Update...Cannot get Windows 7 setup to move past the initial storage driver phase

gamefreakgcb

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Update: I finally got through after burning a new DVD and it didn't even ask me for any drivers. So confused. The previous cd and flash drive were made from the same ISO. So frustrating.

Hey all! I'm planning to a do a clean install on my desktop. I have a P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 motherboard and i5 2700K CPU with 8 GB RAM. I have the Win 7 PRO ISO on a flash drive with the Windows 7 USB download tool. I can boot into setup. I can go to diskpart and see that setup can see my SSD but as soon as I click Install Now, it says that a storage driver is missing. When browsing for the driver, I can see the SSD in the list as well. I have tried downloading the drivers from ASUS website the putting the 64 bit drivers on an external drive, which show up and I tried to install every device listed in the list but I still cannot get past and it keeps saying that no new device was detected. I then downloaded the install tool from Intel's website and copied all the drivers to an external drive, it can see the Z68 chipset, AHCI controller driver but I still cannot go past it. I tried the exact same method with the ISO burned to a DVD drive but still a no go. There is a current installation on the SSD which boots. I even went into diskpart and did the clean command but still a no go. Setup can see the drive but refuses to give me an option to intall to it.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

DigitalWolf

Feb 3, 2001
This may not be related, but just in case.

I have sometimes had a similar issue when installing to SSD and it only ever happened when I had my SATA controller set to AHCI.

If I set the controller to IDE then the install would work fine and I would set it to AHCI (in bios) after.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Just a couple things I thought of, which you may already have tried:

1. Be sure you are using the right SATA port on the Asus (an Intel chipset port as opposed to a Marvell or JMicron).
2. AHCI should work, but switching to IDE is worth checking at this point

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
This is a long shot, but disconnect all SSDs/HDDs except the one you are trying to install to.

gamefreakgcb

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Its on the correct port. All other controllers have been disabled in the BIOS. Only thing connected duting setup is the SSD, DVD Drive and the USB flash drive.

This may not be related, but just in case.

I have sometimes had a similar issue when installing to SSD and it only ever happened when I had my SATA controller set to AHCI.

If I set the controller to IDE then the install would work fine and I would set it to AHCI (in bios) after.

Is it a good idea to install windows on IDE mode and then switch to AHCI? Wouldn't that take away some of the benefits of SSD?

how you copy driver is what matters. you should be able to copy it to your usb disk. and you need to download special driver called "F6 driver"
maybe you have drive set to Marvell controller, instead of onboard?
these are F6 drivers for intel Z68 boards, thye should match yours as well:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3439&DwnldID=21756&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3439&DwnldID=21860&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

What do you mean by "how you copy the drivers is what matters"? I just copy pasted them to the flash drive after it was made by the USB download tool.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Are these the steps you followed? From your first post, it sounded like you went directly to the SSD with the ISO image -- after initially running diskpart, did you copy the installation files to the USB drive first?

Type the following commands into the window that just opened:

Type "list disk" and press "Enter." This command will list all the disk drives connected to your computer. Find the number of the USB drive that you'll be using for your Windows installation and write it down.

Type "select disk #" but replace the "#" symbol with the correct number for your USB drive. Press "Enter."

Type "clean" and press "Enter." All data on the flash drive will be erased to make room for the Windows operating system.

Type "Create partition primary" and press "Enter." This will make the flash drive a primary partition. Type "Select primary partition." Press "Enter."

Type "active" and press "Enter."

Type "format fs=fat32 quick" and press "Enter."

Type "assign" and press "Enter."

Copy the Windows installation files from your ISO disc image to the USB flash drive. Use WinRAR or 7-ZIP to open the ISO file and copy the Windows installation files to the flash drive.

Reboot the computer and configure the BIOS to boot from the USB flash drive. The method for accessing the BIOS setup page varies depending on your computer brand and model. Refer to your computer's documentation for specific instructions.

Restart the computer. The PC will boot from the USB flash drive...

gamefreakgcb

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
OK, Finally got it to work. I just burned another CD and this time it went through without any problems. This was such a frustrating experience because the previous CD and the Flash Drive, which were made from the same ISO did not work. Thanks for all the help guys.