Update! Available for purchase - C4 Mousing Surface Information

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Update from Sher
Ok--Here's what we have learned from the Beta Tests on C4:
1. C4 has been received extremely well and has performed even better than anticipated: Ratings were very high in Speed, Responsiveness, and improved performance. Many cited examples of vastly improved "kill" / hit rates; several reported improved standings in gaming competitions.
2. Performance of C4 (and non-C4) is greatly enhanced by use of Teflon Mouse Tape or Discs on the Mouse feet.
3. This did not come from the Test results but I know it to be true: We do not yet know the Lifespan of the product. The last thing we want to do is dissapoint this market so I have tried to price the product accordingly.
4. We need to ship C4 in a tube to avoid creasing by mail deliverers.
5. Many would like a different color / mounted product. This I cannot do at this price level.
6. Many would like a different size. This we can do.
7. C4 must be shipped and applied with care because it can crease or get air pockets. The bigger it is, the harder it may be to apply. We have therefore decided to CONDITIONALLY RELEASE the product with the following Conditional Release notes: "*Still in Beta Test; Lifespan Unknown; When applying, Take Great Care to avoid creases, bubbles; Strongly recommend Teflon Mouse Discs or Tape on Mice Feet; Ships in tube". Hopefully, this will allow the potential buyer to make a decision based on truthful disclosures.

A Thank you to all of you at the Forum for your interest and input. It's been a blast! The C4 is now available on our MouseWare page. Here I would like to continue to get feedback as the product is used. Some participants have not yet sent in feedback. Please do send those in as they are completed.

I would also like to hear comments on how we should increase market exposure for C4? Lan Parties? Gaming Competitions? Paid advertising on formats like Anandtech?

THANKS AGAIN! Sher

Continued from this thread.

contact Sherry at sobrien42@earthlink.net
"ALWAYS INCLUDE YOUR BETA TESTER # with all correspondence".

Here's the template to fill out btw (asked to be filled out by 10/31):

--------

Best Tester # __
1. I would describe myself as a (gamer, cad system user)
2. For this beta test, I tested C4 an average of __hrs per day, __ of the days per week from ____2003 to _____2003.
3. My mouse is __optical __wireless __wired __other_______
4. Type of Mouse: Mfr __________________
5. Rate C4 for the following with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest rating:
Speed __
Responsiveness __
Smoothness __
Helps me compute/game better __
I would be willing to purchase C4 up to $__ per mat
Ergonomics (hand/wrist comfort) rating __
Color __
I would like a larger __ / smaller __ size
Overall rating _______________________________________
Additional comments: ____________________________________

Maddscientist

Jun 26, 2003
Best Tester # __
1. I would describe myself as a Gamer
2. For this beta test, I tested C4 an average of 10 hrs per day, 2 of the days per week from 10-14-2003 to 10-15-2003. {MaxPayne 2 need I say more, and 2 days off work helped!]
3. My mouse is Optical Intellimouse 2.0
4. Type of Mouse: Microsoft
5. Rate C4 for the following with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest rating:
Speed 10
Responsiveness 10
Smoothness 10
Helps me compute/game better 8-9? Still need more testing....
I would be willing to purchase C4 up to $19.95 per mat 16x16inches
Ergonomics (hand/wrist comfort) rating ++ No diffrence that was noticed
Color Copper
I would like a larger size pad!
Overall rating Its hard to rate something perfect, and this is no diffrent. Yes it seems to offer less friction than a normal mouse pad but I almost think the skates supplied with the pad are the culprite of that since after I placed them on my mouse feet I cant tell the diffrence [Except for more responsive tracking I must admit.] between the c4 and my plain jane cloth 12x16 compusa giant mousepad that is around a year old. But that may just be from constant usage and oily skin making it slippery :p Gross I know but its the truth. But I must admit the better tracking is a very nice high point and im happy with its performance so far. The only other gripe I can think of is that I dont think it will stay stuck to the surfice I placed it on [In the middle of above mouse pad....And I even cleaned it and dried it before applying the abhesive side of the c4 to it. I think that it will start to peel in a few months but then again thats just what I think I could be wrong. Only time will tell.
Additional comments: Read above :)

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Pudgygiant
Can I get dibs if there's another open tester job?
Sherry already has 15 more than originally planned :) But the product should be out in just a little bit, and it'll be worth your $$.

To answer Maddscientist's response of "Yes it seems to offer less friction than a normal mouse pad but I almost think the skates supplied with the pad are the culprit", I'm going to have to disagree.

