upcoming intel cpu

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
is it worth waiting for upcoming intel cpu for gaming pc
What CPU is Intel coming out with this year, or even next year for gaming ? Other than the 9990KF or KS or whatever. The new Zen2 coming out in a month should equal or beat that 9900KS, and run cooler, and require less of a heatsink, etc.

Reactions: Drazick

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The only gaming CPU intel is coming out with this year is the overclocked 9900K (9900KS) and really won't perform noticeably better than what you could do with a few tweaks yourself. It isn't supposed to come out until the end of the year, either. If I were you, I'd wait to see how the new AMD chips do in gaming when they release in about 1 month and then make a decision at that time. At worst it might force intel to drop the price a bit on the 9900K if you didn't like what you saw on the AMD side.

Reactions: turtile

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
The op has a thread about 4k upgrades. Given what links i showed from that thread he could pick any cpu from a Ryzen 1600 to the upcoming 9900ks and still have currently the same exact fps experience on any chip with his considered gpu upgrade choices.

I would gladly put the money saved with the 1600 over a 9900k and put it into the gpu budget given this is a 4k build. Over $300 of savings and no difference in fps anyways. You could very well be in 2080 territory over your proposed 1660ti/2060. Gpu matters way more for gaming at 4k.

I do believe you mentioned there is work done on your tower and if so, i think the 3900x if you must wait is maybe going to be the chip of the year. Its pretty a toss up between maximum work efficiency or maximum gaming performance. Ryzen 3000 series may be the option that just appeases everyone period with no compromises.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@mopardude87

Sadly I concur. I don't know that I would be comfortable recommending a 1600 per se unless the ONLY thing he will do is play games. But he should be saving up for a 2080Ti if that's really what he wants to do.

If he has work to do then it's a different story. I would not be looking at Intel this year for a multifunction machine. Six months ago? 9900k, sure, if it's a "must have right now". Today? 3900x.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
@mopardude87

Sadly I concur. I don't know that I would be comfortable recommending a 1600 per se unless the ONLY thing he will do is play games. But he should be saving up for a 2080Ti if that's really what he wants to do.

His other thread he was going on about wanting a 4k 60fps experience in BF and in Metro. I had mentioned in that thread already what he would have to prioritize his usages and pick from that. My recommendation was if he was mostly gaming. The other threads main op mainly was on about gaming but after recommendations he mentioned video editing.

Currently he has some budget and its resulting in some very interesting part choices. $500 Intel cpus but 1660ti as a possible match up? I thought some people would want more balance especially given the 4k resolution.

If he could save more then oh yeah but currently he has a restricting budget that hurts either of the 2 major parts. If the video editing was something that was done occasionally would it be so bad if it was on a 1600 though? He sits on a 2500k not overclocked in a B75 mobo. When he goes from a possible 1660ti to a 2080 that has to be more beneficial?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@mopardude87

At that point it's going to depend on the software, and how well that 1600 stacks up against his overclocked 2500k (assuming he OCs the 1600 as well). It should fare pretty well, given stronger cores (but lower clocks), twice as many cores[/a] 50% more cores, and SMT. If he wants 60 fps .1% frametimes @4k, he needs a pretty beefy card. 1660Ti won't get him there.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
@mopardude87

At that point it's going to depend on the software, and how well that 1600 stacks up against his overclocked 2500k (assuming he OCs the 1600 as well). It should fare pretty well, given stronger cores (but lower clocks), twice as many cores, and SMT. If he wants 60 fps .1% frametimes @4k, he needs a pretty beefy card. 1660Ti won't get him there.

Yeah he has his 2500k locked down with no overclocking. In his other thread he had even asked about bottlenecking with the 1660ti on that i5. So idk if he is deliberating between saving money,putting more into the cpu then gpu or what. I wouldn't care about bottlenecking on the i5 if i had real plans of upgrading the cpu anyways.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I really dont have an affinity for Intel or AMD, that being said, the latest crop of security issues, that when patched degrades performance, has scared me off Intel until I am satisfied its over. Good grief I "just" assembled this 16/32 dual socket xeon based on sandy and its right smack in middle of all this $€€×#£... Bottom line, even if the Intel rig had 10% more performance and was 10% cheaper I wouldnt jump it. Its AMD right now or nothing.
IMO.

Reactions: lightmanek

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Someone who waits that long to buy a CPU was probably not going to buy the latest and greatest anyway.

