*UPDATE* Charle Rose - Saddam is Likely to Unleash WMD at his end.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
What I have been saying for days. :p

The point of this interview is that 1) Saddam is playing to world opinion so he can't use WMD yet

and

2) When he feels he has nothing to lose he WILL unleash them, damn the consequences to his people... and

worst of all,

Using WMD is Saddam's free choice to make. :Q

So, watcha think now?

**UPDATE:**
Today 04/04/03 PBS Charlie Rose.

The exact scenario above described in great detail and later in the thread by an analyst who said it is "likely", because Saddam is "Messianic" (in his mind and want to be immortalized) and at the LAST INSTANT of his defeat - when HE loses hope (because he knows if he is not in power, he dies anyway) he blows up Baghdad.

What I didn't know: The UN inspectors found that Saddam had PREARRANGED in 1991 - if the coalition was to take Baghdad - to launch ALL his SCUDS loaded with his chemical and biological WMD at Israel - even if his loyalists lost contact with Baghdad they were to launch.

Whatcha think, now?

I think our special ops boys better be pretty "special" to get us out of this scenario. ;)

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Its all speculation. No proof that they even have WMD so I'm not sure how they will unleash it.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: apoppin
What I have been saying for days. :p

The point of this interview is that 1) Saddam is playing to world opinion so he can't use WMD yet

and

2) When he feels he has nothing to lose he WILL unleash them, damn the consequences to his people... and

worst of all,

Using WMD is Saddam's free choice to make. :Q

So, watcha think now?

At the rate the iraqi army is being routed, Saddam himself may have to pull the WMD trigger himself.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Its all speculation. No proof that they even have WMD so I'm not sure how they will unleash it.
You are DREAMING. Saddam has known there would eventually be an invasion of his country after the first war - he has PREPARED for 12 years (and what the heck do you think all the chemical suits the Iraqi soldiers have are for?). He must have been CERTAIN 2 years ago when Bush's son became Pres that it was only a matter of time.

Saddam is CRAFTY and is more prepared then US.

EDIT:
At the rate the iraqi army is being routed, Saddam himself may have to pull the WMD trigger himself.
What news are you reading? The US army has been ordered to "wait" for 4-6 days as supplies catch up. The only thing "worse" is a retreat. :p

And the suicide attacks against US troops have begun.

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
What interview are you talking about? Who is making these claims and why should anyone believe that it's anything more than idle speculation? This is just more fear propaganda sponsored by the Bush administration. Chemical weapons would not even be very effective against US troops. They are well-prepared for it. As for bio weapons, even if Iraq had them I highly doubt they are sophisticated enough to be delivered in any effective manner. It's all spooky stories intended to scare the American public and make Iraq seem like some evil monster.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Good point. Are troops are very well prepared for most chemical attacks, and if Saddam used them, he would likely end up killing more of his own people than our troops.

OT...any chance he might be persuaded to use some chemical weapons on Wolf Blitzer? God I hate that guy...;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Morph
What interview are you talking about? Who is making these claims and why should anyone believe that it's anything more than idle speculation? This is just more fear propaganda sponsored by the Bush administration. Chemical weapons would not even be very effective against US troops. They are well-prepared for it. As for bio weapons, even if Iraq had them I highly doubt they are sophisticated enough to be delivered in any effective manner. It's all spooky stories intended to scare the American public and make Iraq seem like some evil monster.
Nightline.

Here is what I have been SPECULATING for days:

1) Saddam will wait until the Coalition is inside Baghdad and the fighting is in the streets. When he faces certain defeat, he will give the order (or press the damn button himself and

2) Set off every WMD available inside Baghdad - Conventional explosives, biological agents, chemical weapons and "dirty bomb" nukes.

This will 1) Kill MILLIONS of his own citizens and

2) Tens of thousands of Coalition forces.

and this will result in

ARAB anger exploding into a general Jihad against the US and Britain.

Why? Saddam has no moral qualms about sacrificing his own people - like he admires suicide bombers - to achieve his goal (jihad).

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: Insane3D

Are both of you serious? -- C'mon...

I am. While I think it is much more likely than not that Saddam has chemical weapons, I think this administration has made it out to be a worse case scenario. We still haven't seen them used or found anything, although the atropine and chemical suits do lend creedence to the idea that they at least were working with them at some point. The problem is most experts think Saddam is more concerned with his place in history, and using chemical weapons as a last resort will spoil the hero that stood up to the big bad americans image he is trying to propogate.