I'm using a Logitech MX700 (was using the original Ratpad, now using the discs and the C4, and I can tell a noticeable difference when going directly from the C4 to the Ratpad (having the discs on now). I plan on buying another sheet of this stuff (or more) when this stuff "hits the shelves"

taltos1

Nov 15, 2001
I too, am still very interested. PLease let me know if that is still possible.

Thanks

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: taltos1
I too, am still very interested. PLease let me know if that is still possible.

Thanks

ill be a beta tester..if this is still open..you can PM me..like how you did before :)

Maddscientist

Jun 26, 2003
To answer Maddscientist's response of "Yes it seems to offer less friction than a normal mouse pad but I almost think the skates supplied with the pad are the culprit", I'm going to have to disagree.

I guess this would be a good clause then "User results may vary" :)

sobrien42

Aug 14, 2003
http://www.bunkermentality.net/mousemat03.html

tHAT'S A REIVEIW OF OUR SITE, ENCOURAGING US TO REKLEASE C4 to market. We will release to market wk of 11/03/03. All feed baCK IS EXCELLENT AT THIS POINT, LOWEST BEING 7 OUT OF 10 (HIGHEST). hIGHEST RATING OVERALL = 9.5!! OF 10. wE'LL RELEASE sMALL 8X9"; mEDIUM 9.5 X 11.5 AND LARGE 16" X 16". tHIS WILL END UP BEING A HOT DEAL because we priced it much lower than other competing mousepads.

3C4- order here wk of Nov 3, 03

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Best Tester # 25
1. I would describe myself as a gamer
2. For this beta test, I tested C4 an average of 4hrs per day, 2 of the days per week from oct 16 2003 to oct 19 2003.
3. My mouse is x optical x wired
4. Type of Mouse: Mfr microsoft AND logitech
5. Rate C4 for the following with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest rating: 9.5? for beta test size, 10 if large like ratzpadGS.:)
Speed 10
Responsiveness 10
Smoothness 10
Helps me compute/game better -certainly seems to
I would be willing to purchase C4 up to $8 per mat if its larger
Ergonomics (hand/wrist comfort) rating 10
Color 9
I would like a larger X / smaller __ size
Overall rating-very impressive, it is the smoothest slickest mousemat i've ever used. and when combined with teflon tape mousefeet the smoothness is simply silky. at first i thought it was almost too slick, but i quickly got used to it. going back to my ratzpad after 3 days felt like i was dragging my mouse over rough paper. such low effort made aiming in games easier and quicker.
Additional comments: the only gripe is size, because i'm used to ratzpad GS size, which is much larger then a normal pad:) but i guess that is easily fixed.

you should probably send a few to main hardware sites like anandtech, tomshardware, sharkyextreme, firingsquad, dansdata.com to get reviewed:)

awesome!

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
sounds awesome, I'm excited to see how this C4 stuff turns out :) Mice Ice was just "ok", but from what I'm reading, this C4 mat will blow away every other mousepad out there! Kudos to Sheridan OBrien and CSHYDE :)

Maddscientist

Jun 26, 2003
Ok after a whole week of testing I have changed my tune on a few prior judgments.

First of all I said that I thought it would peel off......Im thinking I was wrong since my 3 year old tried to do just that and failed. I stand corrected!

As to me saying I needed to do more testing to see if it improved my gaming....Well again I stand corrected since people I play cs with and have had for years, 2 years to be exact. Now some of them think I cheat due to the insaine amount of headshots I now get.....A good thing and a bad thing Im thinking. So for my nasty 60% headshot ratio increase I give c4 10-10 Starz!

sobrien42

Aug 14, 2003
Here's Feedback Form from Beta Tester #23:

Best Tester # 23
1. I would describe myself as a (gamer, cad system user): Gamer, Home Use, Contest entry

2. For this beta test, I tested C4 an average of 6hrs per day, 7 of the days per week from 10 11 2003 to 10 17 2003+

3. My mouse is :Wired/ Ball

4. Type of Mouse: Dell branded logitec wheel mouse

Speed 9

Responsiveness 9

Smoothness 9

Helps me compute/game better 9

I would be willing to purchase C4 up to $4 per mat

Ergonomics (hand/wrist comfort) rating: 5? its nice and smooth

Color: not what I would have picked, its a little dark

I would like a: Larger

Overall rating I like it

Additional comments: any way to make it a little thicker? it seems to show some creasing and imperfections of the surface it is put on (dell mousepad)

sobrien42

Aug 14, 2003
Here's Feedback Form of Tester #22:

