*UPDATE* Charle Rose - Saddam is Likely to Unleash WMD at his end.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Morph
You guys need to learn how to trim your quotes.
Didn't you notice that I replied without quoting (the previous poster)in my last post? :)

Yes - quoting excessively gets irritating especially when only the last part needs a reply and sometimes meanings get lost just in the BULK of the thread.

Time for a bit of sleep. . . .

Until later,

Peace and Aloha

ebloom

May 3, 2002
Damn. There are still peeps out there who naively believe Hussein doesn't have WMD.
rolleye.gif

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: ebloom
Damn. There are still peeps out there who naively believe Hussein doesn't have WMD.
rolleye.gif

Damn...there are still people out there who believe everything they are told and even worse...there are still people who use the word "peeps".
rolleye.gif

AdmiralTiger

Feb 17, 2003
If he does unleash WMDs on Baghdad when Coalition troops are in Iraq and he did it himself (killing his own life in the process, but doubtful), we'd have achieved our goal, overthrowing the regime.... but of course the aftermath is not what we want to see.

Let's hope Saddam doesn't surf through the web and finds this place... :frown:

If that happens.. we're screwed and we'd have to build bunkers in our backyards. :disgust:

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin

2) Set off every WMD available inside Baghdad - Conventional explosives, biological agents, chemical weapons and "dirty bomb" nukes.

This will 1) Kill MILLIONS of his own citizens and

2) Tens of thousands of Coalition forces.

and this will result in

ARAB anger exploding into a general Jihad against the US and Britain.

Why? Saddam has no moral qualms about sacrificing his own people - like he admires suicide bombers - to achieve his goal (jihad).
How does Saddam using WMD in his grand finale equate to an explosion of Arab anger directed at the US with a subsequent jihad? Of course the jihad part is believable because we have heard various Arab leaders proclaiming jihad against the Great Satan for decades now but the reality turns out to be something quite different. We've heard the same jihad proclaimed upon a much smaller nation, Israel, and the Arabs seem to always go limping back to their holes licking their wounds.

So what's to suddenly unite the disparate Arab world? Saddam going out with a bang? I doubt it it very much.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Wow, ABC speculated about it, so it must be... SPECULATION

Admittedly its a definite possibility, but that doesnt make it a certainty

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: AdmiralTiger
If he does unleash WMDs on Baghdad when Coalition troops are in Iraq and he did it himself (killing his own life in the process, but doubtful), we'd have achieved our goal, overthrowing the regime.... but of course the aftermath is not what we want to see.

Let's hope Saddam doesn't surf through the web and finds this place... :frown:

If that happens.. we're screwed and we'd have to build bunkers in our backyards. :disgust:
I am quite CERTAIN that I am not giving Saddam "ideas". They needed to be set in place for years to be effective. And Saddam is nothing if he is not PARANOID . . . he has had plenty of time to prepare - unlike the coalition which seems "rushed".

And a "horrible thought" was suggested by another poster - who's to say Saddam will not ESCAPE in the confusion? :Q

EDIT:
I am NOT saying it is "certain" - just LIKELY.

So what's to suddenly unite the disparate Arab world? Saddam going out with a bang? I doubt it it very much.
IF the Arabs are livid when FIFTY Iraqis are killed (probably by Saddam's orders to fire a missle on HIS people) by what they think is a US attack on cicilians, do you think they will even PAUSE to THINK? They will REACT and be INFLAMED by their religious leader "nuts".

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

EDIT:

What I'm saying is just because ABC agrees with you, doesnt make it any more likely

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Mookow

EDIT:

What I'm saying is just because ABC agrees with you, doesnt make it any more likely
Actually - let's put this in perspective - it's not ABC's opinion - it was a single interview with an "analyst".

However, I have been WARNING this same thing for days - you can see my locked thread in OT before this forum was created. Thus thread is a "validation" of my "warning".

You understand what a "warning" is? I am sad to say - our leadership - doesn't have any INSIGHT into the Arab mind and no comprehension of the Evil they are facing.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

EDIT:

Actually - let's put this in perspective - it's not ABC's opinion - it was a single interview with an "analyst".