Either way, as someone else said, at this point, it is all speculation.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Good point. Are troops are very well prepared for most chemical attacks, and if Saddam used them, he would likely end up killing more of his own people than our troops.

OT...any chance he might be persuaded to use some chemical weapons on Wolf Blitzer? God I hate that guy...;)

Wouldn't it be funny if Geraldo was doing a report and got shot in the leg? He is one reporter who deserves it.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Nightline.

1) Saddam will wait until the Coalition is inside Baghdad and the fighting is in the streets. When he faces certain defeat, he will give the order (or press the damn button himself and

2) Set off every WMD available inside Baghdad - Conventional explosives, biological agents, chemical weapons and "dirty bomb" nukes.

and this will result in

Why? Saddam has no moral qualms about sacrificing his own people - like he admires suicide bombers - to achieve his goal (jihad).

Can you have a more bleak outlook? Why not throw WW3 and the end of the world in there as well?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dahunan

Are both of you serious? -- C'mon...

I am. While I think it is much more likely than not that Saddam has chemical weapons, I think this administration has made it out to be a worse case scenario. We still haven't seen them used or found anything, although the atropine and chemical suits do lend creedence to the idea that they at least were working with them at some point. The problem is most experts think Saddam is more concerned with his place in history, and using chemical weapons as a last resort will spoil the hero that stood up to the big bad americans image he is trying to propogate.

Either way, as someone else said, at this point, it is all speculation.
If he destroys Baghdad in an orgy of mass destruction - he will be easily able to BLAME the Coalition for killing civilians. The only people who matter - Arab opinion - will be influenced like never before and he will be a hero in their eyes.

And what's to say he can't destroy Baghdad and escape in the confusion also? He is far worse than Bin Laden on the lam.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You are DREAMING. Saddam has known there would eventually be an invasion of his country after the first war - he has PREPARED for 12 years (and what the heck do you think all the chemical suits the Iraqi soldiers have are for?). He must have been CERTAIN 2 years ago when Bush's son became Pres that it was only a matter of time.

Saddam is CRAFTY and is more prepared then US.

EDIT:
What news are you reading? The US army has been ordered to "wait" for 4-6 days as supplies catch up. The only thing "worse" is a retreat. :p

And the suicide attacks against US troops have begun.

The suicide attack have been occuring since our military entered the country. If the reports of 25,000 to 35,000 kia iraqis is true, that means we have a about a 10000:1 kill ratio.

This operation pause if true, only makes us stronger. The number of troops in Iraq is only increasing and it is quite possible in 6 days that a large chunk of the 4th ID could be in place. I think the question of the supply lines being weak is absoluty bogus since we have air dominance over 95% of Iraq. Anything that is needed could airlifted into place.

Remember while our guys get to take a breather, the other side does not.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Nightline.

and this will result in

Can you have a more bleak outlook? Why not throw WW3 and the end of the world in there as well?
You already did, thanks. ;)

:D

This is becoming the LIKELY scenario. Why do you think he will do otherwise? He is MAD and EVIL (and pretty smart too with many people who will die for him).

Some of our troops are down to one meal a day from 3. Bombs are falling, there is constant threat of ambush and chemicals. Do you seriously think our guys are resting well? And reinforcements are coming to Iraqi aid from Syria . . . :(

PLUS the Saddam Propaganda Machine marches on with images of civilian death for the arab world and abused POWs for the coalition.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Nightline.

and this will result in

This is becoming the LIKELY scenario. Why do you think he will do otherwise? He is MAD and EVIL (and pretty smart too with many people who will die for him).

Some of our troops are down to one meal a day from 3. Bombs are falling, there is constant threat of ambush and chemicals. Do you seriously think our guys are resting well? And reinforcements are coming to Iraqi aid from Syria . . . :(

PLUS the Saddam Propaganda Machine marches on with images of civilian death for the arab world and abused POWs for the coalition.

Please show where we have troops starving in the field. Please show were we have mass numbers of reinforcements coming in to aid Iraq. I bet you cant.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
If he destroys Baghdad in an orgy of mass destruction - he will be easily able to BLAME the Coalition for killing civilians. The only people who matter - Arab opinion - will be influenced like never before and he will be a hero in their eyes

I do not agree at all with that. Anyone with half a brain would know the US wouldn't use chemical, radiological, or other WMD on Baghdad like that. Some arab extremists might believe it, but most of the civilized world will see it for what it was...Saddam going out with a "bang".

