihad.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: PG
Originally posted by: Jmman
There has been a Jihad against the US for 20 years. Are they going to declare "Double Jihad"??

...maybe the dreaded double dog dare Jihad.

Or even the triple dog dare Jihad.

You cannot refuse a "triple dog dare".

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: conjur

Yeah...figures as soon as I posted that msg that Saddam is seen on Iraqi TV mentioning a farmer that shot down a U.S. helicopter (pffft...as if that really happened but it shows Saddam was alive as of that occurrence).

And, AFA WMD are concerned, how to disburse them? I am not technically up on how that is done but it was my understanding that munitions need to be capable of containing the agents while not being destroyed themselves when the munition detonates.
Huh?

And there is the doubly-dreaded quadruple dog dare jihad . . . :p

rolleye.gif

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Guess I was trying to get across the question of how are the agents disbursed? Typically, it's via warhead, right? If their launch capabilities are destroyed, how to then disburse the agents?

Oh...and is quadruple double-dog dare worse than an I really, really, really mean it? :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Thanks . . .

However, if your target is "local" or "immediate" - especially if WMD are biological, chemical or nuclear dirty bomb - I imagine they can be released into the wind and still do an incredible amount of casualties around it's 'gound zero'. Baghdad is about the size of LA with a high concentration of population in most areas.

EDIT: The dreaded 4x DDD is the "I'm gonna hold my breath 'till I turn blue" cause I really really (really) mean it . . . "and press these buttons".

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Thanks . . .

However, if your target is "local" or "immediate" - especially if WMD are biological, chemical or nuclear dirty bomb - I imagine they can be released into the wind and still do an incredible amount of casualties around it's 'gound zero'. Baghdad is about the size of LA with a high concentration of population in most areas.
True.

EDIT: The dreaded 4x DDD is the "I'm gonna hold my breath 'till I turn blue" cause I really really (really) mean it . . . "and press these buttons".
:Q

That would definitely be the end of the world as we know it.