However, I have been WARNING this same thing for days - you can see my locked thread in OT before this forum was created. Thus thread is a "validation" of my "warning".

You understand what a "warning" is? I am sad to say - our leadership - doesn't have any INSIGHT into the Arab mind and no comprehension of the Evil they are facing.

I'm sure that this possibility is not anything new to our leaders, and it was more then likely accounted for. This is even a greater reason to halt on the ground invasion into Baghdad, keep on pounding it with air strikes, and cut off all traffic into and out of the city for a time. By no means is this a solution, I can't even begin to comprehend the massive amounts of information that the real generals have concerning the military situation. Hopefully this will soften their mindset up quite a bit. Regardles, I pray for the lives of the soldiers currently in Iraq, and especially soldiers that will eventually go into the streets of Baghdad and other large cities.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BigJ2078

I'm sure that this possibility is not anything new to our leaders, and it was more then likely accounted for. This is even a greater reason to halt on the ground invasion into Baghdad, keep on pounding it with air strikes, and cut off all traffic into and out of the city for a time. By no means is this a solution, I can't even begin to comprehend the massive amounts of information that the real generals have concerning the military situation. Hopefully this will soften their mindset up quite a bit. Regardles, I pray for the lives of the soldiers currently in Iraq, and especially soldiers that will eventually go into the streets of Baghdad and other large cities.
I am quite sure our leaders - Bush-Runsfeld-Blair are CLUELESS. Our generals may well realize danger but they get SHUT DOWN by their commanders if they give out the slightest hint that things are not going well.

The question STILL is: What do "we" do to prevent the mass destruction of Baghdad by Saddam? I am quite sure "prayer" is NOT the answer. :p

rolleye.gif

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Sure - but next time I'd appreciate It if you did your OWN searches. :p

The ground "pause" was necessary, according to Lt. Gen. William Wallace, the Army's top commander at the front, because supply lines were stretched so thin. He also told reporters that Iraqi resistance was more intense than anticipated which could make the war longer.

Sources said his comments drew an angry phone call from his boss Gen. Tommy Franks. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld would not say if Wallace was in trouble.

"I suppose everyone can have their own view," Rumsfeld told reporters today.

The view from the field squared with what Wallace was saying, even if the Bush administration did not like it.

"The United States was planning on walking in here like it was easy and all," Marine Sgt. Jimmy Paiz said. "It's not that easy to conquer a country, is it?"

Supply lines, under continued assault from Iraqi guerrillas, appear to be under duress, with troops running out of food, water and fuel. Soldiers are calling the 250-mile-long supply lines ? a network of roads toward U.S. troops south of Baghdad ? "ambush alley."

"We've got to the stage where some of the infantry here are down to one meal a day, so it's a pretty difficult situation supplying such a large and high-tech army," said the BBC's David Willis, with U.S. Marines in central Iraq.

There was some fighting today in Basra and in the southern oil fields, which the U.S.-led coalition had previously proclaimed under its control.
OK? Enough "names" for you? :p

rolleye.gif

Dont you find it odd that the secretary of defense and a general are discussing in public the strength and capabilities of our supply line. This smells of disinformation....

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

IF the Arabs are livid when FIFTY Iraqis are killed (probably by Saddam's orders to fire a missle on HIS people) by what they think is a US attack on cicilians, do you think they will even PAUSE to THINK? They will REACT and be INFLAMED by their religious leader "nuts".
ROFL

Are you joking? The Arabs have been "livid and enraged" by years of Israeli fighting and killing of civilians. The religious nuts as you call them, have yet to be able to inflame the Arab world enough to overrun them and push the Israelis into the sea as has been proclaimed ad infinitum. Get a grip. The one historic fact of the Arab world is disunity and given the past so-called attrocities, defeats and humiliations they have suffered you'd think they could get their act together by now. Fat chance. There are too many powers with conflicting interests.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jjones

