Upconverting filter?

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I figure since there are up-converting DVD players that do a pretty decent job, there should be an algorithm for the PC that can do the same thing. I have so many TV shows/movies that are in SD content 480i or P and I would love to be able to watch them in HD.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists for the PC? I have an HD4850 if it makes a difference.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Yeah there are free things like ffdshow and dscaler and whatever that use sophisticated filtering to give better upsampling to HD output.

In the commercial realm a lot of stuff like Nvidia's PureVideo HD, ATI AVIVO, several of the popular HD capable DVD player programs et. al. do use such things. GPU assisted HD video playback as well as better filtering capabilities for upsampling / deinterlacing / etc. are major features of new video chips in the NVIDIA 8xxx / 9xxxx GTX2 series as well as the ATI 3xxx series. The application software to take advantage of the GPU assisted filtering is lagging a bit.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, the new Corel WinDVD 9 has a feature to upconvert regular DVD's, but you have to disable hardware acceleration within the program to activate it. Strangely enough I tweaked the AVIVO settings on my card, in the Advanced Quality Settings, I turned Edge Enhancement on and moved the slider to 64 and looks pretty much the same as the WinDVD 9 upconverting feature, with slighly better colors since I activated again the WinDVD Hardware Acceleration, give it a try if you have ATi HD Hardware.