SB is 8 years old now.

A Ryzen chip will serve you well when you need to upgrade.
By then, we will probably be on whole different generations of chips.

The security patches have never bothered me since I am just a normal computer user.

We know that a few of the new Intel chips already have some hardware mitigations in place.

The security battle is always ongoing and that will always be the case.

Crackers are always trying to get in, and they usually do eventually.

With the wide publicity of Spectre and Meltdown and the vulnerability of Intel (and AMD) to that type of exploit, the crackers are probably hard at work seeing how they can use the info.

Just keep security in mind for your important machines and don't do anything silly.

For a regular net surfing machine, don't keep anything important on it and don't use it for anything important.
If the crooks get a hold of it, just wipe it.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If the crooks get a hold of it, just wipe it.

UEFI can be hacked though. Once that happens, unless you have dual UEFI and can boot from the other and clean the infected UEFI somehow, the board is scrap.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
UEFI can be hacked though. Once that happens, unless you have dual UEFI and can boot from the other and clean the infected UEFI somehow, the board is scrap.
Yes, we should all have a cheap machine with nothing important on it for everyday internet use.

You can't go through life afraid to cross the street every day. :)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yes, we should all have a cheap machine with nothing important on it for everyday internet use.

True. The point is that you can no longer be sure that an infected machine is one wipe/reinstall away from working properly. Used to be people were worried that HDD firmware could be corrupted, but it turns out, it's your motherboard that is vulnerable to permanent infection. Maybe if you have secure boot active all the time, you will be safe.

Someone using an Intel CPU exploit to bring a motherboard would be a worst-case scenario that I have yet to hear of in the wild. May it stay that way.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
to be honest im going with the next new enthusiast class cpu which will give at least 96 pci-e lanes.
I dont care if its AMD or Intel.... as long as it has 96 PCI-E Lanes....

Overclocks? meh.... u dont need overclocks , they all clock near the same.... you however NEED PCI-E LANES!
PCI-E Lanes is the next Prime32 benchmark... you can laugh at people with 24, smirk at 44, but when someone floors you with 96 lanes, you can only say OMG..

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Markfw

May 16, 2002
to be honest im going with the next new enthusiast class cpu which will give at least 96 pci-e lanes.
I dont care if its AMD or Intel.... as long as it has 96 PCI-E Lanes....

Overclocks? meh.... u dont need overclocks , they all clock near the same.... you however NEED PCI-E LANES!
PCI-E Lanes is the next Prime32 benchmark... you can laugh at people with 24, smirk at 44, but when someone floors you with 96 lanes, you can only say OMG..
64 is not enough for TR2 ?

Reactions: scannall

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
We have this technology nowadays, called "Virtual Machines". :p (Edit: And likewise, Sandboxes. Even MS provides this feature in Windows 10 version 1903 now.)
But it's a good idea to LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing. Which is more than I can say for some people (immersed in their phone playing P.Go., etc.)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
We have this technology nowadays, called "Virtual Machines". :p

Funny you should mention that. Sidechannel attacks can break into/out of VMs, which is one of the things that makes them so deadly . . . and why server room admins care the most about such attacks.

So much for the sandbox.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
64 is not enough for TR2 ?

nope...

I want 4 x 16 full lengths = 64
I want 4 x 4xNVMe's without tapping into my SATA ports. = 16
I want 1 x 8x for 10GBe future = 8
I want 2 x 4x for whatever future = 8
= 96pci-e lanes

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Markfw

May 16, 2002
nope...

I want 4 x 16 full lengths = 64
I want 4 x 4xNVMe's without tapping into my SATA ports. = 16
I want 1 x 8x for 10GBe future = 8
I want 2 x 4x for whatever future = 8
= 96pci-e lanes

EPYC has 128 lanes. And the 7551p has 32 cores, and is only $2,317

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
True. The point is that you can no longer be sure that an infected machine is one wipe/reinstall away from working properly. Used to be people were worried that HDD firmware could be corrupted, but it turns out, it's your motherboard that is vulnerable to permanent infection. Maybe if you have secure boot active all the time, you will be safe.

Someone using an Intel CPU exploit to bring a motherboard would be a worst-case scenario that I have yet to hear of in the wild. May it stay that way.
The cheap machine has a cheap mobo. If you can't get rid of the germs, recycle the mobo.