ROFL

Are you joking? The Arabs have been "livid and enraged" by years of Israeli fighting and killing of civilians. The religious nuts as you call them, have yet to be able to inflame the Arab world enough to overrun them and push the Israelis into the sea as has been proclaimed ad infinitum. Get a grip. The one historic fact of the Arab world is disunity and given the past so-called attrocities, defeats and humiliations they have suffered you'd think they could get their act together by now. Fat chance. There are too many powers with conflicting interests.
You don't think MILLIONS of Iraqi casualties - all caused by the US and Britain's imperialist expansion (in their minds - which is the ONLY thing that counts) - will go unaddressed by the Arab world? I think you have no grasp of history or current events. :p

rolleye.gif

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

ROFL

You don't think MILLIONS of Iraqi casualties - all caused by the US and Britain's imperialist expansion (in their minds - which is the ONLY thing that counts) - will go unaddressed by the Arab world? I think you have no grasp of history or current events. :p

rolleye.gif

Just as you think the liberation of 20 million arabs would go unnoticed...
rolleye.gif

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison

rolleye.gif
By the Iraqis and the Arabs, yes . . . the Western world will believe Coalition Propaganda. The Arabs don't see this war as "liberating" they see it "wHolly Economic". :p

With 25% of the Iraqis dead and Baghdad a smoking wasteland, "liberation" is moot. :Q

You gotta remember it doesn't matter what WE think - the Jihad DEPENDS on what Arabs FEEL. ;)

rolleye.gif

Edited

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

rolleye.gif
By the Iraqis and the Arabs, yes . . . the Western world will believe Coalition Propaganda. The Arabs don't see this war as "liberating" they see it "wHolly Economic". :p

With 25% of the Iraqis dead and Baghdad a smoking wasteland, "liberation" is moot. :Q

You gotta remember it doesn't matter what WE think - the Jihad DEPENDS on what Arabs FEEL. ;)

rolleye.gif

Edited

quoted from one of the human sheilds that recently returned from baghdad

something to this effect
I am amazed at the precision, only goverment buildings have been hit. You have to drive around too look for damage.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif

Edited

quoted from one of the human sheilds that recently returned from baghdad

something to this effect
I am amazed at the precision, only goverment buildings have been hit. You have to drive around too look for damage.
So what! . . . the Arabs will never read this report . . . they remember the Iraqi Market place with 50 civilian dead and women and children crying. They don't even entertain the idea that Saddam probably ordered the strike . . . the Arabs WANT to believe the US/Britain is targeting civilians. :p

It is the ARABS that will start jihad . . . it doesn't depend on us at all. ;)

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
The Iraqi people will speak for us, when they are free to do so without fear of execution....

You give Saddam more crddit than he deserves, he is responsible for killing more muslims than anyone in the last 50 years and is hardly popular within the region...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Alistar7
The Iraqi people will speak for us, when they are free to do so without fear of execution....

You give Saddam more crddit than he deserves, he is responsible for killing more muslims than anyone in the last 50 years and is hardly popular within the region...
Again - you and most everyone else - are missing the point: IF saddam unleashed WMDs ON Baghdad in an orgy of mass-destruction at his "end" - there will be no time for ANYONE to speak "for" us. The arabs will "react", J-I-H-A-D.

I am NOT giving this evil dictator any "credit" - his stated goal is unite arabs in jihad against the West. It's pretty "simple" of a plan - and "effective" too - as NONE of you (me included) has a CLUE how to defeat this awful plan. :(

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Again - you and most everyone else - are missing the point: IF saddam unleashed WMDs ON Baghdad in an orgy of mass-destruction at his "end" - there will be no time for ANYONE to speak "for" us. The arabs will "react", J-I-H-A-D.

I am NOT giving this evil dictator any "credit" - his stated goal is unite arabs in jihad against the West. It's pretty "simple" of a plan - and "effective" too - as NONE of you (me included) has a CLUE how to defeat this awful plan. :(

That is still an IF.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

That is still an IF.
Clearly. Agreed. Without a doubt. Indubitably.

But it is not only a "possible IF" it is "likely".

If we are not prepared for this Baghdad Endgame, THEN we are NOT prepared. ;)

rolleye.gif

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

That is still an IF.

rolleye.gif

By time we decimate the 3 republican guard divisions outside of iraq, the ability to use WMD is going to be greatly reduced.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

That is still an IF.

rolleye.gif

By time we decimate the 3 republican guard divisions outside of iraq, the ability to use WMD is going to be greatly reduced.
That is what we HOPE.

;)