"Best Tester # 22
1. I would describe myself as a Gamer
2. For this beta test, I tested C4 an average of 10 hrs per day, 2 of the days per week from 10-14-2003 to 10-15-2003. {MaxPayne 2 need I say more, and 2 days off work helped!]
3. My mouse is Optical Intellimouse 2.0
4. Type of Mouse: Microsoft
Speed 10
Responsiveness 10
Smoothness 10
Helps me compute/game better 8-9? Still need more testing....
I would be willing to purchase C4 up to $19.95 per mat 16x16inches
Ergonomics (hand/wrist comfort) rating ++ No diffrence that was noticed
Color Copper
I would like a larger size pad!
Overall rating Its hard to rate something perfect, and this is no diffrent. Yes it seems to offer less friction than a normal mouse pad but I almost think the skates supplied with the pad are the culprite of that since after I placed them on my mouse feet I cant tell the diffrence [Except for more responsive tracking I must admit.] between the c4 and my plain jane cloth 12x16 compusa giant mousepad that is around a year old. But that may just be from constant usage and oily skin making it slippery :p Gross I know but its the truth. But I must admit the better tracking is a very nice high point and im happy with its performance so far. The only other gripe I can think of is that I dont think it will stay stuck to the surfice I placed it on [In the middle of above mouse pad....And I even cleaned it and dried it before applying the abhesive side of the c4 to it. I think that it will start to peel in a few months but then again thats just what I think I could be wrong. Only time will tell.
Additional comments: Read above :)"

sobrien42

Aug 14, 2003
Feedback from #7 Beta Tester:

1. I would describe myself as .A Gamer ____ Cad System User____ Other _Software Engineer___
2. For this Beta Test, I tested C4 an average of __10____ hrs per day, ___5____of days per week from _________2003 to ________ 2003

3. My mouse is Optical _V_ Wheel___ Wireless____ Wired_V__ Other_____
4. Type of Mouse: Mfr___Microsoft_____________ Model_Intellimouse Explorer___________
5. Rate C4 for the following with 1 being the lowest rating to 10 being highest (best) rating:
Speed _____10_______
Responsiveness ____7_________
Smoothness_________5_____________
Helps me compute/game better _____yes___________
I would be willing to purchase C4 for up to $____4______ per mat.
Ergonomics (hand/wrist comfort) rating_________3________________
Color________2_________________________
I would like a larger ______V______ / smaller ____________ size
OVERALL RATING_______7______________________________________
Additional comments:

When my hands were wet, the surface got a little bit sticky.
Design could be better, better color, logo(?) etc?
I think the surface texture makes the mouse pointer a little bit jumpy.(Optical mouse)

I will add more comments after using the pad more.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Maddscientist
it seems to show some creasing and imperfections of the surface it is put on
Dido although it does not screw up performance.....
ditto that as well. I didn't see a purpose in increasing the thickness from 0.4mm to 0.6mm but I can see a reason for it now.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Here's mine:

Best Tester # 18
1. I would describe myself as a gamer, website designer
2. For this beta test, I tested C4 an average of 4 hrs per day, 6 of the days per week from 10/16/2003 to 10/20/2003.
3. My mouse is optical, wireless
4. Type of Mouse: Mfr Logitech MX700
Speed 10
Responsiveness 10
Smoothness 10
Helps me compute/game better 9
I would be willing to purchase C4 up to $10 per 16"x16" mat
Ergonomics (hand/wrist comfort) rating 6
Color 7
I would like a larger size. Either the medium or large size being offered now should do it
Overall rating 9/10
Additional comments: I have noticed like others that after use (just 4 days in my case) that imperfections and creasing occurs on the surface. I think that increasing the thickness of this from 0.4mm to 0.6mm should help in this area. Also perhaps offering a flat plastic material with rubber feet on the bottom to attach this to would be nice. Perhaps as another item to sell, for a couple bucks more. (i.e. a ready to go mousepad instead of selling just the surface). Regarding the mice feet that were included. These were too large as I had to cut them down to size as well. Perhaps offering 1/2" discs in addition to the 3/4" discs would be nice. Thanks for the opportunity to test this as it was a hit among the gamers at the LAN I hosted this past weekend (they were very interested in the potential of the product as well)