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison
Nightline.

and this will result in

Please show where we have troops starving in the field. Please show were we have mass numbers of reinforcements coming in to aid Iraq. I bet you cant.
Just turn on the LATEST news. I am not goint to show you anything. (I did NOT say "starving"; I did NOT say "mass reinforcements". :p
If your gonna disagree with me, dont stick your words in my mouth in your weak attempt to discredit what I am REALLY saying.
rolleye.gif

I do not agree at all with that. Anyone with half a brain would know the US wouldn't use chemical, radiological, or other WMD on Baghdad like that. Some arab extremists might believe it, but most of the civilized world will see it for what it was...Saddam going out with a "bang".
The arabs WILL believe it. They ALREADY believe Saddam's BS about the Iraq civilian casualties and DISTRUST the US even MORE.

IF we had UN approval, this would have been avoided. Now it's the US/Britain against the Arab World. . . . Or certainly could be.

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
If the reports of 25,000 to 35,000 kia iraqis is true, that means we have a about a 10000:1 kill ratio.
Where are you getting these numbers for KIA? Seems far too high.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Nightline.

and this will result in

Just turn on the LATEST news. I am not goint to show you anything. :p

So in other words, you dont have any proof.

from the new york times

link

Another concern is the supply lines carrying what Maj. Dave Nathanson, a logistics officer with the Marines' Seventh Regimental Combat Team, called "the big four ? chow, water, ammunition and fuel." That supply line stretches back past the Kuwaiti border, stalled by congestion as well as ambushes. Sergeants have told marines in a number of units to cut back to only one daily combat ration, the infamous M.R.E., for Meal, Ready to Eat.

So the New York Time quotes an unnamed Sergeant from unnamed Marine Units and this becomes fact?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If the reports of 25,000 to 35,000 kia iraqis is true, that means we have a about a 10000:1 kill ratio.
Where are you getting these numbers for KIA? Seems far too high.

It was on the news earlier today,I will try to find a link.

But think about it, we have been dropping lots of precision ordinance since we entered iraq and we have routed the iraqi army in every battle.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Nightline.

and this will result in

from the new york times

link

Another concern is the supply lines carrying what Maj. Dave Nathanson, a logistics officer with the Marines' Seventh Regimental Combat Team, called "the big four ? chow, water, ammunition and fuel." That supply line stretches back past the Kuwaiti border, stalled by congestion as well as ambushes. Sergeants have told marines in a number of units to cut back to only one daily combat ration, the infamous M.R.E., for Meal, Ready to Eat.

So the New York Time quotes an unnamed Sergeant from unnamed Marine Units and this becomes fact?
No "proof" whatsoever for the words you stuck in my mouth - I did NOT say "starving"; I did NOT say "mass reinforcements". :p
If your gonna disagree with me, dont stick your words in my mouth in your weak attempt to discredit what I am REALLY saying. :p

EDIT: I guess you MISSED Nightline - there was lots of NAMED sources this time. :p

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Nightline.

and this will result in

from the new york times

link

No "proof" whatsoever for the words you stuck in my mouth - I did NOT say "starving"; I did NOT say "mass reinforcements". :p
If your gonna disagree with me, dont stick your words in my mouth in your weak attempt to discredit what I am REALLY saying. :p

So you are saying it is not bad as it sounds?

EDIT: I guess you MISSED Nightline - there was lots of NAMED sources this time. :p

Please list the names, as I would be interested in hearing them.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Sure - but next time I'd appreciate It if you did your OWN searches. :p

The ground "pause" was necessary, according to Lt. Gen. William Wallace, the Army's top commander at the front, because supply lines were stretched so thin. He also told reporters that Iraqi resistance was more intense than anticipated which could make the war longer.

Sources said his comments drew an angry phone call from his boss Gen. Tommy Franks. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld would not say if Wallace was in trouble.

"I suppose everyone can have their own view," Rumsfeld told reporters today.

The view from the field squared with what Wallace was saying, even if the Bush administration did not like it.

"The United States was planning on walking in here like it was easy and all," Marine Sgt. Jimmy Paiz said. "It's not that easy to conquer a country, is it?"

Supply lines, under continued assault from Iraqi guerrillas, appear to be under duress, with troops running out of food, water and fuel. Soldiers are calling the 250-mile-long supply lines ? a network of roads toward U.S. troops south of Baghdad ? "ambush alley."

"We've got to the stage where some of the infantry here are down to one meal a day, so it's a pretty difficult situation supplying such a large and high-tech army," said the BBC's David Willis, with U.S. Marines in central Iraq.

There was some fighting today in Basra and in the southern oil fields, which the U.S.-led coalition had previously proclaimed under its control.
OK? Enough "names" for you? :p

rolleye.gif